Met the newbies!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Those two kids who took Dad's BH out for a spin and wound up with a '44 Walker first time out, with help from Skates. They saw us this morning and came running over, carrying their "bigger than them" fence post shovel.

I decided to get in on the karma thing and gave them one of my Wilcox diggers as a starter tool. I dunno, think they're hooked? Well if you found a Walker first time out I'm thinking it would be all sewed up.

So we talked, I advised them to hit all the totlots they could, early morning weekends, before the "kids" showed up. Told them of the nearby hill where I was a frequent sledder back in the days just after clad, when silver still fell freely, albeit sparingly from pockets.

Well call me slow. They were mainly interested in nearby Civil War sites. I guess if you start out on the run, you can skip the learning to walk routine. I am so old.....

But hey, if you guys make to TNet as I suggested, here's a couple of my old Elgin finds so you know they're out there!

Attachments

• pinheel.gif
    pinheel.gif
    63.7 KB · Views: 113
  • illcollarpin.gif
    illcollarpin.gif
    38.4 KB · Views: 192
  • button1.gif
    button1.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 125
  • pinheel.gif
    pinheel.gif
    63.7 KB · Views: 106
  • illcollarpin.gif
    illcollarpin.gif
    38.4 KB · Views: 169

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, metal detectors can be a "Pied Piper" magnet for sure :D

If those kids start finding more cool stuff. . . like that Walker,
we may have to start following THEM around. . . then they'll
probably tell us to go hit a tot lot :tongue3:

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow - sounds like you guys have been schooled!
By the students!

This brings to mind some of those positive affirmation sayings like,
"Sing like no one's listening"
"Dance like no one's watching"
and now we have
"Metal detect like everything's treasure"

I got out only for an hour and a half today - went back to see how the house painting was going.
I mean I went looking for more seateds... yeah that's what I did.
I'll have to leave most of the description for off line but two words sums it up.
Daisy Dukes.
As far as what else I found, mem cents, a nickel, can slaw, and a token probably from Brunswick zone - haven't cleaned it off yet.

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Giving them one of your Wilcox diggers was a great idea Tim. How bad did the park look
since you were there last? If you send them down to the creek they might create a new
lake for the neighborhood.

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Dirt fishing Wolf said:
Giving them one of your Wilcox diggers was a great idea Tim. How bad did the park look
since you were there last? If you send them down to the creek they might create a new
lake for the neighborhood.

They've actually left well-enough alone and apparently are good at recovery. I pulled some nested mason jar lids out of there at 12+ inches yesterday, but didn't note any trenches or mounds from the tykes. If I thought I couldget away with it, I'd tell them diccing new channels for the creek is a sure-fire way to treasure. I think my best day down there a long time ago was good for 5 mercs along the smaller creek bank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread