Meet other MN Hunters

luckymin

Greenie
Mar 23, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75, Minelab 705 goldpack, Tiger Shark, CZ21
Hi,
I live in Meeker County, just started detecting last fall with a CoinStrike. I had a Minelab Advantage and played around with it for a while but could never figure out how to make it discriminate iron. (It's for sale, by the way, lol!) My CoinStrike is a good discriminator and I've got maybe 120 hours on it and am feeling fairly comfortable with it. Nothing local actually, but I've taken two metal detecting holidays which were absolutely AWESOME. I'd love to connect with others who might be hunting around the area, either land or water (I'm looking for a suitable machine for water right now). I read through all the MN postings, lots of great enthusiasts out here! The TC club is just not handy for me, I'd like to stay mainly local south-central, I've got lots of work commitments and can't get away for long usually. Drop me a note @ [email protected] if anyone wants detecting company some day (if the ground ever thaws!).
Mindy

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Wow, another first post...thanks for introducing yourself.
With and email address like that I'm pretty sure I can tell what part of the state you are in.

redfox33

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2007
Been reading for a while, thought i would just say hi and perhaps gain a new friend to share thoughts with. My name is John and i belong to the Zumbro Valley Metal Detectors Club that meets sencond wed every month. HI

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi John!
Welcome to the Forum. I too, am a member of the ZVTH club. The season will soon be upon us. I know we are all getting detecting fever. It's been a long winter.
In case you are interested in statistics, I've been trending my first day out and last day out for over 30 years. The average 1st day out for this region is March 17, so we're nearly 2 weeks overdue.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oldhippiecoinhntr said:
Hello all! I am 'oldhippiecoinhntr' , live near Wilton Minn in Northern Mn. I just started metal detecting June of this year. A very close friend of mine, named Clarence Bertram got me started. I actually had a interest in detecting for more that 10 years. I read about it a lot, and had magazines, and books, but never bought a machine. Went with Clarence early June, and got real seriuos and bought a Garretts GTX 1000 and have been going seriously ever since. Just wish I ad got started years ago. How many times have you all said or heard this. When my wife and I got married 35 years ago, we both visited hundreds of old homesteads, just looking for old bottles and antiques. But didnt think of the detecting then. But havent forgotten those old sites, and while many are gone (progress) many are still there, some long forgotten except by me, so they are prime areas for me.

Two subjects I want to cover more. First, I regrett to inform you all of sad news. My friend Clarence Bertram, who has posted here, and some of you knew, was trajicly killed in a motorcycle accident on Sept 1 2007.We had been out together hunting a new site the eve before. I shall miss him greatly, as will all his friends.

Second, getting back to history. When I was in 5th and 6th grade, I lived in a little town of Iona. I worked for a lady there in her garden. One day digging in the garden, I found a 1890's half dollar, and though the exact details are somewhat lost to time, I do remember that if had stars around the edge, and a lady I may describe as a draped bust. I found a couple of more coins there, but dont remember what they were. I am convinced there were more there. But as a young kid, diggind for more did not interest me. Lady I worked for took and kept the old coins. I would love to pass the location to someone in the area, as they could look. I am not going to get there again. Cottenjim..........you reading this? If you are near there, contact me. I will give you info.

Hi, I see you are from northern Mn. Years ago I went to my friends hunting cabin in Carp, Mn and detected where the old school stood. I found my first and only silver dollar, 1901, there. I have been detecting since the 1970's too. I now live in NC. My dad was from Paynesville and I graduated from Kimball High in 1981. You never know where or when you are going to find the big find. I found mine in Carp! Bryan

Karinus

Jan 5, 2008
Morrison Co. MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT
Nice to 'meet' everyone. I live between Brainerd and Littlefalls and am still learning on my new Sov GT. The depth of this thing is unreal, anyway digging holes in the earth is a great way of gettin in shape. I own part of a farm which of course, is littered with every type of object you could imagine, plus I have access to several other pretty good sites. If anyone is interested in dirt fishing let me know, Im always ready to go.

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm back north after wintering in AZ for 4 months. Didn't get as much MDing done as I expected as I was doing handyman work at the retirement village I live in down there. But I did get about 150 coins, 1 pendant, 1 silver ring, two dog tags, a costumer designer watch and some other odds and ends, that I wouldn't have gotten if I was digging in the frozen tundra up here. No silver coins, just one wheat penny from 1950. Just got back from MD trip to Ohio at the Tuscazoar Camp near Dover. There were about 70 of us there on about 400+ acres. It was only for people that swing DFX's from Whites. I got 60+ coins, but again just a single wheatie (1947). There were about 100 silver coins harvested among the 70 people, including a Morgan Silver Dollar(1879), several walking liberty halves, franklin halves, seated and barber quarters, mercury dimes, etc etc. Also 7 large cents with 3 of the dates 1817, 1830 and 1831. At least 2 half dimes and more. Goose from Sartell, MN and SteveMN from Cambridge represented Minn there and SteveMN got 4 silver coins. If you click on this link and scroll down thru the file, you will see some of the silver and relics that were found there.
http://www.dfxonly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5318

Mindy, I have picked up a few coins in Litchfield and Cosmos (Meeker County).
While in Tucson, I was MD'ing at a local park when a man spotted my Minnesota plates and saw I was swinging a detector. He did not own a detector, but said he was from Fargo originally and gave me a tip someone may be able to follow up on. He mentioned a park in Fargo that had a swimming hole on it during the 50's. He told me the name of the park, but I had forgotten by the time I got home, but I knew I would remember it, if I saw the name. I checked all the present parks in Fargo and none of them rang a bell. He said it was near the river and the old swimming hole had been covered over or abandoned and I got the impression it might be in a remote area of a present day park. So if anyone wants to research that, go ahead.
Butch aka DFXDude / Renville, MN

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dfxdude said:
Hello, I'm back north after wintering in AZ for 4 months. Didn't get as much MDing done as I expected as I was doing handyman work at the retirement village I live in down there. But I did get about 150 coins, 1 pendant, 1 silver ring, two dog tags, a costumer designer watch and some other odds and ends, that I wouldn't have gotten if I was digging in the frozen tundra up here. No silver coins, just one wheat penny from 1950. Just got back from MD trip to Ohio at the Tuscazoar Camp near Dover. There were about 70 of us there on about 400+ acres. It was only for people that swing DFX's from Whites. I got 60+ coins, but again just a single wheatie (1947). There were about 100 silver coins harvested among the 70 people, including a Morgan Silver Dollar(1879), several walking liberty halves, franklin halves, seated and barber quarters, mercury dimes, etc etc. Also 7 large cents with 3 of the dates 1817, 1830 and 1831. At least 2 half dimes and more. Goose from Sartell, MN and SteveMN from Cambridge represented Minn there and SteveMN got 4 silver coins. If you click on this link and scroll down thru the file, you will see some of the silver and relics that were found there.
http://www.dfxonly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5318

Mindy, I have picked up a few coins in Litchfield and Cosmos (Meeker County).
While in Tucson, I was MD'ing at a local park when a man spotted my Minnesota plates and saw I was swinging a detector. He did not own a detector, but said he was from Fargo originally and gave me a tip someone may be able to follow up on. He mentioned a park in Fargo that had a swimming hole on it during the 50's. He told me the name of the park, but I had forgotten by the time I got home, but I knew I would remember it, if I saw the name. I checked all the present parks in Fargo and none of them rang a bell. He said it was near the river and the old swimming hole had been covered over or abandoned and I got the impression it might be in a remote area of a present day park. So if anyone wants to research that, go ahead.
Butch aka DFXDude / Renville, MN

Hello, I lived outside of Watkins in Meeker County back in the early 80's. I found some nice indian heads in town. I went to school in Kimball where I graduated, did some detecting there too. And my Dad and Grandparents were from Paynesville, I did some good detecting there too. Bryan

Itgobang

Oct 5, 2008
COLD MINNESOTA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, MINELAB (EUREKA GOLD)
Hello....

I am Ben, live in Rochester. Did a lot of hunting years back.. Just got back into it last year. I did a lot of underwater hunting when I lived in Key West, Fla. I do go all over panning for gold and try to find the BIG ONE with my Minelab.. (no luck yet) Hope to meet some of you soon!

Ben

luckymin

Greenie
Mar 23, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75, Minelab 705 goldpack, Tiger Shark, CZ21
Hello all,
I'm still in Meeker County, but have upgraded my coinstrike to an F75 with great results. I've found an 1853 large cent, a couple liberty nickles, an indian head and a bunch of wheaties. Also, a civil-war era button and several civil war era lead slugs. In the water, I've found an opal ring, a large silver band, and a gold ring, plus a bunch of clad coins.
Most recently I've been on my third treasure hunt in England, and the F75 came through beautifully: many great buttons, 4 hammered silvers (including a Henry VII large groat and a Lizzy 1 penny in great condition). Best find was a 50BC Gallo Belgic Celtic gold full stater coin.
I'm going to be organizing a "ladies" hunt there myself in 2010, have room for a couple more. We've got a beautifully restored house to use, and we have our own rental vehicle but have access to many fields that are contracted with the man who runs the detecting show in this area. It's for serious, hard core hunters only. And, we absolutely follow the English treasure hunting act, which means all your finds are photographed, catalogued, and only released when it's decided they're not treasure that the museum wants to keep (by the way, they pay you for what they want to keep). I can give more detailed information to anyone who wants it. Happy Hunting!

DirtFlipper

Greenie
Oct 7, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro, White's MXT
Just thought I'd mention I search here in MN too, but usually hang out on the White's forum within t-net. I'm SW of the Cities.

HH,
DirtFlipper

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
I joined this site over 2 yrs ago...been to other forums, and now I'm back. I live near St Cloud and have been detecting around here (+New Zealand, Ireland, and Israel and maybe 8 or 9 other states) for 18 yrs. I started out on a White's Coin Classic II (1 yr), went to a White's Eagle SL II (10 yrs), and now I have the DFX (7 yrs). For 6 yrs now, I've gone down to New Mexico to detect ghost towns for a few weeks each spring.

My main detecting areas are in old neighborhoods to be rejuvinated (new water mains, sanitary, curbs/streets, etc) and torn down old buildings. I normally go to city hall in April of the town I hunt in and ask the city engineering dept. where the city's construction will take place during the coming summer. They tell me AND give me prints of the area of construction. I've done well. Also, in the 18 yrs, I've only met 5 other detectorers (detectorists are women) in the area....I sort of have the whole area to myself.

I might be going to India (been trading coins with this guy from another forum) in late February or early March for a week or so (10 days-?).
Then in April, there is the 4th annual hunt in Michigan for DFX users on a 5000 acre old Boy Scout camp (www.dfxonly.com). I'll have to fit my New Mexico trip in there somewhere. And of course, come the 2nd week of January, it's to Laughlin, Nevada for 3 days with 2 other guys from our coin club. I don't gamble (I'm not mathematically challenged) so I'm debating if I should bring my detector or just mosey around the town. Sounds like an active schedule? I'll handle it.

wetlawnmulch

Greenie
Dec 24, 2008
Hello I am new to the forum & new to MD. I am in St.Cloud. I purchased a Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 last July, and got out a few times last summer. I would really like to get out more, but I feel I am lacking in my searching skills. I know someone must do Warner beach because it was pretty well swept. Goose do you know the laws in St.Cloud about doing parks and schools. Does anyone else know the rules about State Parks?

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Wet L M, I've been detecting in St Cloud for 18 yrs now and have seen only about 5 other detectorers (detectorists are female) in that time. I've never been to Werner park and you say it's really been hit hard? Maybe not hard enough! About 5 yrs ago on one of my New Mexico ghost town hunts, I asked permission to detect a semi torn down county court house....a 1/4 block area. The lady said, "Go ahead... there have been hundreds of people detecting there in the last 20 or so yrs." I found a ghost town 'Saloon' token (1893) in which I sold at the top U S token auction held in California....got a LOT of money for it. So, 'hunted out' means NOTHING to me.

Drop me a line and I'll show you a few good places to go either IN St Cloud or within 12 miles of St Cloud. I now have a St Cloud street reconstruction job (1900 era) lined up for the springtime. Another thing, try to do a little research of the area. I've done plenty and have found 3 towns which were adjacent to St Cloud that no longer exist. How about Watab (Benton Co.)? In 1865 it was the largest city around, even though Sauk Rapids (founded in 1849) and St Cloud (founded in 1856) exist now and Watab doesn't exist now... just a few new houses now.

This last summer, did you hit Lake George? The city lowered the lake (4 to 5 feet) to improve the surrounding area with walks, boat docks, etc? I hit it around 5 times....all around the lake. Yes, I found coins.....nothing but black colored coins -- no silver. Well, hang in there, I wish you luck in your ventures. Goose

wetlawnmulch

Greenie
Dec 24, 2008
Thanks for the advice Goose, I have been doing some research on the area, and am looking at some promising leads into the original Red River Trail throught the area. I have gotten permission from land owners and am just waiting form spring. Granted it's probably nieve to think that some of the sites I'm researching have never been hit, but your comments give me hope that if I take my time it won't be a complete waste. I do have a question on equipment, and would like your opinion since you seem quite knowledgable. In your reply above you make a comment about a site getting hit alot and there still be the possiblity of finding something passed over. Is this a result of poor technique or poor equipment? I guess I am wondering if my Bounty Hunter Tracker is going to miss things even if I am diligent in learning the craft? I would like to upgrade at some point but fiscally I don't see it happening for a year or two.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
W L, your B H Tracker is a good machine. The main thing people do when detecting is to hurry along their way and miss items. I'm sometimes as guilty as others at times, but I'm 'controling' myself somewhat. About 3 yrs ago I detected 7th Av N (St Cloud) for almost the whole summer. The street was torn up from 3th St N to 12th St N. I covered the whole length of a mile (+/-) 3 times....both sides. This would equal to 6 miles od detecting. Well, fall was coming and I had no other place to go so I went back to a block that really produced. Nothing whatsoever for 1/2 block, then I hit a 1896 Barber half, mintage only 960K. Now how did I miss that? Hurrying? Not covering all of the area? It could be many reasons, but I had previously missed it. That confirms the saying, "No area is EVER hunted out. (Almost midnight....more later.)

wetlawnmulch

Greenie
Dec 24, 2008
I am gathering that perseverance, and patience are a skill set I have not been practicing!! I am going to apologize in advance if my questions get annoying, but it nice to have somebody who is familiar with the area and knows what they are doing. By any chance did you search the ING lot while they were building the parking ramp? Have you ever done old homesteads in the area, and with any success?

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
The ING lot was downtown and fenced as the ground was broken. I did not detect the area. Now the new police station? I hit that area for yrs BEFORE the ground was broken. There was a 3 story yellow brick house (Mansion) on the NE corner (actually N) of 1st St N and 12th Av N. About 6 yrs ago a small strip mall was put in directly E (actually N) of that yellow brick home. I found 2 saloon tokens on the east lawn. I sold them....total $500. The saloon was called 'The Granite City Saloon' and was located on the NE (actually N) corner of 7th Av N and 2nd St N in 1896. The N corner of the 'new' courthouse sits there now. Now modern times. I detected the whole area where the new police station is being built.....along the downed bldgs along 11th Av N to behind them. I only found a few good coins there in 4 or 5 times I was there.

For old homesteds: Directly S of St Cloud city hall on 4th Av S...a brick home demolished for added parking for city hall = 2 I H pennies and 2 nice brass men's rings. Directly E of St Augustine Church (Wilson AV S) there was an old 2 story frame house. I kept my eye on it for 3 yrs....finally demolished for more St Aug's parking lot = 1 Merc, 2 Barber 10c, and a winner, a U S Oval Civil War belt plate (buckle). I happen to find it on the 131st anniversary of the beginning of the battle of Gettesyburg. In 2002, I covered all of 7th Av N when a 1 mile length of the avenue was being reconstructed....from downtown to the hospital. I found a bronze 220 B C Ptollemy III coin near the hospital. No doubt a kid was taking it to school for 'show & tell' and he lost it.

I'm not really that good at detecting compared to what is shown on T-Net, but I try.......and I like detecting whenever I can.
In an earlier post, you asked what were the 'laws' about detecting in/around St Cloud. I've detected playgrounds, H S campuses, parks, St Cloud St U's campus, and city parkways (between curb & sidewalk) without ANY problems or comments from others. Goose/Cy-Minn

wetlawnmulch

Greenie
Dec 24, 2008
So do you normally check a site before they start digging or after. I would imagine that you would want to wait until after they start digging?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions