mega-storm formation ? will east coast get hammered next week ?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now we're seeing steady 20 - 25 mph winds, gust to about 40, a few rare gust around 50. If this was in the summer they'd say, "Well, it's a little gusty out there today." :laughing7:

No doubt the sea & surf conditions are very dangerous, but the wind isn't near as threatening as they are playing up to, at least not here, not yet.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Might take a stab at coin beach DE after the cleaner goes thru. Frank hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I officially take back my flippant post. For us here on the east coast, it starting to look really serious. The last time a big storm stalled over us was in 1972, I think, and the flood damage was in the millions. Not to mention we forgot what it was like to have electricity for weeks and weeks. Houses actually washed off their foundations in areas that had never been flooded in modern memory. Yep, we could be in for it.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can be bad either way.
I personally hope it somehow misses us, but if I were to find out they exaggerated everything on purpose, that
would upset me as much as getting hammered.

I do not appreciate weather reporters who lie to get people to tune in.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it tracks as they are anticipating and turns east to make landfall, it could certainly get a bit messy up north. Time will tell.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
latest for my area

Heavy winds and damaging rains are forecast for the storm that could impact Pennsylvania early to the middle of next week, according to the NWS.
"It should be a large, intense storm," said John LaCorte, a meteorologist with NWS in State College.
Possibly six to 10 inches of rain could fall in the area, LaCorte said.

Rain could start late Sunday into Monday and Tuesday, LaCorte said. Flooding and thunderstorms are also possible, according to the NWS.

"This storm could combine with another system to bring some combination of snow, wind, rain and flooding to much of Pennsylvania," said PEMA director Glenn M. Cannon.

Schuylkill County prepares for Hurricane Sandy - News - Republican Herald

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I do not appreciate weather reporters who lie to get people to tune in.

One of my pet peeves is: "This will be our best chance for a Tornado (or insert your weather disaster of choice) . . . "

Best for who? I want to know whether something is "likely" or "most likely". I'm surely not desiring that bad weather. "Best chance" is just the wrong term, but they all use it . . . especially the local weather boy (yes, boy) in Monroe, LA.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I don't think they lie, they JUST DON'T KNOW. All the money that goes to predicting the weather is a bad joke. NOAA spends probably billions and comes up empty. Right now they have two different computer guesses as to where it will hit. I think the old weather bureau did just as good at a fraction of the cost. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 105

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am slated to be in Manhattan Monday through Saturday - any idea how this storm will affect that area?

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On today's Noon News My Electric CO-OP warned our area to expect to be with out power for 7 to 10 days Outside DC. Thank Gawd for my Tractor Supply Generator. Already fueled to the top. A five and a three gallon gas cans sitting full in the garage. Now if I can just not have a tree fall on my house. I live in the woods. Thought that was cool when I built the house. In the woods, on a creek, above flood stage. There was a lot of things I didn't take into account. Falling trees, mega-fall leaves and everything metal rusts.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Coin fetcher, They are going to shut down the subway and the airport will be closed Sat. Probably no power also. But if you have to go, take a raincoat, boots and long-johns hand print-2_edited-5.jpg . Frank

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just saw a article they said( experts there will be 800 mile winds)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am slated to be in Manhattan Monday through Saturday - any idea how this storm will affect that area?

Yeah, don't ride the subway, unless you have water wings, or an inflatable tube :laughing7:

I'm just thinking :icon_scratch: How do you intend to get here, walk :dontknow: I think all the major NY/NJ airports will be shut down as of tonight. :laughing7: You do know we are in a state of emergency :tongue3:

NSDQ - 80 mph is a nice breeze.. I'll sleep with my windows open tomorrow :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just saw a article they said( experts there will be 800 mile winds)

The storm I believe is an 800 mile area. did the report maybe say 800 miles of winds ?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, saw a little while ago, and heard a report that wind gusts may reach 80 mph and that's inland too.. Sustained wind will be about 50 mph. I think my neighborhood may just get rearranged a it and I'll have new neighbors :laughing7:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, saw a little while ago, and heard a report that wind gusts may reach 80 mph and that's inland too.. Sustained wind will be about 50 mph. I think my neighborhood may just get rearranged a it and I'll have new neighbors :laughing7:

Yea Spart, They are wavering between predicting 65 & 75 MPH winds here.
all day the forecasting changes with every report

. Untitledee.jpg

I'm at approximately 1,788 feet above sea level here.
used to be a sign, about a half mile west here that said so.
maybe that's considered a slight hill to some but
here it is the highest point in the county, so hopefully we don't get blown off the top :tongue3:

anyway nsdq said 800 Mile winds, not sure if he heard wrong or posted a typo with an extra 0 .

I know some say tornadoes can blow that high but ??

Last edited:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gives the (political word removed, Has nothing to do with storms) the true meaning of shovel ready jobs (sand bags) sounds like the first time it ever rained, maybe more (dikes) would help Holland had them

Last edited by a moderator:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea Spart, They are wavering between predicting 65 & 75 MPH winds here.
all day the forecasting changes with every report

. View attachment 693262

I'm at approximately 1,788 feet above sea level here.
used to be a sign, about a half mile west here that said so.
maybe that's considered a slight hill to some but
here it is the highest point in the county, so hopefully we don't get blown off the top :tongue3:

anyway nsdq said 800 Mile winds, not sure if he heard wrong or posted a typo with an extra 0 .

I know some say tornadoes can blow that high but ??

Too much Rain or too much deep blowing Show? Not sure which would be the worse of evils in that neck of the woods? Are they saying which is most likely, or is sound like both with the possibility of a little ice tossed into the mix?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread