Met some people and this is what they dig in Europe.

netotine

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2010
Orange NY

Attachments

• jesien4.jpg
    jesien4.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,990
  • jesien3.jpg
    jesien3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,987
  • jesien2.jpg
    jesien2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,986
  • jesien.jpg
    jesien.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,998
  • jesien5.jpg
    jesien5.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,998
Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

netotine

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2010
Orange NY
CoilFisher said:
whats with the goofy faces?

They want to protect their identities, and they are much better in metal detecting all those bombs, then in using photoshop :) Law in Europe is very strict about second war relics. At the end they did notify police about all this.

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Ok it's cool but still looks very dangerous.
If they have no professionals (army, military) among them (and even then...) any hunt could end with a big bang...

The law is not strict about war relics in general. It's the fact that over here we treat battlefields as (possible) military graveyards, because of the thousands of dead that still lay in the trenches and bomb craters they died in and the shalllow graves dug in a hurry that the WWs brought with them.
So any dig for old weapons and equipment may unearth at any time the remains of such people and could be in fact considered graverobbing.
Aside from all that, thousands of live rounds, bombs and mines are still scattered across Europe and many of them are still very dangerous...

deano

Oct 25, 2008
sioux city ,iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus 2, Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 900, Nokta Makro Legend, Nokta Makro Simplex
I think I;ll stick to coin shooting!!!! :o

rebeljim52

Sep 20, 2009
Silverstreet SC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000 and used XLT E
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are brave i don't think i would dig up live shells.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that's some history.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yaxthri said:
If they have no professionals (army, military) among them (and even then...) any hunt could end with a big bang...

The law is not strict about war relics in general. It's the fact that over here we treat battlefields as (possible) military graveyards, because of the thousands of dead that still lay in the trenches and bomb craters they died in and the shalllow graves dug in a hurry that the WWs brought with them.
So any dig for old weapons and equipment may unearth at any time the remains of such people and could be in fact considered graverobbing.
Aside from all that, thousands of live rounds, bombs and mines are still scattered across Europe and many of them are still very dangerous...

Exactly right. Something I would never do & have no interest in.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I say good for them, any place you dig that might be colonial could have graves on it. I like seeing WWII relics and I hope they remain safe. cannonballs can have black powder in them and still explode after hundreds of years, people hear dig on civil war battlefields all the time. I wish them the same safe wishes as well. thank you for sharing your finds on treasurenet and may you do so many more times.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wwwtimmcp said:
I say good for them, any place you dig that might be colonial could have graves on it. I like seeing WWII relics and I hope they remain safe. cannonballs can have black powder in them and still explode after hundreds of years, people hear dig on civil war battlefields all the time. I wish them the same safe wishes as well. thank you for sharing your finds on treasurenet and may you do so many more times.
You say good for them without understanding what country they are in, what Laws they maybe breaking, & faces covered ::)
Somethings, like Military & Maritime graves should be treated respectfully, this would require a hint of professionalism, not some mickey mouse photoshop.

Its different from the example you gave, I might do a Saxon grave in a ploughed field (unknowingly), but if I ever found bones, I would be duty bound to report it.
I don't believe the story about them telling the police, as they would take it all off them.

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd risk being blown to bits to be able to find stuff like that. A quick to go and I'd die happy. And finding remains that can be repatriated means some healing for the families. As a big WWII reader I would love to touch WWII history & do some of that digging, something all but impossible in most of the US.

Salute to the victims of war that didn't make it home. :icon_salut:
Born Free

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born Free said:
I'd risk being blown to bits to be able to find stuff like that. A quick to go and I'd die happy. And finding remains that can be repatriated means some healing for the families. As a big WWII reader I would love to touch WWII history & do some of that digging, something all but impossible in most of the US.

Born Free

You actually think these people were interested in repatriating the bones ::)

They are not pictured in a way that would suggest they have the interest of the families at heart. If they were; the hole would be dug different, the recording material would be visible, the clothes would be different, their faces would not be covered, so on...

OP
OP
N

netotine

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2010
Orange NY
yaxthri said:

The law in all post soviet countries are very strict about WWII relics (except for Czech Republic), you can not even take live ammunition home from your findings, not to mention any mines, grenades, old rifles . I am not sure why you said "grave robbing", most of the people I met in Europe have high moral culture and they would not dig if they found some grave or any human remains. You right that people were killed in places like that from this picture, but in reality most of them were picked up by army, or locals and burred in marked graves. Of course like in all world, they are people that would not think about not disturbing death and they would keep digging no matter what, but this is not what those guys are about, they just found some old trench full of weapons and had some fun recovering. As for me that would be to dangerous to recover explosives, besides many of them are very tricky, like for example old land mines, some of them look exactly like army ammunition boxes and have mechanical triggers installed inside, any attempt to open it sets the mine active.

OP
OP
N

netotine

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2010
Orange NY
wwwtimmcp said:

You are exactly right. There is a big chance that on any field bit deeper then our coils can detect it might be a grave, and metal detecting those fields does not make us grave diggers. This is the story about some young boys, digging all those weapons and probably they would tell this story even to their grand children. Thanks for your optimistic post :)

OP
OP
N

netotine

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2010
Orange NY
CRUSADER said:
wwwtimmcp said:
You say good for them without understanding what country they are in, what Laws they maybe breaking, & faces covered ::)
Somethings, like Military & Maritime graves should be treated respectfully, this would require a hint of professionalism, not some mickey mouse photoshop.

Its different from the example you gave, I might do a Saxon grave in a ploughed field (unknowingly), but if I ever found bones, I would be duty bound to report it.
I don't believe the story about them telling the police, as they would take it all off them.

I think you are missing the point, they were no graves there, and I have no clue why you are thinking that they would disturb death. You have to believe that they called police, and all those weapons were picked up and destroyed. I agree with you, that this is our duty to report any grave. But once again they were no graves there :) As for covered faces, not all people choose to post their faces on the net, and I do not think this is wrong.

OP
OP
N

netotine

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2010
Orange NY
Born Free said:

Born Free

The very first time I found grenades it scared Jesus out of me, and if I was not with a friend who knew better, I am not sure what would happened. I hope you are not serious about risking to be blown to bits :)
They are great stories about people finding graves, or various objects that helped with identification of WWII victims, and this is the way it should be.

OP
OP
N

netotine

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2010
Orange NY
You actually think these people were interested in repatriating the bones ::)

They are not pictured in a way that would suggest they have the interest of the families at heart. If they were; the hole would be dug different, the recording material would be visible, the clothes would be different, their faces would not be covered, so on...

Once again :) they were no graves there :) Why people think instantly of graves?
If they belonged to some archaeological society you are right, they would have different clothes and small brushes in their hands and it would take them months to dig all that metal.
I would not go as far as making suggestion or judging they hearts based on clothes and covered faces :)

misplacedrednek

Aug 20, 2006
Temple, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a live grenade in Germany while I was stationed there...... I dug the hole another foot+ deeper and put it back. I'll take pull tabs and clad any day. Sweet finds though.

Matt

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like some hazardous duty.
Love that little bomb :o
I kept a Misfired 37mm hotchkiss shrapnel round out in my garage for a year before I disassembled it. (turned out empty of explosive, recovered from saltwater :D )

Not sure how I would handle that bomb.... ::)
thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions