MDing the Outer Banks

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Silver, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hi folks,

I'm pretty new at mding, been at it since July. Haven't found anything more than clad and only a couple of dollars.

I'm getting the Tesoro Tiger Shark tomorrow (can't wait!) and heading to the Outer Banks early Friday morning. I know we can't detect on the National Seashore, but I'm wondering if anyone knows a good place to break in and get to know the Tiger Shark. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sue

Upvote 0

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Have hunted some down there. Need a storm to make it good. Would hit the public beach access points. VA beach is a good spot to have a chance for some gold. About 2 hours north good luck.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The settings for the Sensitivity on the Tiger Shark are set about as far as it can be at the factory for MAX sensitivity. If you open it up and turn it up higher you could mess it up and have trouble getting it stable again. I suggest not touching this pot unless you change to the larger coil and then you need to turn it down.

Good Luck. You'll start finding gold soon, just make sure you can hear a pull tab when you wave the coil over it.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Sue,

I would recommend highly populated public areas first also. Dry beaches are good locations to try out that new water detector. You can also take it to an Elementary School Playground also. I have done this with many of my detectors when trying to learn them and did so with my Garrett Infinium water machine. You want a place that has lots of targets so that you can get accustomed to the operation. Public beaches are really good for this.

I hope you enjoy your machine. I have limited water experience but I am learning. So far in two good outings with my new Infinium, I have an 8 ring total. 4 were precious metal and 4 junk. All were in the water. Nothing from the sandy beach area yet but I really have not spent much time on the shore with it.

I am a Tesoro man also. I have three Tesoro Land Machines. Two of them are old by modern standards but they get results and I love them. I know you will like your Shark.

Good luck!

Jim

OP
OP
X

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Hi,

Thank you for your responses. I got the Tiger Shark a couple of hours ago, I'm so excited! Can't wait to get to the Outer Banks and try it out. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have a question about the TS. I did the set-up and the air test just like the manual said to and it worked fine, as far as I can tell. The threshhold sound is a bit loud for me and I'm not sure if I should try lowering the threshhold or the volume. Anyone have an idea? My first instinct is lower the volume, mainly because I'm afraid to touch anything else, Help! Also I got four little tubes of silicone with the TS. There's nothing in the manual about what to do with them. I'm guessing I should use them in the space where the control face fits into the control box. Sound about right?

Thanks,
Sue

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey again Sue,

I believe you are right with the Silicone. If your shark has a rubber seal in the area you speak of, that would be where the Silicone would go but sparingly.

As far as your volume or threshold choice, it is usually a matter of choice but I try to adjust my threshold on my machines that have one to a point where it is barely audible and then keep my volume as high as I can stand it on a loud target. This helps me hear subtle changes in the threshold if there is a possible deep target. My old Tesoro's are silent hunters so I am not familiar with using a Tesoro with a threshold. My Garrett Infinium and my Minelab have threshold adjustments and I do as stated above. I did hit some electrical interference the other day at the beach in one area with my Minelab that I could not overcome so I turned my threshold until it went silent and used it as a silent machine. The targets still gave a good audible signal but the random beeping from the electrical noise was not audible.

Good Luck and hope you do well. Let us know how it goes.

Jim

OP
OP
X

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Hi,

Well the Outer Banks were a bust, good stuff wise. I did find three old rusty nails, some wire, a piece of metal that I have no idea what it is and a weird looking red rock. The rock has some kind of metallic property because it registered with the detector. It's about 4 pounds and has a pitted appearance. I'll try to post a picture later, maybe someone has a idea what it may be. I was on the beach in Corolla, right off one of the public access points.

For all you TS experts. A few times I'd get a hit on the low end of the tone, but when I'd dig I couldn't find anything. I'm pretty sure I did the quick start and ground balancing correctly. Any idea why that would happen?

Thanks,
Sue

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread