MESH SIZE QUESTION.....

mattisdell1983

Mar 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys just a quick question. I have a royal 30" stream sluice box and I went to my local shop today to buy a classifier screen for a 5 gallon bucket. The guy said to just classify to 8 mesh. Is this about right? or should I clasify down smaller? Up here in northern california(Almost in oregon) we seem to have alot of fine gold. thanks alot in advance, Matt

walldo

Jun 18, 2012
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Mine lab x terra 305
My sluice seems to handle 1/2 to 1/4 just fine, 1/8 would be a lot of extra work. If you classify that small you lose a lot of time processing.
I new to this , but have found the more raw material you run the more chances of finding the yellow stuff.

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if you have good water flow just do 1/2'' you can fill a bucket pretty fast.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using the 8 mesh you will have a better chance at retaining the fine gold than if you use 4 mesh. Larger gravels require faster flow and knock smaller gold loose in the sluice.
If the gold in the paydirt is less than 8 mesh then run 8 mesh. If the gold is smaller than 16 mesh then use 16 mesh. The closer to the gold size the better.

GG~

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GG makes a good point, which is remove as much gravel as possible but remember, as you go down to and below #8, you must be able to look the gravel over for the occassional nugget that may be thrown out. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread