Melt or sell somehow as jewelry?

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
What is your experience on trying to sell gold & silver finds above the melt value? Do you recommend Ebay or another forum?

You aren't going to have much luck unless that is in nugget form, natural. Collectors pay more than melt pretty much only for that reason.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only sell PM's on eBay when I know it will bring more then scrap value. There are so many variation to determine on what to do, such as cleaning the weighted sterling and things like that to identifying a rare and valuable piece. Selling your PM's for just scrap value on eBay isn't so good anymore as buyers are only paying no more then the PM buyers and with the shipping cost I found you do better in just dealing with your local scrap buyers. Shop around though as, some PM buyers do pay more and it's a lot less hassle then selling online or so it seems to me?. Knowledge is key though as I way over paid at $2.76 a gram for this sterling necklace for a good reason, http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...aid-212-94-77-grams-925-silver-pawn-shop.html ... but on eBay it sold at $15.52 a gram. The scrapper would have most likely only gave me .36 cents a gram for the piece. I never melt pm's, but just clean it up as much as possible. That just seems like an extra expense to me to melt and refine the stuff. If ever we see PM's begin to climb in price daily again, then eBay is a good place to unload the scrap, as some buyer begin to buy on the speculation of increasing prices and pay over spot value.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried just about every avenue in selling Gold and Silver, the best out there is melt. I've posted other threads asking this same question and no-one has been able to top melt.
Even my silver coins, and I find a huge amount of them - I can't sell them anywhere for a decent price - So I trade them in for new ounce silver coins (of-course, no key dates)

I sell mine to ARA out of Dallas Texas - They give a fair price and are honest about the weight.

Welcome to - American Recycling Associates - Gold Refining, Karat Melting, Stone Recovery in Dallas, Tx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread