Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you return them you have to pay return shipping and maybe even the sellers shipping cost depending on their return policy. You paid $3 over spot but for Ebay you did ok. If you resell you will take a loss, you can't buy at high retail and expect to flip for a profit or even get your money back. If you are looking to re-sell you will have wait until silver goes up to get your money back.

Hold on to them!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
return them for what reason ? Were you misled in some way ? I don't know the details so please don't take my comments personal but as a seller I'm sick & tired of buyers wasting my time by changing their mind for whatever reason simply because the "new improved" Ebay protects only the buyers. Someone is the high bidder on my stuff and simply decides they changed their mind and dosn't pay ? No big deal, just a huge waste of MY time and potential lost sale to the second place guy. I can't leave bad feedback and the deadbeat gets off scott free. I'm old school Ebay. When everyone was kept honest by mutual feedback left for BOTH parties. Now buyers treat it like they're shopping at Walmart... Sorry for the rant. What is wrong with the coins you received that wasn't disclosed in the auction ? Better yet post a link to the auction and then tell us what you're unhappy with.. Just as a personal example I once sold a tin can full of wheats I got when my mom passed away on Ebay. I advertised them as being "unsearched by ME" which was absolutely true and I put clearly in the ad where I got them from and that mom was a long time coin collector. The high bidder returned them claiming they had been searched and were mostly 40s & 50s dates. I have no way of knowing if they cherry picked out some good ones and threw in some common stuff they had or not and I was stuck giving them a refund when I had done everything right and been totally honest. Must be nice.. Free searching of coin lots. Buy them, pick through them, and then send the ones you don't want back.. This ain't the stamp of the month club.. Again. Nothing personal.

Last edited:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NH Bandit - so agree with alot of what you said. Ebay is so buyer-centric its not funny. Luckily I have never had to deal with any returns, but I have dealt with some buyers that gave me a real hassle. They give you the run around, don't pay, and then give YOU bad feedback? Ebay is pretty good about removing unwarranted feedback but you still have to take the time to call and get it resolved.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Joe I don't mean to sidetrack this thread and turn it into an Ebay rant. It just gets old. The latest one was a $300 set of 7 German straight razors my wife sold. The buyer claimed he never recieved them even though tracking showed them as being delivered. Ebay was ready to give him a refund until I called HIS post office and had them check with their mail carrier. Luckily it was a small town and the carrier remembered handing the package to the man. I gave all this new info to Ebay and the phone number of that post office and the name of the mail carrier. The next day the case was closed in our favor and the buyer was blocked from leaving any feedback and from bidding on any more of our auctions. He should have been banned for life..

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe I don't mean to sidetrack this thread and turn it into an Ebay rant. It just gets old. The latest one was a $300 set of 7 German straight razors my wife sold. The buyer claimed he never recieved them even though tracking showed them as being delivered. Ebay was ready to give him a refund until I called HIS post office and had them check with their mail carrier. Luckily it was a small town and the carrier remembered handing the package to the man. I gave all this new info to Ebay and the phone number of that post office and the name of the mail carrier. The next day the case was closed in our favor and the buyer was blocked from leaving any feedback and from bidding on any more of our auctions. He should have been banned for life..

Postal fraud, the guy should be arrested!

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP bought a bunch of quasi-slick Mercs for $3 over spot and wants to return them? Return them if you want to and the seller accepts returns. However, it wouldn't be worth the money/time/etc for me to return it... So I'd keep them.

I don't know if the other posters here realize this, but accepting returns means you get increased prices. I generally am willing to pay extra if I know I can return the coin provided it doesn't meet the specifications I'm looking for. If it's a pure gamble, I'm far less likely to spend up to my max number without assurances of some kind of guarantee.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP bought a bunch of quasi-slick Mercs for $3 over spot and wants to return them? Return them if you want to and the seller accepts returns. However, it wouldn't be worth the money/time/etc for me to return it... So I'd keep them.

I don't know if the other posters here realize this, but accepting returns means you get increased prices. I generally am willing to pay extra if I know I can return the coin provided it doesn't meet the specifications I'm looking for. If it's a pure gamble, I'm far less likely to spend up to my max number without assurances of some kind of guarantee.

Do you really think it means increased price? Maybe its just me but I buy on Ebay already knowing that if the seller doesnt accept returns and there is a problem Ebay/Paypal will make it right. I have only had to return 3 items in 8+ years (bootleg dvd, fake morgans, and a 1878 cc Morgan that the seller altered the photos). Maybe they do increase returns - I just started allowing returns for my Ebay items (except silver coins - or coins sold primarily for their metal content). Personally if I had made this sale I would not accept a return, especially if i sold them when silver was closer to $21. The buyer knew the condition beforehand "they are in vg to vf or f" and still put a bid in. To me Ebay buyer protection is to prevent against fraud and not buyer remorse.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you really think it means increased price? Maybe its just me but I buy on Ebay already knowing that if the seller doesnt accept returns and there is a problem Ebay/Paypal will make it right. I have only had to return 3 items in 8+ years (bootleg dvd, fake morgans, and a 1878 cc Morgan that the seller altered the photos). Maybe they do increase returns - I just started allowing returns for my Ebay items (except silver coins - or coins sold primarily for their metal content). Personally if I had made this sale I would not accept a return, especially if i sold them when silver was closer to $21. The buyer knew the condition beforehand "they are in vg to vf or f" and still put a bid in. To me Ebay buyer protection is to prevent against fraud and not buyer remorse.

Depends on what you sell, but for what I buy (raw morgans, raw seated material, and early 1900's coinage) returns definitely help since most sellers can't take an image to save their lives and I have no idea what I'm really getting. Just as a reference point, I spend about $30k on eBay on coins every year as I buy/flip stuff all the time.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Postal fraud, the guy should be arrested!

You are right Joe! The Buyer may have closed the case against the Seller (NHBandit's wife) but it does not always end there. eBay and/or PayPal often assigns the case to one of their' Investigators to find out if there is fraud. If the Investigator finds that there is, then they will turn all of the information over to the appropriate Postal and Law Enforcement Authorities. If the Buyer has tried this once but failed, they may have tried it numerous times and got away with it. Let's just say that if there is a pattern, the Buyer may be spending some quality time behind bars and will have to make restitution to all of the Sellers he or she defrauded.

Frank

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
You are right Joe! The Buyer may have closed the case against the Seller (NHBandit's wife) but it does not always end there. eBay and/or PayPal often assigns the case to one of their' Investigators to find out if there is fraud. If the Investigator finds that there is, then they will turn all of the information over to the appropriate Postal and Law Enforcement Authorities. If the Buyer has tried this once but failed, they may have tried it numerous times and got away with it. Let's just say that if there is a pattern, the Buyer may be spending some quality time behind bars and will have to make restitution to all of the Sellers he or she defrauded.

Frank
The Ebay guy I spoke to on the phone is the one who closed the case after looking into it and finding that the buyer lied. I knew something was fishy right away when I had called the buyer on the phone twice to discuss the matter and he blew me off telling me he was busy and would call me back. Of course he never did. That's when I decided to call Ebay. The sad truth though is that Ebay does as little as possible to try to help sellers these days. I'm sure if I hadn't done ALL the work calling the buyers post office and then providing Ebay with their phone number as well as the name of the mail carrier who delivered the package they likely would have found in the buyer's favor and refunded his money. The Ebay rep even told me that once a case is opened it's almost always decided in favor of the buyer regardless of the facts. I miss the old Ebay.. Still waiting to hear what the "problem" is with this roll of dimes the OP received.

Last edited:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ebay guy I spoke to on the phone is the one who closed the case after looking into it and finding that the buyer lied. I knew something was fishy right away when I had called the buyer on the phone twice to discuss the matter and he blew me off telling me he was busy and would call me back. Of course he never did. That's when I decided to call Ebay.

I'd love to find out if Ebay took it any further!

Bandit2

Jan 7, 2014
Portsmouth, Va.Metro-West Taxachusettes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to find out if Ebay took it any further!

And Lose a " Valued Buyer " ?
Or something like this

What is eBay doing about buyers who constantly abu... - The eBay Community
" rc_therapy "
For when they delete the post later today
I and several others have had a run in with the eBay member baddog0304. If you look at the feedback that he leaves for others, 75% of it is negative.He leaves negative after negative feedback. Sometimes as many at 15 or so in a row.

Was his feedback profile whitewashed? He's only left 7 negs and a ton of positives ?

Its gone. The Neg he left on my account is gone. Just the other day I looked at his feedback left for others and one whole page was negative after negative. Thats like 15 in a row. I sold him a radio in July. Thats less than a year ago. The feedback is gone.

He's still selling items, so He wasn't suspended. What did they do to correct his behavior?

"What did they do to correct his behavior?"

They deleted a bunch of his feedback and told him to play nice,
or else maybe they'll do it again someday. Harsh huh?

Welcome To The NEW Improved Flea-Bay

Bandit

Last edited:
OP
OP
crhgymnast1

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
return them for what reason ? Were you misled in some way ? I don't know the details so please don't take my comments personal but as a seller I'm sick & tired of buyers wasting my time by changing their mind for whatever reason simply because the "new improved" Ebay protects only the buyers. Someone is the high bidder on my stuff and simply decides they changed their mind and dosn't pay ? No big deal, just a huge waste of MY time and potential lost sale to the second place guy. I can't leave bad feedback and the deadbeat gets off scott free. I'm old school Ebay. When everyone was kept honest by mutual feedback left for BOTH parties. Now buyers treat it like they're shopping at Walmart... Sorry for the rant. What is wrong with the coins you received that wasn't disclosed in the auction ? Better yet post a link to the auction and then tell us what you're unhappy with.. Just as a personal example I once sold a tin can full of wheats I got when my mom passed away on Ebay. I advertised them as being "unsearched by ME" which was absolutely true and I put clearly in the ad where I got them from and that mom was a long time coin collector. The high bidder returned them claiming they had been searched and were mostly 40s & 50s dates. I have no way of knowing if they cherry picked out some good ones and threw in some common stuff they had or not and I was stuck giving them a refund when I had done everything right and been totally honest. Must be nice.. Free searching of coin lots. Buy them, pick through them, and then send the ones you don't want back.. This ain't the stamp of the month club.. Again. Nothing personal.
well the pics sucked so I messages him for a range of dates and conditions. He said something about an auction in XF to AU condition so I stamped on it. Well after the misunder standing came through I found out they were good condition, but hey can't complain for 1.8some a dime not bad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread