KIMG0857.JPG
    478 KB · Views: 253
Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That one does not look to be of specimen value though it might be (?). If I were you I would crush and pan a small one as a third test and, as a personal confirmation, that it is gold (maybe you have done this already). That will probably be what you do with some or the rest of it any way. If some are specimens then worth is more than gold contained but you have to find a buyer.

Good luck

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I found these. To good to be true. I tested it positive. I then paid a professional company to lab test it. Real gold. What on earth is something like this worth. I have many of them. I need some mining equipment now!

Nice did they give you a figure like gpt or ppm of gold? Is there a lot of this rock type exposed in the area or are these pieces rare to find there? It doesn't have to all have visible gold but you need a lot of material and a lot of grams per ton to hard rock mine profitably if it's a small mining op. Interested to hear what type of rock it is and the grade, it is a pretty rock, good luck.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only test to be trusted is a fire assay. You had it fire assayed?

OP
OP
A

Ams721

Greenie
Apr 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth be told I'm very new to this. For equipment I have a blue bowl, sluice box and a standard pan. The source I have is plentiful with these rocks and a river filled and I mean absolutely filled with tiny specs of gold, almost to small to grab with tweezers. But for every pinch I was able to come across a ton of specs of which I also had tested. I think a mining operation here would be amazing. The land is virgin, my great great great grandparents had it and now I have access I just lack the knowledge. I have the funds but lack the equipment. I'm looking to pick the river sand up and dump it into a machine, have the machine do the work and grab the gold. Any suggestions?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest you call me right away so I can "help" you out! :laughing7::occasion14::skullflag:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Truth be told I'm very new to this. For equipment I have a blue bowl, sluice box and a standard pan. The source I have is plentiful with these rocks and a river filled and I mean absolutely filled with tiny specs of gold, almost to small to grab with tweezers. But for every pinch I was able to come across a ton of specs of which I also had tested. I think a mining operation here would be amazing. The land is virgin, my great great great grandparents had it and now I have access I just lack the knowledge. I have the funds but lack the equipment. I'm looking to pick the river sand up and dump it into a machine, have the machine do the work and grab the gold. Any suggestions?

Are you in a mining friendly state, do you have any friends with knowledge in geology or mining that could come look at your property. I would try to make some contacts locally and get some further opinions on how to assess the area for placer or hard rock gold. Before contacting people it's probably smart to make sure you have patented rights or the like and it is still private property etc and open to mining.

I'd get all the geo and claim maps of the area and historical reports of mining together and some of that work you can probably do yourself. I would also go to your local geology dept and see if you can get a good ID on the sample rock you posted as it looks highly altered and crystallized by heat (metamorphism) and finding this strike seems the best first step and the best place to test for placer or hard rock.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am truely amazed

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You need 2 things, both of which have been mentioned.

1) crush and pan - this will tell you how much free gold is in the hard rock sample.
2) fire assay - this will tell you how much gold is bound up in the rock and not so easily recovered.

The more volume you do these two tests with, the better idea you will have of the value of these rocks. If you like to play with chemicals, some people swear by using chemical means, though fire assay is time-tested and approved - lots of YouTube videos on both methods.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you paid a lab for a test they gave you a paper. Post that. We can help you read it. Until then, Crush it.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple solution. We get these "excited emails" all the time and
99% of the time it's not gold.
Find someone near you that KNOWS... what gold looks like in a pan.
Crush one...
Pan it....
Look...
Best free test there is.
If you want to send a small one I'll crush it and let you know if it's gold or not.
Doc

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say if your in a river , run your sluice . Maybe get yourself a bigger Bazooka Gold Trap , or A Gold hog Sluice or Raptor Flair 2.0 , and work the small Gold and see how it pans out . Then you can get yourself a small crusher unit to run , and pan the material . I would keep the crushed rock and Gold material seperate save the rock dust and the Gold from it , then you can weigh them and get an idea of how much Gold your getting per ton . You should not involve anyone , that you would'nt trust with your life . Get a good assay ,done . Don't go big until your sure you have a large amout of Gold ,that will be worth the expence of recovery , you can work with small equipment and make good money perday , just working by hand and maybe look into a small Gold Dredge if you can use them in your state , they will move a lot of material with the least expence in my opinion . I have a back ground in the gravel mining industry , it's easy to spend Millions on equipment and people , Insurance , worker comp , etc etc etc. Do yourself a favor and keep it small , or you will throw your money away , and may run out of Gold to pay for your expenceses . JMHO

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
So I found these. To good to be true. I tested it positive. I then paid a professional company to lab test it. Real gold. What on earth is something like this worth. I have many of them. I need some mining equipment now!

What sort of testing was it?

Congrats, and we are all happy for you, heck I bet you could even find someone here ready to come by and help you out for a cut.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chalcopyrite
chalcopyrite32471c.jpg

chalcopyriteAFRICA.jpg

311_rx_Chalcopyrite.jpg

Could be O.P. can you take a better pic? What else did the lab say?

Last edited:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tellurides are usually a silver chrome color and the shapes are usually longitudinal. The primary paying ore in the Cripple Creek mining district 50 miles away. Have you got a propane torch? Heat it up slowly and wear some google and gloves, then tell us what it does.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread