Metal Detecting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If your wife's name was Stephanie, she might have been a bit happier. But you ain't gunna get rich doing this!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I dunno- I see some guys who get a handful of gold about every time they go out.

You just got to search the right areas I would imagine...

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's like my wife. LOL "Your talking about Gold Hunting again?" And if I hit good, like really good, it will be "How much are we giving to the kids?" LOL None of them want to go out with me. I guess it is too much like work.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just don't think it'd be as much fun if I had to, but it's sure a blast every time I choose to. :headbang:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never gave up my day job but I've had more fun detecting than Liz Taylor has in a Jewelry store using Richard Burton's credit card.:laughing7:
Marvin

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the hunt is the fun part, any cash value is icing

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know I would be weighting a lot less if I had to depend on my dirt fishing abilities (skills) - anyway I not quitting my day job.

Texas ED

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always knew that as retirement age approached that it would be beneficial to have a couple of enjoyable hobbies to fill in some time.......
Well, retirement isn't in the picture in this economy. Now, it's a challenge to find the time to enjoy my hobbies!!!! :BangHead::laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Financial success via metal detecting has to do with 3 things: Location, Patience, and communicating well with your detector -- none of which I have. :tongue3:

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
That's like my wife. LOL "Your talking about Gold Hunting again?" And if I hit good, like really good, it will be "How much are we giving to the kids?" LOL None of them want to go out with me. I guess it is too much like work.

Same here. They can have it after I'm dead (don't worry, I won't tell them that cuz it might expedite my earthly departure. :) )

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I triumphantly marched into the house last night with a handful of clad and a STUNNING pot-metal ring with 'Stephanie' engraved on it, I thought for sure my wife would be on board.... Boy was I wrong! :icon_scratch:

Women......

Women, for the most part, like folding money. It's clean and practical, and I'm guessing your wife's name is NOT Stefanie.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm retired now living on the dole. I'm getting out swinging now, after years and years of heavy & sometimes monstrous working hours. I'll never make a living swinging a detector, but that doesn't matter. Just digging a clad quarter versus a zincoln is a delight. I'm enjoying the simple pleasures.

I was blessed with my first wife, we'd be going somewhere and she'd say "Aren't you going to take your detector?"

And in return I always gave her the gold rings.

Life is finally good, versus brutal :)

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at Patong Beach in Thailand and met an American that lived there and that was his job, he metal detected and when rent was due he would sell one of the rings to cover it. He had tons of jewelry on him and I was there one night on the beach and saw him scoop up a few 24k pieces in the surf. He told me not to get any ideas, that was his beach. lol

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I dunno- I see some guys who get a handful of gold about every time they go out.
You just got to search the right areas I would imagine...

I haven't found a gold ring since '88 (I think). So, I'm coming up on 30 years since I felt that mellow delight. And when I hit the water the other day, my buddy Steve's first find was a 14k gold ring.

My day will come, but I've never really been the very lucky sort of fellow, never won a football pool, quit doing the Lotto, and don't play poker anymore. I just enjoy the time I spend out doing it.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't get out detecting as much as i'd like too, life gets in the way, body parts won't cooperate....its still cheaper than therapy!

You will find gold at some point, it cannot elude you forever...there are laws against that! The laws of average!

While i was detecting the beach, my husband thought it was funny to walk by and yell "GOLD!! GOLD!!"
Then everybody states at me!

There are and have been people that make a living treasure hunting, but there are quite a few things factored into that.

KMV's sage advice, Don't quit your day job, for two reasons, One: You'll need it for cover if your successful. Two: You'll need it if you're not.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't found a gold ring since '88 (I think). So, I'm coming up on 30 years since I felt that mellow delight. And when I hit the water the other day, my buddy Steve's first find was a 14k gold ring.

My day will come, but I've never really been the very lucky sort of fellow, never won a football pool, quit doing the Lotto, and don't play poker anymore. I just enjoy the time I spend out doing it.

Then let me say that We'RE the lucky ones.....for having this chance to know you. :love4:

...And no, we ain't gonna be swapping no spit in the showers, either! :munky2:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm retired now living on the dole. I'm getting out swinging now, after years and years of heavy & sometimes monstrous working hours. I'll never make a living swinging a detector, but that doesn't matter. Just digging a clad quarter versus a zincoln is a delight. I'm enjoying the simple pleasures.

I was blessed with my first wife, we'd be going somewhere and she'd say "Aren't you going to take your detector?"

And in return I always gave her the gold rings.

Life is finally good, versus brutal :)

Amen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread