Memphis silver!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to start this post off with a big THANK YOU to tabman! My wife and I took a weekend trip to Memphis. Tabman was gracious enough to pick me up from my hotel both Saturday and Sunday morning and take me hunting at his permissions! What a great guy! Also, don't expect his silver streak to end anytime soon, the guy is amazing with a detector!

So, Saturday we get to the first house, start at the corner, he takes the right easement, I take the left. Very first swing... 12-47, out pops a 1943 quarter. I figure this is going to be a great day. I pull tons of pennies out of the easement and a Ladies Lorus watch. I start by the sidewalk in the yard and pull more pennies and a 1948s Rosie. I holler at tabman and he has already scored 2 silver. He says that he is skipping pennies, so I decide to do the same. I also switched from the E-TRAC to the F44 because the yard was so clean and the coins were shallow. I scored my first 4 silvers with the F44 including my first Walking Liberty, 1940 Walker, 1941 Merc, 1941 Merc and 1964d proof-like Washington. Tabman got a quarter and 8 dimes IIRC.

20160423 Saturday Silver Memphis.jpg
20160423 1940 Walker.jpg
20160423 Lorus watch.jpg

On the way back to the hotel, we stopped at 4 houses along the way and got 4 new permissions! The wife and I ate some good BBQ and I got some sleep.

Sunday, we go to a couple of the permissions we got Saturday. My very first dig was a 1957 Rosie. It looked like it was going to be another crazy silver day. But, alas no. Neither of us found another silver at this house or the next. We then went to a permission tabman already had. It was a pristine yard that looked like it would hold all kinds of silver. I found a few clad coins, but tabman pulled 2 Rosies. That was a relief, his streak was still alive. We went to another of his permissions. It was a small yard and we found a few clad coins, but then I got a 1-45. I'm thinking silver dollar so I dug a big wide flap. It turned out to be a honker of a silver ring.

20160424 Silver Ring.jpg 20160424 Silver Ring weight.jpg

Then we headed to a big corner lot permission we got the day before. I dug a 1937 Buffalo and this US pin. Any ideas what it is specifically? The back was a pin at one point with the squeeze type back. Tabman pulled his 3rd Rosie for the day.

20160424 US pin.jpg

Overall, it was an AWESOME trip. The wife and I ate a lot of good BBQ, ate at the Cheesecake Factory a couple of times, went to the big Bass Pro Shop in the pyramid downtown and the zoo. I got to meet and hunt with tabman and leave with 7 silver coins, a Buffalo, a US pin, a big silver ring and a ladies watch. What a great weekend! Thanks again tabman!

20160425 Memphis finds.jpg

Upvote 19

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're welcome Jason. I had a great time as well! I'm happy that I could put you on some silver.

tabman

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen his posts. The guys FINDS some silver.

Congrats on the Walker! And very well done on the rest of the loot. WOW. Killer hunt!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling those 11 keepers. Silver halves always bring a smile to my face. Kudos to tabman for the invite and sharing permissions. Now it's time for you to get some good ones and get a streak going lime the master "tabman".

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The metal detecting community is so awesome, I think I love the story even more than the finds! And those are some darn right amazing finds!!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Cow, You and Tabman really cleaned up on the silver that day,now you two can go into a coin dealorship together.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on all the silver!

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The U.S. pin is collar brass for a military uniform. Nice hunts.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds. Are you going to try to find out what's on that ring? I'd be interested in knowing.

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic hunt for the both of you! Tabman does have a nose for the silver...I spent most my life in Memphis but recently moved away. Things are a little different out here in many ways, but I'm starting to get consistent old coins at a couple of places.

Congrats on all your loot and I will be down that way in June - maybe the three of us could go pull some silver somewhere! 8-)

richardson

Jan 8, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus;
Nokta Makro Anfibio;
Garrett AT Pro;
Tesoro Vaquero;
Fisher F5;
Whites Eagle Spectrum - Started it all
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NICE silver haul and that ring is AWESOME!!! Congrats

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WAY- TO-GO.jpg ...take pic of back of US collar disc - I might be able to date it better

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread