Mercury and barber dimes old but made to many

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few key dates and very fine to uncirculated. Thats about it.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my 1921d I found has history of selling for a few hundred

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A roll of Barber dimes sells for $150 to $200 on eBay, so that's not bad. A roll of Mercury dimes sells for $110 to $150, which isn't too shabby either. But you are correct, they did mint a ridiculous amount of Mercs. The Barber dime mintages weren't that high overall, though.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now prices are up due to inherent cost of silver. When silver nose dives again, prices will also nose dive on the common dates. Its a continuing cycle.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barber harder to find, slq quarter hard, v nickels I find , Indian pennies, wheat to, modern

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again folks don’t hold your breath on those meter or vdi numbers, silver dimes not always the number they say, and for others to, dig the darn thing, if your to tired take a sit down, I no all about the ups and down, can’t afford to hire a digger.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The largest amount of Mercury dimes minted in a given year was 343 million in 1944. Compare that to the mintage of Roosevelt dimes in 2015......3 BILLION, 30 million.......roughly 10 times the amount but our population today isn't 10 times what it was in 1944. Therefore we are minting WAY too many dimes now but yet they tell us there's a coin shortage.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, no demand for pennies, but they minted over 7.5 BILLION of them last year. What's the point?

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, no demand for pennies, but they minted over 7.5 BILLION of them last year. What's the point?

Because modern pennies corrode away into nothing after a year or two in the ground...lol.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure do modern pennies vdi is different a little from older ones I believe to. So what’s valuable in reason as far as pennies nickels and dimes and quarter go. I don’t detect because of that if so I’d stop, it’s everything else that’s in ground to folks you no

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some coins once. They are all gone now.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A roll of Barber dimes sells for $150 to $200 on eBay, so that's not bad. A roll of Mercury dimes sells for $110 to $150, which isn't too shabby either. But you are correct, they did mint a ridiculous amount of Mercs. The Barber dime mintages weren't that high overall, though.

Consider the period of time those minted in high numbers
- the good ol' USA may have been going into a reconstruction period
- or the lower mintage's account for maybe the fewer minted...?
My guess....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like everything else the internet has killed a lot of collectible markets because things are much easier to find and to get now. What was rare and difficult to locate not so long ago are now commonplace and easily accessed on the internet. Add to this that the internet also provided everyone with a global marketplace and it's easy to see why most collectible markets have suffered.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically, you can get every since Indian Cent, Lincoln Cent, Merc Dime or Roosevelt dime for a collection if you want to. Only a few will be pricey. Wouldn't it be cool to find some pre 1830 US Gold coins?

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold coin period , why so hard to find. Nobody had them, or hid them.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1895 O Barber dimes and 1916 D Mercury dimes are two of the tougher dates. Although I've never dug either one, I do own both of them (pcgs certified) in my private collection. Maybe I'll luck out one day, and pull one from the dirt. I have dug 4 - 1916 Mercs, but no D's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions