Medal thingy?!

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Hello!

I dug this today in the town of Independence, Oregon. Some sort of medal or something? There's no writing on the front side ~ There's an Eagle at the top and a wreath ~ but there was something in the middle area, but it's missing. The back side reads, "WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO. / NEWARK, N.J.". And there's 2 short chain links on top ~ I wonder what this was hanging from?!

PLEASE tell me what this thing is!

I pictured it next to a 1944 Merc dime (that I dug today also) for comparison purposes.

Attachments

• June29-2012cleanMEDALdime.jpg
    June29-2012cleanMEDALdime.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 128
  • June29-2012medalBACK.jpg
    June29-2012medalBACK.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 131

thtr12

May 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Advertisement firm

some background info on the company found here

Whitehead & Hoag - Newark, NJ - 1890-mid 20th century

Whitehead & Hoag was first organized under New Jersey laws in 1892 with a capital of $500,000. Its progress has been so rapid that in 1899 the capital stock was increased to a million dollars, and the plant at Washington and Warren Streets, originally a three-story building 50 by 80 feet in floor dimensions, has been increased by the addition of a 50 by 100 feet four-story structure and another of like area and five stories in height. The aggregate of floor space is nearly one hundred thousand square feet, and there are several hundred persons employed by the company in the manufacture and sale of buttons, badges, banners, flags and an almost infinite variety of taking advertising novelties in celluloid, metal, ribbons, silk and woven fabrics. The plant, at the time of its creation, was one of the largest of its kin in the world, and the goods it produces were sold all over the civilized globe. The main business office was inNewark, NJ and at the works, but branch offices were maintained in no less than 30 leading cities, the one in London, England, being under the personal management of Mr. A. J. Keil, the secretary of the company. The other officers and directors were Newark's highly esteemed citizens.

Mr. Benjamin S. Whitehead: the president and is a native of Newark and a graduate of her public schools..

Mr. Chester R. Hoag, the vice-president, was born in Pennsylvania, but was a citizen of Newark for many years.

Mr. William A. Jones, the treasurer and counsel of the company, was a native of New York State. He was the active treasurer and legal adviser of the company.

Whitehead & Hoag LLC was one of the largest advertisement firms in the world at the turn of the century. They had huge contracts with companies like: Boeing, US Governtment, Guiness, Bud, Bass Ale, Starret, Bartels, Worlds Fair, and hundres more. They were also responsible for the patent of "Celluloid" A high quality compound used for printing that made the prints more durable and vibrant in color.

----------------

I am guessing the missing piece was celluoid

It looks to be of a design simmilar to this watch fob on feepay

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
oddcoins

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
VERY COOL! Thanks for your input!

But I just can't seam to find an exact match to the eagle and wreath design. Too bad the celluloid middle part is gone.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread