Medal detecting out of town

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife travels all over the country with here job. She's usually gone for a week at a time in different cities. My question is, Do any of you take your medal detector with you when you travel? Iv'e only traveled with her a couple times in 10 years because I'm not going somewhere just to sit in the hotel pool all day. Now that I'm retired and have got back into hunting, I could go with here and metal detect cities all over the US. Just out of curiosity, how many of you would reply if you got a PM that I was coming to your area and if you were available would want to meet a stranger to go hunting with? We had something like this when I had my Goldwing motorcycle. It was called the Gold Book. It had GWRRA (GoldWing Road Riders Association) members all across the US and if you were traveling through an area you could contact the member in the area you where in and get a local to take you on their favorite roads to ride. As a side note, if any of you are ever traveling to the Raleigh NC or Richmond VA area feel free to PM me and I'll share some of my honey holes ( I have two that cover about 200 acres apiece, so its not like I will ever cover all of them)

Upvote 0

azdirtdigger

Feb 23, 2012
AZ Native. Now travel fulltime across this beautif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from a fellow retired traveller

Metal detecting is the perfect hobby for a traveler with a little time on their hands. We travel full time in a Motorhome and I detect all the time.

I try to use MD forums to try to meet locals to hunt with. I also contact local MD clubs if one is nearby. I have had very mixed results. I have had some very enjoyable hunts with people I have met on the forums. I have also spent extended time in very populated areas without being able to generate any interest in putting a hunt together with a traveler. I am always looking for people detecting, and will always stop and visit with them if I can.

Keep posting your locations, maybe our paths will cross.

Happy hunting!

OP
OP
lookingharder

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
azdirtdigger, Thanks for the reply. Do you look for parks? Knock on doors of old houses? Just curious on where to start if I traveled with her. She's going to Dallas in a month for a week.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
as I only drive on vacations I always take mine with me
the first Tnetter I met was smokeycat, found some once-in-a-life-time finds for me
I would meet anyone since I am not too fearful
if you come to indy after I semi-retire in june I would meet you if I had no preplans

azdirtdigger

Feb 23, 2012
AZ Native. Now travel fulltime across this beautif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spend time online researching the areas before I get there. Google, google earth, look for old maps - lots of resources out there. I like old coins, so research and detect accordingly. Look for old parks, dirt/grass adjacent to old concrete, old neighborhood (be safe first). I will talk and visit with locals. Always on the lookout for the next place to hunt.

Traveling offers unique challenges and opportunities. Good luck!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take mine with me especially if I travel to touristy beach locations. Silver is cool but gold is best.

Cheers

‘Scoop

7CE4072F-9099-41CE-BEFF-6C0C1F6342ED.jpeg

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have ridden my Harley through all 48 states. On one trip across country, I packed my AT PRO and tried to investigate as many Lost Item Reports as possible for the Lost My Stuff Group - Home.
If you are goung to go to places like NYC, then you will need to plan ahead. The New York City Parks and Recreation Department will issue a metal detecting permit to anyone, but you must apply.
If you fly to your destination, I would recommend shipping your metal detector ahead, rather than having NSA go through your stuff.
Anything you need, like permit information, just let me know.
Good luck and Happy Hunting

OP
OP
lookingharder

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks against the wind. I don't think there's enough gold in Fort Knox to get me to NYC. My home town with 4 stop lights and has WAY too many people for me. I have flown several time with my ATGold in my carry on. Haven't had any problems yet. I may go with her to some of the small rural areas she goes to. Not a big city guy.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread