E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That sounds hokey to me! Admittedly, I don't have the real answer though.. You might go online and see if anything is posted there. You may even see if there is somebody else that can answer the question. Last time I called a municipality about detecting, the first person I got had no idea what I was talking about! Literally I had to explain what metal detecting was! She was nice though and sent me to a person who promptly told me 'NO'...but she was WRONG! Finally I got hold of a person who knew what I was talking about and told me that there were some off limits places and what they were, then chuckled a little and said I could go to the other places as long as I didn't tear the ground up and leave a mess. I made sure to write down that person's name, but even so, I didn't go where I knew I wasn't supposed to!

As much as we hate to be too specific and even MENTION digging, if they have a general notion that you're looking for something in the ground, they may just be under the impression that you're planning on using EQUIPMENT to do that digging, not just a hand trowel! It's hard to strike a balance between saying too much and making sure the person understands exactly what your intentions are. Keep in mind also that if they don't know what the real answer is, they may just say 'no' to get rid of you! It seems like the permissions end up being a small research project of thier own..

OP
OP
TejasDigger

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Thanks, I know what you mean about asking for permission the wrong way. I called the ISD for another city and asked for permission. They told me no and when I asked who said that they said the maintenance man. I laughed and hung up. I emailed the superintendent and asked if metal detecting was illegal on school property and he told me he couldn't think of a reason to deny my request, he just said don't do it while kids are in class.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I am new to the trade, but I can speak to the school issue since I am an assistant principal in a Texas high school. The main issue is safety. Any adults around a school is suspect and I would ask anyone I saw on school property--for the kids sake. After hours, as the sup suggested, is the same at my school--meaning its a-okay. We have, for example, motorcycle classes on Saturday's so there is always folks on the weekends.

I plan on going underneath our bleachers soon to do some detecting--after I ask my sup!

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect the schools all around DFW and never had a problem.

I need to mention that I only detect the schools early on Sunday morning and bring an extra cup to share my thermos of coffee with the ISD security guard that always shows up.

Must be the camera's around the school or they are on some type of schedule cause shortly after I get there they show up :icon_pirat:

urbanminer

May 21, 2007
Heart of Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre,Cutlass, Vaquero
Whites and B Hunter LandStar
I also MD at the local schools. I have only gone on these particular outings afterhours or on weekends. While I have been approached many times by staff, teachers, district security ( he is in a marked truck) even the police, no one has ever indicated to me that schools were off limits. After your post maybe permission from the principals at each school might be a good idea. I think a phone call to the school would garner a 'who cares' response. Then again it's easier to get forgiveness...... than it is to get permission.

smugpot

Dec 24, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster III
i agree Schools are for sunday and Church's are for Saturday
burn out home,s on the weekdays or parks

Dardego

Greenie
Jun 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting all schools in Fort Worth for over 30 years, without ever having a problem. After all ,it is public property.

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its only illegal when you get asked to leave is my motto LOL

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the rich kids high schools. Damn nice bling they lose.

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically, the school attorney is correct. 'Found' stuff is the property of the property owner, the ISD, and until someone claims it as their property, the property owner owns it. After a set number of says the ISD hen by law has to auction it off as 'excess or property'. I hunt our local school all the time and I stop by the ISD police office, check in with them as to legality, and give them my ID, and ph # and go about my business. But I never go out on the grass areas with a shovel! It really doesn't look that good! I only go there on weekends, holidays, etc..

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow, this is an old post..lol...I was gonna say..Tejasdigger has since learned...Not to ask people that do not know what they are talking about....we have hunted numerous schools and never had issues

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asking by phone or in person is risky as you never know what agenda the person you are talking with has or what knowledge they have or if they are guessing. Be nice, dress neatly and cleanly, use small digger tools, dig proper plugs, carry and use a cloth for any dirt dug out of your target hole and when you've finished putting it all back together it should look like it did before you dug and the grass should not die. Being polite and dressing neatly goes a long way towards a persons first opinion of US. Good hunting!..........................63bkpkr

Dominicdx

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'll I was wondering if anyone could help find a ring in a local park? I don't have a metal detector but thinking of getting one

manorman

Dec 8, 2008
in Texas school Districts are a separate political entity, like the Round Rock ISD property can have different rules then the city of Round Rock property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread