Members Thoughts?

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
T1.jpg T2.jpg T3.jpg T4.jpg Members, please give your thoughts on this piece. Thank you!:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my first thought is always " I want to be on a warm beach"

as to your piece, I like it. perhaps a hammerstone?

PS what is that machine? you a geologist?

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd ... The shape anyways looks to be hard stone and shows wear from grinding. If I found in a field I would keep it but if found on the shores I hunt I'm not so sure I would have.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
The center ring is simply a harder layer in the rock that didn't get worn down as fast as the rest of the cobble. That part is entirely natural.

The end does show some battering, which very well could be man made.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was a rock final for a magic wand from the rock creatures at Easter Island. That is how my thought process works when I am tired.....

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some sort of anvil is another possibility.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I"m more curious about what geological event caused the layering or intrusion of that thin strata of different material; only to revert back to the original material after the event.
Don......

Nothing reverted back. The vein is a vein of quartz which was molten when it intruded the formation that the host rock was a part of. The cobble itself was once part of a formation likely thousands of feet thick. The quartz is an igneous material, which, when molten, flowed through that formation. Think of the cobble itself as just a fragment of that massive formation.

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever it is, it looks like he didn't have time to complete his project.

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
I have seen beaches where there are literally thousands of these. The first time I saw them I was amazed. I probably carried 30 pounds of them home. The problem was I was visiting Wales in the U.K. and the added weight fees killed me on the flight back to the good old USA.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread