Met the perfect Doofuss today in a pawn shop.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
I was out today prowling around looking for deals. I had a bag of silver with me in case I found something I had to have. In this one shop I found a couple of handguns I might add to my stable if the price was right. I offered up the bag of silver and the doofuss dumped out the halves and started stacking and counting. He offered me 80 cents a piece for my 40% halves. Boy was I tempted at his generous offer. He then proceded to tell me that it is very difficult to drill out the center of the halves which is where the silver is located. It took a large "cherry-picker" to get me off the floor. Needless to say I left with my bag of silver.
Take care out there, Jim

Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn, Im Going to Get In trouble For this Response!!!

To Bad you didn't have A gun on you then You Could Have Stopped Stupid In Its Tracks Chug

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least they didn't tell you silver is at 10$ an ounce and 30$ is the Boston price. But pawn shops are almost always a place I avoid. Lol 30 cent gain though, guess I'll just start drilling my 40%.

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
I live in Texas, my 4 year old granddaughter carries a gun. Where I live, everyone that works in a pawn shop has their handgun proudly displayed on their hip in a nice fast draw holster. I was out-gunned but not out-smarted. Jim

georgiajeff

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2012
Columbus, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garratt 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out today prowling around looking for deals. I had a bag of silver with me in case I found something I had to have. In this one shop I found a couple of handguns I might add to my stable if the price was right. I offered up the bag of silver and the doofuss dumped out the halves and started stacking and counting. He offered me 80 cents a piece for my 40% halves. Boy was I tempted at his generous offer. He then proceded to tell me that it is very difficult to drill out the center of the halves which is where the silver is located. It took a large "cherry-picker" to get me off the floor. Needless to say I left with my bag of silver.
Take care out there, Jim

Can you really drill the silver out? I thought you had to squeeze it out?

greatwhitetailhorns

Jun 5, 2012
I got a good one I had a 61 piece sterling silver flatware set. Took it to a new pawn shop in town and guess what they told me. Well there's is not enough silver in them to me to make a offer. Marked price was 1700 in scrap. How can u run a business and stay afloat and not know crape.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never understood why they don't just "low ball" a reasonable offer ($2 for a 40% half) then sell them quick below spot in store on on Craigslist ($3 for a 40% half) quick, easy profit.

Enough $$$ to entice someone to sell grandpa's coin collection they inherited but low enough to make quick profit.

US coins are incredibly easy to understand, I suppose I could understand if you were selling, say, Chinese or Arabic coins, but anyone dealing in the Pawn business should know all about US coins.

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much do you guys get for a 40% half . I usually get 10% under milt is that fair?

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Reminds me when Clueless Bank Tellers tell me all coins have silver

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure he has fooled plenty of "good strangers" with his "wisdom"

There certainly are some unsavory types out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread