Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was over in Afghanistan back in 2009 I was an infantry team leader, long range marksman (I carried an m14), as well as a mine sweeper! I had NO IDEA what I was doing....no training at all. My squad leader just threw this thing at me and told me to go clear a path....so here I am doing just that. I didn't know what to listen for so any time it beeped I would just tell my guys not to step there. I did end up finding a handful of 7.62x54R shell casings from a Mosin Nagant...haha so I was treasure hunting Afghanistan! And yes this photo is me:)

ForumRunner_20140907_145742.png

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thank you for your service sir.
I get nervous when I dig an unfired bullet. Can't imagine how you felt sweeping mines?!
Well done!
Peace

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would be the only time I wouldn't want to find a target!

OP
OP
H

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha as I said I had no clue what I was doing out there....so I told the platoon to stay about 25m behind me just in case...the good thing is about 15 minutes after I get done with my 2 meter wide path, a big mine detecting vehicle came along and cleared the whole area...and found nothing...so while I was out there scared to death swinging this ancient metal detector around, there wasn't anything there to hurt me. It was still pretty crazy playing minesweeper for real.

shon michal

Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we should start with New York city. They can remove the building and streets to discover colonial era or native american items buried beneath the city.then you think to go Afghanistan

mouseman60

Jul 9, 2014
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro
I serve in Iraq 2004-05 and I wish I would've had one to use instead of walking around in no man land. Today I'm out and about with an mxt- pro hoping to find something.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Combat metal detecting - BOOM BABY! :laughing7:

Thank you for your service, and I hope you have a little more fun with the hobby from here on in! :occasion14:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
As an ordnance worker in a previous life, I don't think that someone could pay me enough to sweep for mines. My compliments to you. That was not an easy thing to do.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Right on man, thanks for your service.

I got to do a bit of legitimate relic hunting in A - Stan on my final deployment as well... here was my only real "keeper" and a few details... I thought it was cool as hell, and a pretty unique experience.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383789

~Tejaas~

OP
OP
H

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that's really cool that you found that button! I didn't find anything like that, but I did find an old old old iraqi helmet in an abandoned house in the middle of nowhere southern Afghanistan. We think it was used by the Mujahideen back when the Russians were in town. Thanks to all of you for your service!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread