Memorial Day - Coney Island - NO MONEY OR GOLD! - Some Photos, though.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I went to bed last night (really today at 3am!) with visions of gold and coins being attracted by my Land Star's coil calling. Got up at the "break of dawn" (11am since we always get up at noon!). Fantasies are our best bets! The subway ride took almost 2 hours because there was a large group of unruly teenagers, the kind that wears their long shorts to almost below their bellybuttons and have their hair tattooed! They were loud. At one subway station the announcement was that we were being held up because they were waiting for the police to arrive to, obviously, control the unruly group. The group was corralled with about 6 or more cops in attendance. Eventually, we were on our way again.

When the train pulled in to the last stop, Coney Island, the first thing you notice before the hot days of summer, is the coolness, plus the thousands getting off the train and crowding through the narrow passageways. When we were on the street the wind was noticeable. I walked to the boardwalk and girded to detect. But the wind was really blowing around 25-30 mph! You could see the sand being blown into fog-like clouds.

I walked to the water's edge amidst the crowd on the dry sand and headed east. First, though, I tried to ground-balance my Land Star and there was no way I could use ALL METALS on the wet sand since as soon as I tried to lower the coil from waist level the detector would start to sound off. Backing off on the GB control did nothing and I maxed CCW and I still couldn't get a quiet or quieter detector. So I switched to DISC and moved on. No sounds except a sporadic one once in a while. I decided to at least go home with a coin or two so I walked on dry sand. Nary a sound except for one solid high-pitched sound that produced a screw cap. I walked some more but said "The hell with this." and got ready to go home.

Even with the wind blowing fiercely, hardy New Yorkers were still at the beach in force, and going in the water! The news just reported that at Jones Beach there were 500,000!

I took photos though to show you scenes from famous Coney Island. The photo showing a restroom in front of the boardwalk at sand level shows why this beach is a waste to detect. If you remember the Drifter's 1964 song "UNDER THE BOARDWALK" those days are gone forever. You cannot go under the boardwalk any longer as it is fenced off. Worse, the sand now is so high that as you can see in the restroom photo part of the fenced off area. I walked down to the cemented area in front of the restroom, turned around and shot towards the beach. You can see that the sand is about 10-15 feet high! Normally, standing on that cement platform you could see straight to the water. Only a hurricane hitting that area and removing ALL of that sand right up to the boardwalk could give any detectorist a chance at finding the tons of goodies that will be found under the original base.

So, at least enjoy the photos I took for you guys/gals.

1-From the boardwalk before I hit the sand. And in the summer this scene is multiplied many times!
2-Looking across the boardwalk at a food stand and rides behind.
3-Closeup of Wonder Wheel, seen in many movies.
4-The city cares about your comfort and on a hot day people hop like kangaroos. No more!
5-Water's edge looking West towards the Parachute Jump with no one jumping!
6-Water's edge looking East.
7-Yes, a NYC Dept. of Parks and Recreation vehicle. They control the beach.
8-Boardwalk hidden by never-to-be-removed sand dune about 10-15 feet high. That's a restroom
below the sand level!
9-Looking towards the water which at one time, when I was a kid, you could see from here!
10-Sand art.
11-The real thing, plus!

Attachments

• Coney Island 1.JPG
    Coney Island 1.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 289
  • Coney Island 2.JPG
    Coney Island 2.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 291
  • Coney Island 3.JPG
    Coney Island 3.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 283
  • Coney Island 4.JPG
    Coney Island 4.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 289
  • Coney Island 5.JPG
    Coney Island 5.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 298
  • Coney Island 6.JPG
    Coney Island 6.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 277
  • Coney Island 7.JPG
    Coney Island 7.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 292
  • Coney Island 8.JPG
    Coney Island 8.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 289
  • Coney Island 9.JPG
    Coney Island 9.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 280
  • Coney Island 10.JPG
    Coney Island 10.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 286
  • Coney Island 11.JPG
    Coney Island 11.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 284

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i bet you can turn some coin up after that crowd leaves. nice pic. what make is that land star, and by whom :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
liftloop said:
i bet you can turn some coin up after that crowd leaves. nice pic. what make is that land star, and by whom :thumbsup:
No doubt that a coin or two can be found. But you gotta cover a lot of acreage for them. I'm sticking with parks from now on except when I go to Long Beach (Long Island, NY) or Atlantic City which have flatter sand. BOUNTY HUNTER makes the Land Star and a whole bunch of other low-price to mid-price detectors. They're great on land and dry sand.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some of my friends use bounty hunters.my sons first detecture is a bounty hunter he got for xmass last year from his granpa:thumbsup:

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Wow, that place was packed. Take a stroll into the Bronx parks Ed...........it won't take you nearly as long as that two hour trip and you'll have a good shot at silver.........plus, there are coins everywhere........a crapload actually.

Ricardo

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Ricardo_NY1 said:
Wow, that place was packed. Take a stroll into the Bronx parks Ed...........it won't take you nearly as long as that two hour trip and you'll have a good shot at silver.........plus, there are coins everywhere........a crapload actually.

Ricardo
I'm on my way, Ricardo! Of course, you gotta be talking about Van Cortlandt Park and I'll admit that it being over 1,000 acres big, I hardly touched it doing only the Parade ground, the Pool area , and the Stadium area. So, I gotta go back up there and see about finding some of that silver. And that nice, looong subway ride!

Edward

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Ed, Van Cortland I hear is a hot zone with those rangers..........I was more along the lines of PBP.

Ricardo

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBP has had someone pounding it hard almost everyday. I got a chance to swing by there for a quick fix after work and you could see where someone was digging plugs. I asked the ranger lady friend that works there and she said there are a couple of retired gentlemen that lives close by that come out everyday. Needless to say i didn't find much while there. I did manage to hit my new park and got 7 silver. I will get a post up soon. There are places here that haven't been hunted but they are not public so some research and asking gos along way.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Bob, were the plugs neat or that crap we've been seeing lately? Seriously, there is somone out there in PBP digging some nasty plugs all over the place. I haven't been there since the last time we hunted together, but I'm always willing to give those places shots. Bob, that area we hunted in, it has been pounded for the last decade, and we were still pulling silver. GIve it another two months or three, and I bet you the signals will re-appear.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are neat plugs,covered holes. Not only in the woods but the grass areas too. The woods has got alot of ivy now and is starting to grow in. I may go back there sometime later in the year but right now I'm working a very hot place that's producing.

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Ricardo_NY1 said:
Ed, Van Cortland I hear is a hot zone with those rangers..........I was more along the lines of PBP.

Ricardo
Going to Pelham Bay Park is a trip I want to make with Linda, my wife. Next free day she has and it's not too hot, we'll plan. Instead of the beach, though, I'd like to do the wooded picnic grounds. Heard it produces lots of silver.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Silver Fox,

Those pictures sure bring back memories. I used to live about 5 miles from Coney Island. Had many good times at Astroland. The parachute ride was still in operation when I live in Brooklyn.

Sure is some large crowd. Wow.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Ray S E Cen FL

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6
Pelham can be crowded this time of year, and im pretty sure they consider most of it off limits, guess it depends on the Parks officer u run into $250 fine is not worth the few coins you could find. NYC parks is kinds iffy when it comes to the definition of "rough Lawn"-detectable, and "manicured lawn"-undetectable. And pls don't disturb/remove any of the invasive species, they consider them native. :icon_jokercolor:

-you can get pull tab vertigo if you walk through the heavily picnicked areas trying to count them..

good luck if you make it up/over here

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ricardo
[/quote]
Going to Pelham Bay Park is a trip I want to make with Linda, my wife. Next free day she has and it's not too hot, we'll plan. Instead of the beach, though, I'd like to do the wooded picnic grounds. Heard it produces lots of silver.

[/quote]

Me and Ric always hit the woods and stayed out of site while there. The picnic areas looked too nice to dig in. Bring your check book if you want to risk it. We didnt.

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
EZrider said:

[/quote]

Me and Ric always hit the woods and stayed out of site while there. The picnic areas looked too nice to dig in. Bring your check book if you want to risk it. We didnt.
[/quote]
Having gone to PHB once or twice with my parents in 1949/1950 I don't remember the place. But when I started detecting I would read of detectorists hitting it good in the wooded areas which in the photos looked pretty muddy. I thought that the picnic grounds were in the woods. Thanks for straightening me out.

Silver Fox

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6
Large areas of the picnic grounds from way back when are now overgrown woods. Trouble is there is soo much trash and real thick thorn bushes, the same general area was also the location of the Old Colonial Inn, and parts of the Naval training Camp that was there in the late 19-teens, unfortunately all of that was pre-Robert Moses dump-fill-cover the good stuff- ding! Orchard beach is made.. Ill be hitting up PBP before this weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread