mega-crevice tool,super sucker.not for the faint at heart updated pics

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been working on a project.---------------------Tired of wimpy little crevice suckers?Mickey mouse hand dredges?Other products that don't live up to thier claims?Something that WILL move material?PRODUCTION!Thats what I'm talkin bout! Me too.So why not a tool that you can build easily ,parts that are not hard to come by. Thats what I needed-so----------I built a 4"super sucker that has 2" check valves-with an 11/4" suction hose. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:I have just finished it and so far seems to work pretty good.And the best thing wasn't too expensive.All parts came from Home Depot. Not Too Bad. I still need to tweek it a little-Nothing major,Just figure what I want to glue-And what to leave accessable.Also want to figure out the best size for optimal performance. But I believe this will fit the bill.It should be able to dump in a bucket,sluice or what ever you want.And hopefully out perform any thing out there.The best part is you could make different size configurations to suit your needs . Now I know you are thinking :icon_scratch: o.k. -How much? ARE YOU READY FOR THIS? $000.00 thats right $000.00 I'm not here to mine the miners. I believe we should help each other.This information will be totally free for any T-NET member or guest!!!!Hows that? :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14: :wav: :wav: :wav:As soon as I have time ,I will put up pics .And show it before assembly,as well as after.The only thing I ask is ,Don't charge for this>>.......if you have a good tool or piece of equipment that you can build at home .Please show it -put up pics or plans .Prospectors helping Prospectors thats what this site is all about.Also if you see somthing that will make it better ,feel free to speak up ,or change.Or any other ideas by all means post it. pics in the next day or two depending on work. strick

Upvote 0
OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: mega-crevice tool,super sucker.not for the faint at heart

sorry folks ,having puter problems ,can't get pix loaded. be patient.

yttrabbit

Dec 10, 2009
Oakdale, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug, FisherGold Bug 2, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Garrett Pro Pin Pointer,

Here is one I was thinking about building this last summer...just never got the time.

OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry about the delay my puter was possessed.... here is the prototype.

Attachments

• mega sucker 1.jpg
    mega sucker 1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 2,024
  • mega sucker 2.jpg
    mega sucker 2.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 2,422
OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i also found that home depot has test plugs for pvc,i believe they are ridgid name brand (red).they are cheap a 4"was about $5 -but the best thing is they are adjustable.they have 2 red plastic disks that have a bevel,with a WIDE rubber seal,it has a 3/8 bolt thru it and a wing nut on top.just tighten the wing nut to expand the seal.as tight or loose as you want.it is the ultimate plunger for a sucker tube .all you have to do is grind the larger red disk where it will slide inside the pipe-then adjust wing nut.then i bought 2 3/8 rod couplings-for a dollar or so ,and a short piece of all thread (3/8).then a 3/8 eye bolt.to make the whole plunger assembly.a piece of 4"pipe for body,4" cap with 1/2"hole in the end (for the rod to go thru).the other end ---has a 4"by 2" bushing,short piece of 2" pipe,2"t (bull head),with 2-short pieces of 2"pipe-then 2 -2" pvc (flapper style) check valves---(now these were a little pricy at home depot $35.00 each-but bigger is better (less plug ups),then 2 short pieces of 2"by 11/2"bushings.then attach 11/4" with coupling.attach hose to each side(1")if preffered. maybe this will help. sorry about delay in post.

OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

almost forgot 2 furnco couplings to attach hose.

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Strick, is this a two man operation or are you going for a gravity suction once started>?

Looks like the basic principle of an old mud hog diaphram pump, and yep they pump gravel.

I really enjoy yours and t's post, you guys are on the ball.

Shine on.

OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is a handfull for 1-right now the 4" is a little long,i plan on cutting it down about 6".2 people this thing would over power most sluices.(maybe with 1).i tried it and put it on about a 45 degree angle with 1 foot on the check valve to steady it.and can operate by myself. i am thinking of trying a 6" suction tube (but much shorter)to get a large volume with a shorter stroke.but this will work well for what i need it for. non-motorized stealth crevicing/sniping.for floating down rivers-get, volume,for 1 or 2 and can dump in a sluice or bucket.also use the discharge for pressure washing and cleaning above water cracks.up stroke sucks /down stroke discharges. it can be very versatile,and portable. i am sure there are some better designs out there -but this is what (or close) to what i was looking for.and not expensive . any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worry that the bottom would snap off trying to operate that beast alone. I would build in a base with a double wye and run the check valves off of that. Make sure the bottom is removable because the heavies will settle in there. Also, reduce the end of your intake hose to help prevent plugups.
double wye.gif

OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have something similar ,that had a 3" by 2" cross.with a toilet flange ,i was worried about heavies and rocks collecting there and obstructing the 2nd check valve.i will have to put it through rigorous tests to see if a settling chamber is needed.i might have to use one.

