"Merchant Royal"

DougRecovery

Mar 21, 2006
"Merchant Royal"

Is it normal for a british merchant vessel of the 1600's to weigh in at 700 tonnes and carry 32 bronze guns?
i've done a bit of research and found a warship of his majesties navy by the name of "Bear" who's original name was "Merchant Royal" she weighed in at 700 tonnes with 32 guns aswell. Firstly is there any chance this is the same ship that has been renamed again, and secondly is there any other record in history of a warship being turned into a merchant vessel but still retaining her guns? i swear this ship is going to be the death of me!!
I have written to a Professor Sarah Palmer at the University of Greenwich and am just awaiting a response.

Re: "Merchant Royal"

So much money has been spent on this ship already, I mean tens of millions of pounds. If you want to know more I suggest Cambridge University Library UK, rare docs section, they have something there, I have never checked it up, but as the Egyptians said "it is written" and some of it it is written there. I have the bin no somewhere for the document.

The Continental shelf goes out hundreds of miles there and it has been surveyed to death, maybe she hit a rock and sank.

I do not know if the ship was renamed but ships were taken as prize and renamed so she could have been a merchantman or a war ship or even Spanish or anything else you have to check.

If you find the treasure half is mine, this is the hard part. If the ship was easy she would already be salvaged, maybe she has and no one said anything. Research is where its at, I have given you a lead, a good one I think, but you will not be the first there, I am sure. Ask Kendal Macdonald or Nigel Picton to name just 2

700 tons no problem, a British ship with 32 bronze cannos is unusual but not impossible, there are better qualified people on here to tell you about the guns.

As for the name I guess there are many ships with the same name, you need to check dates to see if its the same ship.

Kids Adventure Galley was originally called Quedah Merchant I think.

Keep digging.

Oh Professors are not renown for giving out information.

Cablava... Do you know of any other deep water wrecks in the same area as the Merchant Royal? TIA

Cornelius... My diving days are over, and haven't dove for 30 years. I'm referring to deep water wrecks only accessible until recently with an ROV. :)

The UK has plenty of wrecks off the Lizard, but as Cornelius most have been visited. There are so many books on the subject in UK. If you are interested I would vivt a few secondhand book stores, it is amazing what you find in there.

Google will give you many ships to work with, some of the Armada went down in that area, get in and dig up some info you will likely love it its great fun,(well I think so anyway)

Mike

Thanks very much for the help guys. I have learned that research is slow and painful on ships that have sunk in this era unless they're spanish it would seem. oh and cablava for the invaluable help you have provided so far you are more than welcome to a share of anything we find although your probably looking at a teapot or maybe an arsenal shirt but we'll see!! Also whilst doing a touch of research on the Celtic shelf where im slowly narrowing my search area to i stumbled across a hypothesis on Atlantis being located right there on the shelf interesting read if you like that kind of thing.

Doug... I wouldn't be surprised if the Royal makes the nightly news sometime this year. ;)

Well I guess they have to do something to get the stock back up Jeff. This would be a starter

Well we can only hope ;D

Nearly finished plans for the RoV i will post some pics of the building work once it starts. oh and what are your thoughts on this old survey boat being used as a launch platform for a dive team of 2 and the ROV i have better pics but until i resize them this will have to do.

Attachments

• 37547_1.jpg
    37547_1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 224

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back