Mel Fisher: "Theres a Shipwreck every 1000 feet".

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Mel Fisher: "There's a Shipwreck every 1000 feet".

I got 3 on top of each other and that is not counting the little fishing boats or jet skis. another idiot found the reef today the hard way.

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

wwwtimmcp said:
I got 3 on top of each other and that is not counting the little fishing boats or jet skis. another idiot found the reef today the hard way.

I wish you would elaborate...I myself have found a treasure of sorts...but I am trying to figure out a way to get to it 'legally'.

HH

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

Good Luck! The State won't make it easy and the Lawsuits will follow shortly.
Aquanut

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer

:icon_pirat:

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000

Not to mention the expense of bringing it up. Could cost you anywhere from $200-$1000 per day for leases, permits, boat, fuel, divers, equipment, liability insc. and such. Then if it is not properly taken care of afterwards it could deteriorate in a short time. The state also frowns on old anchors and cannons being brought up without a cleaning facility, cannons can take years to properly clean. They advise them being left where they are.

diverlynn

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

old iron cannons and anchors no one really wants ( in my veiw their value is that they can be used as grid locator "touchstone " points to link where things were found on the bottom at )--- theres no real sale value to em hardly-- plus it cost a ton to conserve em properly too --their the "white elephants" of treasure recovery (best left where their at $ wize )---bronze cannons are a differant matter of course. :wink: and are highly prized just like in the good old days of sailing and for the same reasons --no rust & easy upkeep. :wink: :icon_thumright:

find a treasure wreck is one thing ( in my veiw--- thats the the easy part for a smart cookie)--getting to "legally" recover it however is the hard part these days.

the permitting process of today would outlaw mel fisher and the old boys of the past.

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

the permitting process of today would outlaw mel fisher and the old boys of the past.(IvanSalis)

I honestly believe the govt needs to be removed. But honestly, I believe the population has been 'dumbed down' by brainwashing. It's just getting worse. Our nation is top heavy with way too much govt. This is not a political thing. It is the reality of why we are a third world country.

Anyway....I am a pirate..lol.

:icon_pirat:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

the dumb down is not by accident ---dumb folks are easier to control than smart ones -- lots of folks think "what can I do --after all?"--so why bother "wasting" time or effort worrying about it --- the govts planned to turn folks into "sheeple"---with their 2 party --chinese resturant style politics---pick column A democrats or column B repubicans -- the political "machine" is in place to make folks think their votes actually matter (in fact its the electorical college that "picks" the prez not the popular vote "will of the people")--( yes sadly both party's have long ago sold joe everyman out . ---we need a true 3rd party --but the old electorial college will give it to the parties still --popular vote doesn't mean squat and theres no "law" making the electorial college vote the way the popular vote goes. ( jfk --nixon and bush ring a bell? all won despite not winning the popular vote.)

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000

I honestly believe the govt needs to be removed. But honestly, I believe the population has been 'dumbed down' by brainwashing. It's just getting worse. Our nation is top heavy with way too much govt. This is not a political thing. It is the reality of why we are a third world country

Are we getting off topic here? Third world country??

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

diverlynn said:
I honestly believe the govt needs to be removed. But honestly, I believe the population has been 'dumbed down' by brainwashing. It's just getting worse. Our nation is top heavy with way too much govt. This is not a political thing. It is the reality of why we are a third world country

Are we getting off topic here? Third world country??

Maybe we can hire illegal aliens to form MDing chain gangs. This way we can just skim off the top while others do the labor..kind of like the govt.

H

HAVE DETECTOR WILL TRAVEL

It seems to me the best way is to keep your new found deposit were it sits and just take a short vacation when you need to withdraw.

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine

i don't know about the rest of you... but i'd like to aquire a bunch of those supposedly low value cannons and anchors to use or sell as lawn ornaments and landscape accents. and i wouldn't care if they rusted away in a 100 years.

not every wreck is a historical site. in fact very very few should ever be designated as historic.

remember the old rule of finders keepers ?

and also it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to seek permision, especially where the gov. is involved

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

Cappy Z. said:
I honestly believe the govt needs to be removed.

Governments may come and go, but paper pushing, empire building bureaucrats always remain.

Jay

JahMan2003

Aug 5, 2008
Kentucky

lobsterman said:
i don't know about the rest of you... but i'd like to aquire a bunch of those supposedly low value cannons and anchors to use or sell as lawn ornaments and landscape accents. and i wouldn't care if they rusted away in a 100 years.

not every wreck is a historical site. in fact very very few should ever be designated as historic.

remember the old rule of finders keepers ?

and also it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to seek permision, especially where the gov. is involved

So if anchors and cannons hndreds of years old aren't historic, then what is? I don't follow your point here. Last time I visited the keys I saw lots of russted old anchors, chain and other piles of rust in front of dive shops and shell stores, I assume from the spanish wrecks down there. I loved the fisher museum, but all of this history rotting beside the road kind of made me sick. What's goin to happen when these are all gone (I don't dive on the sites there, so you guys can tell me from your own experience), but do any of these wrecks still have guns and anchors on them, or did the good old boys of days gone by raise them all to leave them rotting by a tourist attrraction?

Just my opinion.

JM

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Frankly, I think we have gone overboard with all this save every speck of history crap. The so called archaeologists are sucking the fun out of treasure hunting because they are in cahoots with govt life long bureaucrats aka blood suckers. Honestly I wouldn't mind some civil unrest here in the states. I am sick of these chosen few telling everyone else what is or is not important.

My two cents.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

During WWII divers were raising cannons in the FL Keys to sell for scrap for the war effort (with the blessing of the state). So their historical value is minimal. Go to the San Marcos Museum in St. Augustine and you will see more cannons than you can shake a stick at.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Having been involved with restoring old homes/buildings for 30 years, I agree not everything old is Mt. Vernon and must be retained in pristine condition. It's particularly true with shipwrecks..the archies control everyone except Mother Nature. Rather than allowing someone to at least recover and explore an item, the state allows the item to slowly disappear due to natural processes.

My impression of state archeologists is that they are simply desk jockeys with a position of importance. Too bad they have developed this barrier and isolated themselves from reality.

JahMan2003

Aug 5, 2008
Kentucky

billinstuart said:
Having been involved with restoring old homes/buildings for 30 years, I agree not everything old is Mt. Vernon and must be retained in pristine condition. It's particularly true with shipwrecks..the archies control everyone except Mother Nature. Rather than allowing someone to at least recover and explore an item, the state allows the item to slowly disappear due to natural processes.

My impression of state archeologists is that they are simply desk jockeys with a position of importance. Too bad they have developed this barrier and isolated themselves from reality.

Okay, when's the last time you found a cannon or anchor in an old house? That is what i was referring to, not some old wallpaper or sink. Sorry, as an outsider, I still dont get it. If recovr and explore means letting it rot in front of a shell shop (and dont these things last for centureis under water) then I'm not sure I'm onboard. In Kentucky we would have to change our pant if we found somethin like that! i took some pictures of an anchor that my litle boy was playin on that hardly looked like anything since it had rotted away either in key largo or ky west and i saw a similar one posted here that had tgrown into a tree!!. I'll post my picture it if i can find it. Yep the hole 50 years oldthing is kind of crazy but i don't know if kentucky law is the same. ive found an old record player in an attic , though I gess that's privat property so the gubment can't take it, but what are we leaving for folks to see on the seafloor?

Do you guys feel the same about limiting fishing for keeping fish popoulatns up, or is the old 'kill all the buffalo, they didn't leave us many' mindset

Maybe I'm on the wrong side of the oin here. don't meant o rile any feathers. the whole thing just struk me on a trip to the keys about five years ago--love the mel fisher musum, hated seeing crap rotting with no treatment and no body to take care of it on the side of the road. arent there steps you can take to preserve these things? wy would you want to let them rot, even if they werent worth much?

jm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread