Megalodon and Great White Shark Tooth Hunting

PaleoCris

Apr 8, 2015
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Vibra-Tector 730
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got a ton of rain here in Florida, so we went to check some of our land sites (dirt roads) for fossils! We were mainly targeting shark teeth, but we also love the invertebrates (shells, coral, shell impressions with calcite crystals, etc). It was a pretty successful trip for the short time we had. For me, there's nothing quite as fun as finding prehistoric treasure. :D We got a great white shark tooth, megalodon teeth, a mako shark tooth, snaggletooth shark tooth, whale bone, calcite crystals, tons of gastropods, etc.

vlcsnap-2018-06-04-13h40m24s370.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-04-13h43m52s547.png

IMG_20180601_153648_045.jpg

vlcsnap-2018-06-04-13h41m21s493.png

-PaleoCris

Last edited:
Upvote 22

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a fun day hunting fossils. I have some Megladons that are brown?
You said . I got a nice 5.75" newnan while digging a private creek for shark teeth a little while back. I may post it here on Treasurenet sometime.
Post it up I think a point from Fla made banner not to long ago.
Good hunt and thanks for sharing.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the awesome teeth and other fossils.
One question...
How do you know its a Megalodon tooth?
Looks very small for such a massive predator.

You can tell by the shape, whether or not it has serrations (meg teeth do but Makos don't), The burlette (which is the part between the root and where the enamel starts), etc.

Sharks lose teeth throughout their lives, even when they are young; the smaller Meg teeth were from juveniles.

OP
OP
PaleoCris

PaleoCris

Apr 8, 2015
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Vibra-Tector 730
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a fun day hunting fossils. I have some Megladons that are brown?
You said . I got a nice 5.75" newnan while digging a private creek for shark teeth a little while back. I may post it here on Treasurenet sometime.
Post it up I think a point from Fla made banner not to long ago.
Good hunt and thanks for sharing.

Thanks Tnmountains! I'll definitely post up a bunch of stuff soon.

Congrats on the awesome teeth and other fossils.
One question...
How do you know its a Megalodon tooth?
Looks very small for such a massive predator.

You can tell by the shape, whether or not it has serrations (meg teeth do but Makos don't), The burlette (which is the part between the root and where the enamel starts), etc.

Sharks lose teeth throughout their lives, even when they are young; the smaller Meg teeth were from juveniles.

DownNDirty pretty much covered how to identify the teeth...They have a lot of very diagnostic features to them, and identification becomes second nature after you've handled a few thousand shark teeth. In these formations, a large serrated tooth has to be great white or megalodon, and a great white tooth looks exactly like a mako, but it's serrated...megs are very different (thicker, a certain shape, the burlette, root shape, etc). My area of Florida was a sort of nursery for megalodon, where juveniles would grow up feeding on dugongs before making their way out to deeper water and feeding on whales as adults.

-PaleoCris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread