Mercury Head Dimes - Complete Set

Wardster

Dec 21, 2006
Kingston, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
It has been a while since I have posted anything, but this one is worth mentioning. My grandfather was an avid coin collector and had an apparent passion for dimes. My mom got half of his collection, which has been sitting in a trunk since he passed in 1991. She decided that it is time to split it up between me and and four siblings, so I helped get the ball rolling by helping her split up the proof sets, uncirculated sets, and commemorative sets dating back to 1960. We finished that task and she says that she has something to show me. She digs through the box and pulls out a hardback book entitled "Library of Coins" "Liberty Head Dimes 1916-1945". The book has a copyright of 1959 by The Coin and Currency Institute, Inc. and inside is a complete set including the 1916D and the 1942 over 1. While this isn't something dug from the ground it certainly had me excited because of the rare coins it contains. While I was showing my emotion, my mom digs in the box and hands me another book containing another complete set. She told me that the first one contained the best coin for the year and mint that my grandfather found and the second book were the next best.

I took the the better book to a dealer this morning and they wanted it pretty bad, but only offered $900 for it. I knew the 1916D was worth that by itself, but I wasn't going to make too big a deal out of it since it's currently not for sale. The dealer did say that he would pull the 1916D and 1942 over 1 out of the book to have them stabbed, so I might suggest that. Not that I have any reason to believe either one is counterfeit considering how long they've been in storage, but a future buyer would most likely want that guarantee. I intend to post pics as soon as I get everything scanned, so check back later for pics.

Warsdter

Upvote 5

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The dealer probably thought you didn't know what those coins were. I would have laughed at the 900 dollar offer. Great, great sets!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That could be a 10k collection, maybe more, depending on the conditions of the individual coins.

OP
OP
W

Wardster

Dec 21, 2006
Kingston, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Here are a few pictures taken with my iPhone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 200
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 114

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, if you could just arrange for a rather large "pocket spill". Or maybe a cache to the old post hole bank? ;)

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , Nice inheritance for sure ! Yeah the $900. sounds like a freakin joke - since the 1916-D alone Red books ,
at over $1000. (and that's the 2013 edition ) So the entire rest of the set all those dates/mints from 1916 -1945
are worthless ? Amazing the moxy that some people have ! (I can't wait to see some close ups of your 16-D )

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a very nice inheritance from your grandfather. Hopefully you will hang onto it and pass it down to your children in the future.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coin dealers will maybe pay half of what it's worth. That's how they stay in business. :)

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing the moxy that some people have ! (I can't wait to see some close ups of your 16-D )

I want to see close-ups of the rare coins, too. You will get the best appraisal from your friends here on Tnet.

I don't fault coin shops for low-balling. They low ball for the same reason I low ball at a yard sale. Worst the seller can say is no. Now, you don't want to low ball so bad that you get a poor reputation, but as a brick and mortar store? Offering around half of what they see the worth to be? No big deal. After all, they put in the work and $$ to get slabbed/auction/sell.. An old lady that brings her late husband's coins to the shop is never going to have the resources or ability... The shop probably loses another 20-25% to fees, time, cost of doing business so on and so forth.

GOOD STUFF WARDSTER!!! Post close ups :)

OP
OP
W

Wardster

Dec 21, 2006
Kingston, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Here are a few close ups - keep in mind that these books are sealed and probably have been since the 1960's. If any of the other dates interests anyone, then please let me know and I will post them.

-Wardster

Attachments

• 1916D - Front.JPG
    1916D - Front.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 1916D - Back.JPG
    1916D - Back.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 1942 over 1 - Front.JPG
    1942 over 1 - Front.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 102

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Nice set! The 16-D looks to be about a G6, possible G4. Now the obverse looks to be about a VG8, but the wear around the lettering may keep it from getting an overall VG8. From my past experiences, PCGS is (or at least was), a little more generous on grading these than NGC. I'd say check eBay completed auctions for NGC or PCGS coins graded G4 through VG8 and you should get a better idea on what yours will fall in for each company. You will also get a feel for what it's worth. Based on the pics, it should slab no problem (assuming it's real of course).

The 42/1 is a higher grade, but I not as familiar with that variety, so I don't have anything to add.

Nice coins!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , I didn't realize what a key the 42/41 was - That's as good or better value than the 1916-D ! Very Nice .

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Wonderful for your family! :icon_flower::blob3::icon_flower:

Hope you keep it intact and in the family. But if not, my advice is to keep everything intact just as it is anyway! That way, if you or mom decide to sell at a trusted online auction or some other way, the buyer may pay a LOT more for the intact dime collection INCLUDING the rare ones! Take the rare ones out and probably get less for them and less for the rest. I have no knowledge of buying and selling coins, just my common sense screaming at me that you should keep them ALL together! Also, your grandpa probably could tell the difference between a rare dime and a counterfeit of that dime! My bet is no counterfeits in his collection.

:notworthy: Thanks so much for posting this, including the wonderful buildup to how you mom pulled the dime books out after you and she had sorted out the rest of the items.:notworthy: Adios for now! Andi

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, I hope you never sell anything from that. I wouldn't get anything slabbed or take anything out that could get damaged. Just me, what I would do.

They are yours to do what you want.
Very cool

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome to have 1 complete set but 2 wow.
IMO Unless your starving I'd Keep them Both In Complete condition.
Then pass them along , The only thing I or a Coin Dealer Will do Is Slab the Key & Semi Key Dates sell the higher grade ones as singles then sell the rest as junk.
To me that would be an offense to your Grand Farther's Effort & Memory.
but
Then again He may likely say "Do with them as you wish" as in the end "You can not take them with you."
At Least keep the best of the 2, not to mention I assume there are many other nice Coins in your collection.

As a Hoarder this is only my opinion.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread