Medallion from Spanish American War Cigarette Lighter, Eagle "I," Barber 25c & More!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Medallion from Spanish American War Cigarette Lighter, Eagle "I," Barber 25c & More!

Hello All,

Did a 2.5 day digging marathon with DG and Shang. Here's a short video:

First day Shang tried out his Deus and he stood and watched me dig a nice spur :)

184_1012.JPG

Then DiggerGirl got a strange medallion which I am almost positive is a side medallion from a Spanish American War Cigarette Lighter:

HPIM5183.JPG Screenshot 2015-04-21 21.38.26.png Screenshot 2015-04-21 21.38.49.png

Lots of targets dug, but nothing really good except those two targets to speak of--although I did get a William IV keyhole cover from a smokehouse lock. That dates this lock cover to between 1830 and 1837.

HPIM5171.JPG

Also picked up a VR keyhole cover (Victoria Regina) and was hoping for a GR keyhole cover (Georgius Rex) for the trifecta. :D

HPIM5172.JPG

Second and third days were DG and I only. She dug her first Eagle cuff button on Day 2, and it's an "I."

HPIM5180.JPG

Not much else dug that day. The last day we walked into a spot that had definite colonial signs but lots of can slaw holding things up and slowing us down. I picked up a good many clay pipe stems and eyeballed a perfect English Gun Flint laying right on top of the ground.

184_1017.JPG HPIM5176.JPG

I got a nice 83 reading and was expecting another whole aluminum can but instead dug a 1906-O Barber Quarter.

HPIM5177.JPG HPIM5178.JPG

Man, once I opened the flood gate on Barber Quarters they're everywhere. Took 22 years to dig one and now I have 3 in a little over a year. Go figure. :D She dug a lot of finds that day too, including a Buffalo nickel. I got a V nickel.

HPIM5179.JPG HPIM5173.JPG

I dig dig a nice trigger guard with a flower design that I was very pleased with.

HPIM5174.JPG

Also dug a strange piece of cast brass that looks like an oak leaf. Not sure what this is, but it could be something--and will definitely get saved!

HPIM5175.JPG

All our finds.

HPIM5170.JPG HPIM5184.JPG finds fun field.JPG

finds site.JPG DG finds.JPG

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 18

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y'all Def, "putin in the work", & your great at I'ding Stuff= Hand crank from a Phone .....
'Trigger Guard' & the Lighter Medallion would have stumped me for years.
I love the Gun Flint Also , A very cool find. & The Barber Quarter ....3 now ? Hope to find my first SOON! 'as I stated to you before'.
You guy's & Digger Girl are Hard Core.... esp when the Heat Comes. Suppose it keeps you in shape .
Thanks for the Pic's Tho I envy You.
Davers

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, not sure what I like the most there. Eagle buttons really get me excited, but the spur is a killer find too. Great hunt and congrats

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
White's Dfx 300, Fisher CZ20, Garrett ATX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BB, Great recoveries as usual! Hope you guys didn't suffer too many ant bites..... My favorite was DG's lighter medallion - very interesting and cleaned up exceptionally well.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a great time with loads of finds! That lighter side plate is too cool, congrats to DG! I really like the gun flint too. It don't happen often that you spot them. :icon_thumleft:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice digs Buck..That medallion is killer..

Congrats on Diggergirl making the cover of W&Eastern Treasure!

~Blaze~

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! I remember when I found my first gun flint, and I still have it. I was arrowhead hunting in a tobacco field in Northern Kentucky when I saw a amber colored squared piece of something. Very translucent. Had it for years until I realized what it was. Almost dismissed it as being anything and was gonna throw it in the wife's flower garden.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite find might be that gun flint. For some reason those are hard to come by in spite of all the musketballs and gun parts that seem to pop up all the time. Nice hunt guys!

gun flint was certainly my best find of the marathon. Seems like I only find 1-2 good flints per year down here but elsewhere I seldom ever found one. To put it in perspective I think I have 7-8 gun flints in 23 years

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BB, I guess it is as always to each their own, (And confess didn't watch the vid (that's why I appreciate the stills))
But I love that lighter...never seen anything like it, AND it is is in STUNNING condition...I love that find.

I have on old lighter with the same basic type of working mecanisim (sp) But that one is something special, would love to have that in my display. GREAT FIND IMO.

Good Luck Out There.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great assortment of finds Buck. Those barber quarters are jumping out of the ground for you now lol

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a really good spot to hunt. Congrats and good luck there again!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's something you do not find everyday damn nice lighter for sure !!!!vanzutphen

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still amazed at what you 3 dig there from all periods of history. I like the spur and Molly's Eagle "I". BTW-Doug says his truck heater works great now-LOL. WTG, Q.

Thanks so much for your reply, Q. I am so happy that we're digging the military buttons this year. Only one or two turned up last year. But I didn't realize this until I checked, we've only been out about 10 times this year. So I'm very happy with the totals considering that fact. Normally I'd have done 18-20 hunts by now.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y'all Def, "putin in the work", & your great at I'ding Stuff= Hand crank from a Phone .....
'Trigger Guard' & the Lighter Medallion would have stumped me for years.
I love the Gun Flint Also , A very cool find. & The Barber Quarter ....3 now ? Hope to find my first SOON! 'as I stated to you before'.
You guy's & Digger Girl are Hard Core.... esp when the Heat Comes. Suppose it keeps you in shape .
Thanks for the Pic's Tho I envy You.
Davers

Heya Davers, great to hear from you! Yeah, we're not that in shape--but we do sweat a lot! :D Gotta try and ID when I can, but there are lots of boxes of random junk around here too LOL. You'll get that Barber. Once the gate opens, the flood will begin!

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB, Great recoveries as usual! Hope you guys didn't suffer too many ant bites..... My favorite was DG's lighter medallion - very interesting and cleaned up exceptionally well.

They're not really troublesome unless there's a target in an anthill. Although Shang had 'em all over his leg once a couple hunts ago. He kept saying he couldn't figure out how they got there. I told him they came from the ground LOL.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Buck..That medallion is killer..

Congrats on Diggergirl making the cover of W&Eastern Treasure!

~Blaze~

She looks pretty good on there. :) Thx for the reply, Blaze! I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing what you find, my friend.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! I remember when I found my first gun flint, and I still have it. I was arrowhead hunting in a tobacco field in Northern Kentucky when I saw a amber colored squared piece of something. Very translucent. Had it for years until I realized what it was. Almost dismissed it as being anything and was gonna throw it in the wife's flower garden.

It's really hard to ID the things we dig. I'd bet some fantastic finds have been thrown away over the years by diggers.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BB, I guess it is as always to each their own, (And confess didn't watch the vid (that's why I appreciate the stills))
But I love that lighter...never seen anything like it, AND it is is in STUNNING condition...I love that find.

I have on old lighter with the same basic type of working mecanisim (sp) But that one is something special, would love to have that in my display. GREAT FIND IMO.

Good Luck Out There.

The complete lighter is a non-dug example showing the same medallion and the dug one.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great assortment of finds Buck. Those barber quarters are jumping out of the ground for you now lol

'bout damned time. :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread