Mercury where to dispose

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AM2s with groundhog duel coils both cranked up , Garrett ace 250 , Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know someone whom has mercury that was obtained from a tactical gunsmiths cage that is being closed. I would guess about 2 ltrs of it. This is unused clean mercury . I have for years compiled materials and everything I would need for my treasure hunting and will not need the mercury . It is located in Maryland in a facility closed to the public and I was wondering where or whom to take it to for disposal OR if anyone here uses that process to collect gold as if they can prove stability and history working with it they could just have it. No questionable parties need inquire as it will be coming from a retired federal agent D.O.D F.L.E . whom will check and make sure its going to a party whom already has access and uses such materials .It is the pure clean and never has been used and is what the cage uses to straighten out class 3 tactial weapons barrels. Or if anyone can point me to the direction where I can have it disposed of properly . Its the exact same thing used to collect gold dust and is why i had them hold it back for me and not ship it out .I have no use for it .I already checked the armory and they do not deal with it. Any intel of proper safe disposal or secured safe transfer would be great .Thank you

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't mind waiting for the right buyer to come along, that amount of mercury could net you a pretty penny!

Look up "mercury for sale" or "where to buy mercury" on your favorite search engine and you'll see what I mean. It's entirely possible that for that amount, you might even be able to sell it to one of those places....just not for full price! :tongue3:

Likewise, if you're not worried about money, you might consider checking out some high school and college labs in your area and seeing if they would be willing to take some off your hands. I doubt any school would want the full amount, but you never know. If they don't, I'd try to find other schools to take the rest.

And finally, there ARE still folks who use mercury (responsibly!) in their mining operations. You could also look on gold mining forums and make posts (such as this one), and maybe someone would be willing to buy up what you have.

Lastly, look up what shipping regulations are for mercury. Not sure, but don't think you can send it USPS (but I could be wrong!). In any case, I "think" it has to be labeled on the box - some sort of hazardous material notation or something.

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AM2s with groundhog duel coils both cranked up , Garrett ace 250 , Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never thought of schools that is a great Idea > yes I started to look at shipping regualations and for the headache it was not worth it. No moneys not the issue on that stuff but responsibility is . great Idea thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread