jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the Philadelphia Record, Sunday Morning, October 14, 1923 : BLOODHOUNDS HIT WARM TRAIL OF TRAIN ROBBERS -Officers Hope to Capture Bandits Who Killed Four Persons . Medford, Or. Oct. 13 - According to Reports by County Officials today, Bloodehounds Struck a Warm Trail in the "SISKIYOUS" today which is leading in the direction of "COOS BAY in pursuit of the bandits that held up SOUTHERN PACIFIC TRAIN NO 13 on thursday and killed 4 persons.

petrie

Mar 27, 2007
if you have any more info on this let me know i am looking into it to!!! thanks

petrie

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT17000/Explorer XS/Exp SE Pro
Hey Jeff,

Couple questions popped into my bony head, please; Was this from a Pennsylvania paper? Were there subsequent issues that covered the robbery?

You wrote 'Syskiyous toward Coos Bay'. Was it plain that the RR line was the one that, pretty much, parallels I-5 (mts. in there are the Cascades, Syskiyous a bit farther south). S.P. tracks are West of the mountains and so is Coos Bay.

I would think 'train robbers' in 1923 would have transportation, Model T or horses. Did the article mention why 'bloodhounds' were imployed? It would be a long hike on foot to Coos Bay. I don't think dogs would be part of a car or horse chase.

Do you know of any dollar value given to the robbery? Also any recovery( later issues of paper)? ........I realize there is a newspaper in Medford that is probably old enough to have covered the story,..........but I'm 150 or so miles from them and I thought you may be able to save me some gas.

Thanks.

Bud

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
On October 11, 1923, at the summit of the Siskiyou Mountains of Oregon, Southern Pacific Train No. 13 slowed to a stop at Siskiyou Station. This was required by Company rule to test the air breaks before descending the mountain. The stop was also used to uncouple the helper engine that had been used to help the train up the steep grade and tight switchbacks. The train had only accelerated to five or six miles an hour by the time it reached Tunnel No. 13, about a hundred yards away. It was slow enough to allow three bandits to jump on board the mail car, about 12:40 in the afternoon.

The train was known was the "Gold Special," as it frequently took gold shipments up and down the West Coast. The bandits thought this train would be carrying $40,000 in its mail car, a significant enough amount to take a chance. Hugh held up the engineer and the fireman with a shotgun and ordered them to halt the train. They immediately obeyed and stopped the train, with the engine just emerging from the mouth of the tunnel. It was somewhat of a challenge since the grade of the tunnel was downhill and the train may have been moving as fast as 20 miles per hour when the robbers ordered it stopped.
Ray saw the mail clerk look out the window of the mail car, and fired at him but he missed. Hugh and Roy walked the engineer and fireman up to the front of the tunnel so they would not be injured when they blew up the mail car. Ray affixed the dynamite to the mail car. After the explosion Hugh kept a gun on the two railroad men while Roy and Ray tried to uncouple the mail car from the train.

At that time a man with a red light came toward them. It was the brakeman, Coyle O. Johnson. Hugh ordered Johnson to uncouple the mail car from the engine. But he couldn't do it because of the damage from the explosion. They ordered Johnson to go tell the engineer to pull the mail car away from the rest of the train with the engine. As Johnson turned to comply, though, Ray shot and killed him. Roy told the engineer what he wanted, but the engineer could not budge the train. They couldn't see anything in the car through the steam and smoke so

they gave up their attempts to get into it. Before they left, Roy shot the fireman, Marvin L. Seng, and Hugh shot the engineer, Sidney L. Bates. Then they fled to their hideout to or three miles northwest of the south entrance of the tunnel, without having stolen one dime.
Conductor Merritt immediately phoned the incident into the Southern Pacific agents at Ashland, Oregon. Southern Pacific phoned Chief Special Agent Dan O'Connell at San Francisco. Soon posses and National Guard troops were searching the mountains to find the culprits. Some railroad men formed their own posses to revenge their fallen comrades. But it was too late, the three men had already escaped.

Meanwhile, men at the Siskiyou station immediately refired the helper engine and backed it up to the stalled train. It hauled the train back into fresh air. At the same time, men hooked up the original engine to the mail car and hauled it down the West side of the mountain to a bypass track at White Point. The mail car was taken to the Southern Pacific Yard at Ashland where authorities found the remains of the postal clerk, Elvin E. Dougherty.

The bandits made their identification easy. As they fled the scene, Roy dropped his Colt on the railroad tracks as he ran away. Though the Colt had had its serial number scratched off there was another secret number on the gun that was easily traceable to the DeAutremont brothers. Another brother dropped a pair of tar stained overalls and a box of black paper to try to throw bloodhounds off the track. Amazingly he left a crumpled receipt for a piece of registered mail in the pocket of the overalls. That receipt made it easy to trace the DeAutremont brothers. Hugh was 19 years old at the time, and the twins, Ray and Roy, were 23 years old.

Rewards were offered and their pictures posted everywhere. They remained at large for almost four years. Over two and a half million wanted posters were circulated in the U.S. and overseas. They were printed in English, Spanish, French, Dutch, German, and Portuguese. Pictures of the dynamited car and the murdered men were printed in papers across the country. Hugh was finally picked up in Manila in the Philippine Islands in February 1927. He had enlisted in the U.S. Army under an assumed name. His picture was recognized on a poster hung in the post office near San Francisco Bay by Thomas Reynolds who knew him slightly. Roy and Ray were captured in Stuebenville, Ohio. Albert Collingsworth recognized the twins from a newspaper story about them. He told Emma L. Maynard what he thought and she passed its on to the law. The twins were using an assumed name of Goodwin. Ray had married and adopted the name while on the run. When arrested he left a wife and small child behind.

When Hugh was tried in Jacksonville, Oregon, he entered a plea of not guilty. Before the trial was over a juror died, thus a mistrial was called. Before the second trial was over the twins were arrested and brought to Jacksonville for trial. The Twins confessed to their crimes. All three brothers received life sentences at the Oregon State Penitentiary in Salem.
Sometime in the 1950s, Hugh was paroled when they discovered he had terminal cancer. He was released, but died a few weeks later. After 22 years Roy was transferred to the State Hospital because of mental breakdown where he lived until the end of his life. Ray was paroled in 1961 and took a job as a custodian at the University of Oregon and later died in a rest home
www.suite101.com/article.cfm/old_west/34777 - 27k

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Gypsyheart,

That's what I'm talking about!!! Thanks. You saved me gas.

Bud

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BudP said:
Hey Jeff,

Couple questions popped into my bony head, please; Was this from a Pennsylvania paper? Were there subsequent issues that covered the robbery?

You wrote 'Syskiyous toward Coos Bay'. Was it plain that the RR line was the one that, pretty much, parallels I-5 (mts. in there are the Cascades, Syskiyous a bit farther south). S.P. tracks are West of the mountains and so is Coos Bay.

I would think 'train robbers' in 1923 would have transportation, Model T or horses. Did the article mention why 'bloodhounds' were imployed? It would be a long hike on foot to Coos Bay. I don't think dogs would be part of a car or horse chase.

Do you know of any dollar value given to the robbery? Also any recovery( later issues of paper)? ........I realize there is a newspaper in Medford that is probably old enough to have covered the story,..........but I'm 150 or so miles from them and I thought you may be able to save me some gas.

Thanks.

Bud

Yes Philadelphia PA

From the Philadelphia Record, Sunday Morning, October 14, 1923

However it looks like Gypsy's post
takes care of this one.
only lead here may be a few pieces of train :P

or maby something intresting if you could narrow
down the robbers homes.

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Superb point about 'robbers homes'. I followed one tale from a documented robbery, to a lynching. to the robber's prior life of crime(every summer, on a so-called hunting trip) and then to the robber's home, property and a mining claim that was used for a hide-out. All this, four hundred miles South of the known robbery.

I started my hunt from a 'coffee table' Historical that was at my in-laws house. The story did not quite mesh so I spent a bunch of time in newspaper dead files to verify the story. I found that the book written by the top 'County Historian' told about ten percent of the real tale. On the spot reporting, in three different papers, hundreds of miles apart was superb. This, in the early 1900's. The robbery and hunt was never in just one paper. The three papers combined reporting told the whole story from robbery to capture and lynching by town people even though one of the robbers tried to make a deal. Half the loot was never found......at that time.

So spending time looking for 'home-turf' can be highly equitable if there's a possibility of the robber having a history that may be tracked. Only a complete fool, who did this for a living, would not have a hide-out or cache for bad times.

Just my take. Thanks again Jeff of PA and Gypsy.

Bud

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread