MDing in Phoenix

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I've done some detecting in Mesa, but not Phoenix, although I have an area in Phoenix I am planning on checking out.

As for the house you mentioned, that may be a good target, I've never heard a thing about it!

OP
OP
K

KIG877

May 23, 2009
yeah if you can get permission it would be nice,maybe find a murder weapon, downtown phoenix , is pretty old ,there used to be a poor house 4 miles from city hall, an orphanage too, some segrated church building,and a lot of motor camps,I would like to check out the poor house area i don't know what there now ,but im curious

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I sent you PM about the general area I am interested in . . . I think you might be able to find some old maps of Phoenix online, I have seen a few.

Zectron2348

Aug 8, 2009
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT DFX MXT, many Minelabs, many Fishers, Tesoro Bandido, Lobo, Cortez, efx ground MX400, Treasure Commander TC2X, original Bounty Hunter Red Baron, and many more!
I live in Mesa now, but the first 35 years of my life I lived in Phoenix, and have done a lot of detecting there. I also had lots of friends and relatives who lived in some of the old parts of Phoenix and attempted to do some detecting in those areas. Lots of old schools and parks in the central Phoenix area, great places for old silver coins and lost jewelry, ...... but I wouldn't attempt to detect in them today, too dangerous.

Problem is most of those areas have degraded to lets just say, "not so good" parts of town, and after many nerve racking experiences with local hoods and gang bangers, I decided getting mugged, robbed, or killed was not worth finding some silver coins or a few rings. Detecting is a great hobby, but when a bunch of thugs suddenly appear and seem to want to take your detector, wallet, car keys, and anything else on your person, suddenly it isn't fun any more. It got to the point I was carrying a firearm for protection, and in today's world, that's a big NO NO in parks and on school property, (if you can find an old school that is not locked up solid like a prison).

Point is, if you decide to attempt to detect those places, go in numbers, and be watchfull and carefull. Some parts of Phoenix are just not too friendly.

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Makes you kind of wonder what some of the Phoenix cops actually DO for a living! I drove a taxi for a short time and ended up in the kind area you are talking about several times, and it was not particularly much fun ::)

OP
OP
K

KIG877

May 23, 2009
I know even where I am is deterorated since I was growing up

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I drove an 18 wheeler over the road for two years and ended up in a lot of areas like that, and never had any major problems with anyone. I have been in some hair raising situations before, but have always managed to fox my way out of them one way or another.
I was in a rest area one time and these bikers were starting to act threatening, and while I knew they were watching me, I looked down at the console of the vehicle (where someone would keep a gun) and then rolled my window down a little and said cooly, "I am leaving before someone gets hurt". Which gave me just enough time while they were thinking about it to back out of my parking spot and get the h%#! out of there before anything did happen, and no, I did not have a gun at the time, it was a complete bluff.

Zectron2348

Aug 8, 2009
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT DFX MXT, many Minelabs, many Fishers, Tesoro Bandido, Lobo, Cortez, efx ground MX400, Treasure Commander TC2X, original Bounty Hunter Red Baron, and many more!
Skywola said:
Makes you kind of wonder what some of the Phoenix cops actually DO for a living! I drove a taxi for a short time and ended up in the kind area you are talking about several times, and it was not particularly much fun ::)

Phoenix cops do a great job, but unfortunately they can only make the arrests, it then goes to the court system, .......... which drops the ball and the bad guys walk. My son is a Mesa cop and I know of what I speak. People think cops get frustrated with all the crime they have to deal with, ............. NO, .............. they get frustrated with a court system which allows the vermin they work hard to arrest, walk right back out onto the street. My son just told me of arresting a guy last week which had 12 pages of former arrests / convictions. Why was this clown still walking free?

No, just like LA, parts of Phoenix have become war zones because of a failing court system, not poor law enforcement.

OP
OP
K

KIG877

May 23, 2009
I was living on the street in downtown Phoenix, Luckly nothing happened to me or my family,

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I don't trust the cops much more than I trust the criminals. I had one that lied about what happened, trying to get me in trouble with a judge, but fortunately for me, (and I was representing myself) just the way things went down in court exposed the truth. No, I don't trust the police so much, not when they commit purjury. If you are sworn to uphold the law, then you should do just that, and do it honorably.

I've seen cops go after people for little knit-pick s***!, and it seems that some of them are just on a power trip, they'd rather hassel the average citizen (safer) than go after the real criminals (more dangerous). I'm sure there are some good cops out there and I certainly appreciate what they do if they do it honorably . . . . but I think there are plenty of bad ones out there too.

Zectron2348

Aug 8, 2009
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Skywola said:
I don't trust the cops much more than I trust the criminals. I had one that lied about what happened, trying to get me in trouble with a judge, but fortunately for me, (and I was representing myself) just the way things went down in court exposed the truth. No, I don't trust the police so much, not when they commit purjury. If you are sworn to uphold the law, then you should do just that, and do it honorably.

I've seen cops go after people for little knit-pick s***!, and it seems that some of them are just on a power trip, they'd rather hassel the average citizen (safer) than go after the real criminals (more dangerous). I'm sure there are some good cops out there and I certainly appreciate what they do if they do it honorably . . . . but I think there are plenty of bad ones out there too.

That is a shame you feel that way. It is always sad when a tiny tiny % can influence someones opinion about the whole.

My youngest son is a Mesa patrol/SWAT cop, and a very good one. I personally have known and been around many LEOs in my life and they were all fine honorable men with high integrity and dedication. Yes there is a bad one now and then, but watching my son and his department very closely, I am amazed at the efforts the department takes to find and weed those guys out, but unfortunately the general public is not aware of all that and just assumes most cops are "Iffy" at best becassue of a bad one.

Sad, but I gess we do live in a world of quick conclusions and judgements.

Hope you have better luck in the future if you ever are in need of a LEO, or have contact with one.

iimageaz

Jul 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in downtown Phoenix and have been fascinated with Winnie Ruth's Case. I believe she was railroaded. THe house does still exist but the original address was changed so many people believe the house was demolished. NOT true. I drove by it just a week ago and it appears to have occupants. As a professional Photographer, I would LOVE to photograph the residence should any other hunters out there want to tag team and approach the residents for permission to explore in the near future!

iimageaz

Jul 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, as of 2013, this area is not "unsafe" - the arts district and historic neighborhoods in the surrounding areas tend to shield the area from transients. Sadly, the house in only one of a handful left in this centralized area and I am sure that the Winnie Ruth Judd "murder house" too will be gone soon. It is currently surrounded by a few scattered houses and lots of skyscrapers.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
mesa is not phoenix...comparisons are apples an oranges...

lived in lehi area for years, loved it...
wouldn't live in phoenix if you paid me...I was arrested walking home from an arts fair in phoenix. towards tempe...for having drugs...
the "drugs", were two pieces of turquoise cabbed for a bracelet I was making...in my pocket...ruined my turquoise, no charges, no apology.
sure had fun that night...lots of bruises from up against the wall mf. head slam...kidney punch's...then have to walk home in the middle of the night from county lock up...on Madison...
yea...phoenix police are soooo professional, why hasn't one arrested that fat, drunk, sheriff ho?

sorry, couldn't help myself...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions