tech125

May 11, 2010
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Message from potential buyer regarding local pickup only for CRT monitor SOLD

I received this message from a potential ebay buyer regarding local pickup only of a 17" Dell
CRT monitor that I prefer not to ship due to the large size. How would you handle/respond to
this email? I realize that I may have lost a sale by not offering shipping on this item but that is my preference and would prefer to find a local buyer to pick it up.

Email through ebay messaging:

"I see you were ready to remove this unit from the box, unpack and test it, and presumably properly repack it into the box but you are not ready to spend the time and effort to ship it. That leaves me out."

Thank You....

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why respond at all?

If I have an item I don't want to ship, I find craigslist a much better venue for selling than ebay.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Agreed. Is there any logical reason to respond to a rude jerk ? I will disagree though about craigslist over Ebay. I had a 1956 Chevrolet truck engine listed on craigslist for the past 6 months. Also listed it on the Jalopy Journal hot rod forum. Had it supposedly sold at least 4 times to local people who ended up dropping the ball. One guy from the hotrod forum I hang out on said he would take it but he was a couple hundred miles away and I held it for 3 months on his word that he would come get it as soon as he had a day off. ALL a huge waste of time. So I put it on Ebay "local pickup only" with the condition that the winning bidder had to pay immediately via Paypal and then I would hold it a reasonable amount of time pending pickup. It sold the first time around for what I wanted and the guy picked it up 4 days later.

Last edited:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO...that doesnt sound like a person I would like to sell to...just looking for an excuse to whine..look
-they havent bought anything yet they have found an excuse to complain, where most people would have just kept on stepping. Like Gib sez-dont respond, If he was truly an interested buyer he would have made the proper arrangements...thx..ddf

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had similar emails. But what bothers me is if he really wanted it he should have written. Hey are you sure you can't ship this?? I block people that start off a conversation like that.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not think twice about it and forget it ….Just another Ebay pain in the a$$ jerk .. My self i just do not pay any attention to things like that…..

OP
OP
tech125

tech125

May 11, 2010
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the support. I sent a one word reply, "sorry". Id rather not do business with someone like that.
I might have shipped it if someone sent a nice email explaining why they really needed it, but they might
change their mind after after they learn how much $$ they have to pay for shipping...

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the more important question is: How much are you selling a CRT monitor for and why on earth would someone actually want to buy it?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the more important question is: How much are you selling a CRT monitor for and why on earth would someone actually want to buy it?
I was wondering the same thing. CRT monitors are like VHS tapes, dinosaurs of a bygone era.

I would immediately add that jerk off to my blocked buyers list regardless. Not someone I would want to do business with.

OP
OP
tech125

tech125

May 11, 2010
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I answered a craigslist ad for a free brand new dell 17" monitor from a guy who was moving. It was fairly close
to where I live so I have almost nothing invested. I listed the monitor for $30. Yes I know it's a hard sell for a CRT but maybe someone wants it...

New in Box Black 17" Dell CRT SVGA Color Monitor E773S | eBay
Makes sense. I see you put a shipping price on it now too. Anytime you can sell something that you got for free, makes for a win win all the time.

OP
OP
tech125

tech125

May 11, 2010
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digg, that is not my auction, rather one just like it that sold recently.

Here is my listing...

Last edited:
OP
OP
tech125

tech125

May 11, 2010
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got a bid on the CRT monitor, only took me 14 days....will let you know how it went for the local pickup
in a few days...

New in Box Black 17" Dell CRT SVGA Color Monitor E773C 632863332334 | eBay

Update:

Buyer lives 143 miles from my area,Payment received!!!

A very nice gentleman picked up the monitor on 5/5, he was very happy and asked
if I had any more units as he loved the older style crt's....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions