Metal Detecting - An Expensive Hobby?

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Metal detecting is probably the most expensive hobby ever, right?

No, not right! Not at all.

Compare our hobby to bowling, fishing, softball, golf - and folks, it ain't so bad.

In my new podcast, I give you some ammunition for the "You spend too much - get a cheaper hobby" argument.

Here are some numbers to pass on to the little lady (or in some cases, for the little lady to pass on to her significant other) when he/she raises an eyebrow at the cost of "all that metal detector stuff."

Listen at In the Corner with Dan Hughes (treasure).

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or you can compare it to hiking, camping, swimming, handball, paddle ball, table tennis, badminton, volleyball, or a ton of other free activities.

Better go back and recheck your so called ammo :laughing9:

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Or you can compare it to hiking, camping, swimming, handball, paddle ball, table tennis, badminton, volleyball, or a ton of other free activities.

And checkers and tiddly-winks!

Actually, most people wouldn't think of going camping without an RV, and what do they cost now (and how many miles per gallon do they get?). When my daughter was little, we'd take our tent to a campground and invariably end up between two big Winnebagos. Not very pleasant.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
hand print-2_edited-3.jpg Dan, My 21' Xplorer cost $70K and gets 14MPG on the interstate. It is actually my base camp for cache hunting. To each his own!

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Concidering that its one of the few hobbies that you make money doing I think its pretty cheep to be a detectorist. Deffinately cheeper than most hobbies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheap? NO. But at least it often pays you something back and it's great exercise.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real campers call people that camp in RV's girls :laughing9: Seems like your so called camping experiences are tied to camping grounds, that also provide water, bathroom facilities and showers... Again, that's not camping...That is like saying a vacation is getting out of the house and moving into your car and sitting in your driveway for a week :laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Slow Go-1_edited-1.jpg Spart. I never claimed to be a camper. There are two types of people that use RVs. Campers & travelers. I am a traveler type. It is a means to see the USA without any fixed plans. When I travel across the USA I stop for the nite at rest areas, Wallmarts, Flying Js, and Loves etc. When I get to a gold claim I just park there. I have everything I need . Most of my time is spent prospecting, but I have a comfortable foam matress to sleep on, a frig full of food, a bathroom, a kitchen, a TV to keep up with the local news, etc. I can exist in the middle of nowhere for at least 2 weeks. My MH has 4 wheel drive so I can even make it down some of the milder jeep trails. I carry all my detectors and some guns for protection along with my pittbull Blue. I think it's all about how you want to live your life.

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Real campers call people that camp in RV's girls :laughing9: Seems like your so called camping experiences are tied to camping grounds, that also provide water, bathroom facilities and showers... Again, that's not camping...

Well, there's no way my wife could survive 24 hours without the amenities of civilization. Getting her to accept the tent was miracle enough.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Batteries are a huge expense especially if you detect often. It seems that when choosing a detector, it is important to know what kind of batteries it uses and what the battery life is. If your machine uses AA batteries and has 40 hours of operating life, then you are doing ok...However, those 9 volt batteries are a different matter especially if your machine eats 2 of those (like my machine) with only 20 hours of battery life. It can cost a fortune....So it is important to know what kind of batteries and how long they will last is a consideration when money is a factor or you are financially strapped. Batteries have gone up in price lately and rechargeables don't seem to last as long as alkaline on a hunt. Duracell and Energizer of course have the longer battery life but they are not cheap.

Metal detecting can pay for itself...but it can be expensive. By the time you consider your machine, gear , and various other supplies, it can cost you a pretty penny...but of course making that big find will make it all worthwhile. For me, it is about finding history, enjoying the outdoors, exercise, great scenery and the thrill of the hunt. So the expense is worth it. At least I'm not blowing my money gambling or on cigarettes which can also be expensive hobbies.:laughing7:

Last edited:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Concidering that its one of the few hobbies that you make money doing I think its pretty cheep to be a detectorist. Deffinately cheeper than most hobbies.
This is 100 % correct!....Its only expensive if you let be.....I have 400$ into my equipment & my collection is worth 3-4 fold of that ....however I will never sell off my collection as it is very sentimental to me!

Marshallepp

Greenie
Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well im just getting started again into md. so far i have 350.00 bucks tied into it but last time i used a radio shack detector ok but pop-tops would drive you nuts. As far as camping im a custom yurt builder so have yurt will travel. And if any of you guys would like plans for a yurt e-mail me and ill hook you up free of charge of course.

Graddick

Sep 17, 2011
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buying the detector, pinpointer, lesche and a set of rechargeable batteries isn't too bad because they don't degrade after you've made the initial investment (although the batteries do wear out). The real expense of this hobby for me is gas. Driving around the countryside, hoping to drop in on people when they are home is a real pain when gas is $1.35 a litre (that's $5/gallon for you yanks)

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankin,
That is a great description of RVer types, never thought about it like that. I can certinally appreciate having some comforts after a day of moving rocks and of course that is why my backpacks always weigh so much. Thinking about seeing the U.S.A. with no particular plan in mind is a cool thought as well. Not all folks are suited for backpacking so I figure that applys to all sorts of other types of getting out of the four walls.

Keep traveling and enjoying..........63bkpkr

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got another hobby that costs a LOT more. One gallon of bottom paint costs $219!

img014.jpg

Costs $2,000 just to tie it to the dock for the season.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Expensive is in the eye of the wallet holder. Five thousand dollars to me might seem like ten thousand dollars to someone else. Anyone can buy a hundred dollar detector and take up the hobby, which I think is dirt cheap. But a lot of those anyones just might think that a hundred skins is too damn expensive.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
300MH.jpg Charlie P . That is one good looking yacht. It looks bigger than my motorhome. Your destinations are limited, but the wind is free. Enjoy it! Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread