Memories from long ago - A neat calendar from my grandfather

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
This really is pretty neat and certainly memorabilia.

My Maternal Grandfather was a World War I veteran and worked in the shipyards of Newport News, VA during World War II.

This is his actual calendar from those days - from June, 1943.

We have to remember our history to understand our future.

img030.jpg

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You might find this interesting. It appears to be the text only version of 1943 graduating class. They chose the shipyard for their theme. If you scroll almost to the end there is well wishes to the class from Freeman's Fur. You may run across some of your ancestry.

That's pretty darned cool! I scanned through the text looking for Mom's name, but I'll have to do it again.

Mom is 92 now, and I just forwarded this to her. Her brain is still very sharp, it may lead her to tears seeing some of her classmate's names.

Thank you!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh wow! That was your mom's class? That's crazy! I'm glad I passed it on!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh wow! That was your mom's class? That's crazy! I'm glad I passed it on!

Yep! Sure was. Mom's still asleep, I'll get a reaction to her reading it later today. She'll probably confiscate the calendar from me! I found it exploring the attic in my house (my grandparents house) going through old boxes and just had to mount it on the wall beside me right now.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is one great story. I look forward to hearing your mom's reaction.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Alas, was a bit of a sad ending, Mom said she didn't recognize any of the names. I guess she took a thorough look. 74 years does take a toll though.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is cool!!

I just recently found a rations book that has my Great Grandfathers name in it. I haven't sat down to look up what they were for and why. I do kind of remember something about food rationing. But not sure for which war(?) or the details...I have colored blue and red little cardboard tokens too.

I like finding stuff like that, and I seem to be the only one in the family that even cares, so I try to collect it and bring it from my grandmothers. I have a pic. I'll try to post back to this thread......I don't know how well it will show up. My Grandmother still has the original, I was able to get a computer print copy. I'll try to find it and post here. I think it's cool history!! It's cooler to me because my Great Grandfather was on guard.

Added.....
"1927 Cinci. Ohio, on Display after First solo non stop flight across the Atlantic "his name" as guard" Is what they wrote on the back. I have never fact checked this. I just assumed it was written on the original too... You can also see where someone penned in part of the name of the plane. I think that was done ...Maybe when they did color enhancing too? The green just looks out of place to me. But this is a copy of the original. The story goes......He wasn't supposed to let anyone near it. A reporter told him if he let him take pictures he would make sure he got one of them. So...He let them close for pictures. I remember him telling the story...But no idea if it's all fact or Grandpa just telling stories..:laughing7:

DSCN0005 (2).JPG

I love finding stuff like what you found! I can't even imagine that time period good and bad. Those guys saw the first cars!!! A lot of them originally came from horse drawn farms! Then to see the first cars,planes, etc...Stuff we just look at as normal today. That must have been an exciting and scary time! I was fortunate enough to know my Great Grand Father. I had no idea at the time what I was missing by not recording or writing down his experiences that he talked about. He was on a TV show at one time, it was Ohio channels PBS (?) 45 and 49. Talking about things from that time. NO one in the family can remember a date or what the actual topic was, war? The early 1900's? I would love to find a copy of it, just to have it.

Anyhow...Very cool stuff! Even cooler when we find personal items from family members of that time. Sry for the ramble...I like this kind of stuff....Just holding the items makes you think...........

Last edited:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
That is cool!!

I just recently found a rations book that has my Great Grandfathers name in it. I haven't sat down to look up what they were for and why. I do kind of remember something about food rationing. But not sure for which war(?) or the details...I have colored blue and red little cardboard tokens too.

I like finding stuff like that, and I seem to be the only one in the family that even cares, so I try to collect it and bring it from my grandmothers. I have a pic. I'll try to post back to this thread......I don't know how well it will show up. My Grandmother still has the original, I was able to get a computer print copy. I'll try to find it and post here. I think it's cool history!! It's cooler to me because my Great Grandfather was on guard.

Added.....
"1927 Cinci. Ohio, on Display after First solo non stop flight across the Atlantic "his name" as guard" Is what they wrote on the back. I have never fact checked this. I just assumed it was written on the original too... You can also see where someone penned in part of the name of the plane. I think that was done ...Maybe when they did color enhancing too? The green just looks out of place to me. But this is a copy of the original. The story goes......He wasn't supposed to let anyone near it. A reporter told him if he let him take pictures he would make sure he got one of them. So...He let them close for pictures. I remember him telling the story...But no idea if it's all fact or Grandpa just telling stories..:laughing7:

View attachment 1500332

I love finding stuff like what you found! I can't even imagine that time period good and bad. Those guys saw the first cars!!! A lot of them originally came from horse drawn farms! Then to see the first cars,planes, etc...Stuff we just look at as normal today. That must have been an exciting and scary time! I was fortunate enough to know my Great Grand Father. I had no idea at the time what I was missing by not recording or writing down his experiences that he talked about. He was on a TV show at one time, it was Ohio channels PBS (?) 45 and 49. Talking about things from that time. NO one in the family can remember a date or what the actual topic was, war? The early 1900's? I would love to find a copy of it, just to have it.

Anyhow...Very cool stuff! Even cooler when we find personal items from family members of that time. Sry for the ramble...I like this kind of stuff....Just holding the items makes you think...........

Well, now you are in my neck of the woods. I will research cincy stations. But I can tell you 45 is dayton station. WRGT-TV, FOX 45, first signed on September 23, 1984. WRiGhT brothers is where it's call letters came from. (How original!:laughing7:)

Also, we have Wright Patterson air force base. I could understand the pic coming from WPAFB. But I will look. Also, Mackaydon is familiar with this area and he's a lot smarter than I am. You could ask him.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, now you are in my neck of the woods. I will research cincy stations. But I can tell you 45 is dayton station. WRGT-TV, FOX 45, first signed on September 23, 1984. WRiGhT brothers is where it's call letters came from. (How original!:laughing7:)

Also, we have Wright Patterson air force base. I could understand the pic coming from WPAFB. But I will look. Also, Mackaydon is familiar with this area and he's a lot smarter than I am. You could ask him.

The pic came from Cinci...1923 in Lunken field... There are similar pics online with the exact same background. Fence,flags, guards, vegetation, etc...

The night I posted I found pics with the same background...There is one of them in this link...
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/history/2014/09/27/charles-lindbergh-welcomed-lunken/16367319/

WEAO (?) channels 45 and 49 were a PBS(?) station... and I watched it in Akron/ Canton, and would have been in the early 90's I believe. I vaguely remember....I don't know what the history show was about and no one else can seem to remember either. I tried to find anything on youtube ...but came up empty...

I tried to find info the other night, but that was all the further I got.:laughing7:

Last edited:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Alas, was a bit of a sad ending, Mom said she didn't recognize any of the names. I guess she took a thorough look. 74 years does take a toll though.

Well, that was pretty wild for a minute! All I did was Google "Freedmans Fur Salon in New Port News, VA. I sometimes pull out my yearbooks and I don't remember some and I have pictures to go by. I even went to school with Roger Clemens and don't remember him.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
come on people, who else expected a playboy calendar?

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
The pic came from Cinci...1923 in Lunken field... There are similar pics online with the exact same background. Fence,flags, guards, vegetation, etc...

The night I posted I found pics with the same background...There is one of them in this link...
Charles Lindbergh welcomed at Lunken in 1927

WEAO (?) channels 45 and 49 were a PBS(?) station... and I watched it in Akron/ Canton, and would have been in the early 90's I believe. I vaguely remember....I don't know what the history show was about and no one else can seem to remember either. I tried to find anything on youtube ...but came up empty...

I tried to find info the other night, but that was all the further I got.:laughing7:

1st guess at tv show: American Chronicles aired 1990-1991 on Fox
This show, however, wasn't local to Cincinnati. It was network. It was historical.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Chronicles

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Back to the original post.
DeepseekerADS have you researched on this site?

Virginia Memory

Not yet, hadn't seen it before.

Right now I'm heading out for some dirt digging as soon as I log off - wish me luck!

Thank you for all the tips :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread