Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Met the cops tonight. Apparently the neighbors think I'm a hoodlum

I scored a great permission tonight at the site of two former churches (both on the same lot) built in the late 1700s and torn (burned) down by 1831. I'm going to hit it next week, but that conversation took longer than I anticipated, so my park hunt the next county over didn't happen due to the shortening daylight. I went door knocking instead, and found a house for sale that was vacant so I stopped at a few neighbors' houses to track down the owner. Eventually got a number and called the guy but nobody answered so I went to my "last resort" park site down the road. While I was working that area I got a call back from the owner and he gave me permission (while I was talking to him the cops drove past actually so I was able to further my case with "well, I'm here in the park and the cops just drove past without stopping so take that as proof I'm not going to make a mess of your yard"). Turns out the house has been on the market for almost a year but they have a potential buyer working on financing right now so I was told that if I was going to go, to do it ASAP before the deal went through. I only had about 30 minutes of daylight left, so I went back up to the house and got at it.

It has some great potential I think, but around 9:00 I was finishing up and just about ready to go back to my truck when I saw a cop car parked behind me. I haven't had this happen before, so I was curious as to how it would go. He was cool about it though and didn't even take me up on my offer to get him the owner's number so he could verify what I told him. Turns out one of the neighbors called on me... I left then because it was dark, but he told me I could stay as long as I wanted since I had permission and he would just tell anyone else who called that it was cool. I'm going back on Sunday, so I did give him a heads-up on that! Had a long discussion with him about detecting though because I guess another one of his friends does it and it's something he's wanted to get into....nice guy!

Anyway...pulled a nice looking buffalo after about 15 minutes so I'm sure there's more there!

Attachments

• buffalo 3.jpeg
    buffalo 3.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 237
Upvote 25

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was nice of him. I've not been visited by the police in almost a year, but I've not had problems anytime they came by. You could call yourself a "Dirt Digging Rebel" instead of a hoodlum, lol.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The '26 dog tag is probably worth quite a bit more than any silver you might have dug at the site! Please post a pic. :thumbsup:

I can't imagine the tag would be worth anything, but it is in good shape.

Attachments

• CAM00437.jpg
    CAM00437.jpg
    590.8 KB · Views: 44

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't imagine the tag would be worth anything, but it is in good shape.

Very nice looking dog tax tag. I think you'd be surprised at how much a fancy older tag like that would fetch. There is a guy here that catalogs them per town in the US for a book. His screen name is oddcoins. I just found a 1923 for my town and he told me it was the oldest reported. Drop him a PM and I'm sure he can also provide info on conductibility etc. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice looking dog tax tag. I think you'd be surprised at how much a fancy older tag like that would fetch. There is a guy here that catalogs them per town in the US for a book. His screen name is oddcoins. I just found a 1923 for my town and he told me it was the oldest reported. Drop him a PM and I'm sure he can also provide info on conductibility etc. :thumbsup:

Interesting. I'll have to pull out my other ones because I know I have some older than this. Thanks!

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a busy day , that paid off,,, the last cop encounter i had was him thanking me for cleaning up the broken glass off the tot lot

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Buffalo with a date

Top Member Reactions