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
You know whats best, this is just some thinking.

Check valves tend to be a problem area. Spring type work best for moving water and sand, larger pieces can get caught though. Flapper type work better for gravel, "if" , they are straight up & down. Only you know what will work best for your application. Maybe even make your own valves.

Auferret, mentioned breaking and settling. I would go with at least the same size as your "pump" with a cross, male adapter, female cap. Last two threaded of course, you know a lot of fines could end up there. Would be nice to pump, pump, pump, and just check the cap when it filled with all that pretty yellow. If you were worried about joints breaking, use sch80 for your nipples, of course nothing less than sch40. And yes, reducing the end of your suction hose to the id size of your valve would eliminate a lot of blockages. A heat gun could shape pretty much any type nozzle you wanted. I mentioned m/f instead of a no hub because I have had some deep cuts from those bands, they sharpen up real well after you drag them around a bit.

I thought you had a two man rig in mind, one on the pump, and one on the intake probing out those deeper holes. Two people could really move some material with that thing.

I had thought of making a smaller type, I couldn;t use a large one. Wish I could draw on here.
Heat end of 3/4 till plyable use needlenose plyers inside pipe to spread and keep from closing till it cools. 3/4x2 bushing, with the stop cut out inside, so pipe can slide through. 2 f/adapter, 2 male adapter. About a foot maybe of pipe, 2 tee, then plunger section. Two valves on on the tee, one self made on the 3/4, might have to use a 3/4x1 bushing to have something to put a flap on. Might work, might not, but been thinking it could come in handy.

I wonder if Strick's R&D would qualify for a stimulus. Nah less they know the better.

Have fun, show us some pretty yaller.

OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturaljwl, yes i wanted to be 1 or 2 man operation.i think i am going to add a 90 on the bottom of the sucker tube so the t will lay flat and a short piece of 4" between the 90 and the 2" t so it will stand up by itself also shorten the 4" sucker about 6"-10".i am looking for some different hose the ones on it now are just what i had laying around ,like i said i am still tweaking this beast-and final product will differ slightly.the basic design will be the same.i don't think i will add a nuggett trap,as i don't want hang ups.i wan't it self cleaning and as sraight on bottom as possible,so i can discharge in a sluice bucket mini-high banker,or what ever.i want this to be versitile,so i can use it for multiple applications.and a lot more heavy -duty than most hand pumps.the micky-mouse ones just don't hold up to the abuse i put them thru.i have tried the gold and sand pump and thought it was a good idea but needed some changes and was not heavy -duty enough for my needs.and for less money i could build a lot better pump.the whole purpose of this thread was to get other input and ideas,and to TRY TO GET OTHERS TO POST thier ideas and home-ade prospecting equipment .i saw in another post kiwi had a very cool backpackable dredge with a small engine that was very resourcefull and great for in accessable areas.this is what i needed to come up with so i can float in a canoe ,not worry about damaging it in case of roll-over ,be 1 or 2 man and still be able to move some material.not to mention be economical.i hope this has helped some and made others think a little.maybe something good will come out of this.i know how expensive equipment can be and over all this was not an expensive project.most material i had laying around and the worst was buying the 2" check valves at $35 each.there were cheaper ones but thats what i needed,large and union type connections so i can reuse for other projects as well. I found that a swimming pool noodle float is the perfect size for the pump seal . I changed it and it has a lot more suction now . I cut a piece about 2" thick , and can get a lot of them off of one noodle . I think I paid $2 for the noodle.

OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for kiwi .................... any questions hit me up .

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006
Hi there Strickmen. Thanks mate. I am still trying to digest it all. Thanks for guiding me to here. Hadnt noticed this thread before. Any questions & I yell out. Many thanks

Happy new year

JW :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions