Metal Detecting banned on DNR lands, part II

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I am going to try to type this without loosing my cool....

As just about everyone in the continental U.S. heard, last summer lake delton washed out into the Wisconsin river. I live literally a few miles from lake delton, and I am one of the very few detectorists in the immediate area. However, the washout of this very popular tourist playground brought detectorists from all over the country. I met people from as far away as Georgia. All well and good, there was a lot of lake to cover, and it was neat to meet people that shared the hobby. However....

There were A LOT of people that were new to the hobby, and a lot of people that acted like they were new to the hobby. I saw so many unfilled holes it was disgusting, and the best explanation that I got when I brought this up to people was that they had the right to be there and therefore didn't have to fill their holes. I was flabbergasted. I was....I am......at a loss for words. You see, the people that were getting angry are the people that pay some of the largest tax amounts in the state, when they call up their senator and say they want detecting banned, it gets banned. This article is not speculation, I am a business owner in the area and I know a few of the people that got mad and took action, I just really hoped it wouldn't go this far.

I will say that I personally met noone from treasure net on the lakebed, though many knew of the site, and admitted to lurking. So, to those that are reading this(and are at fault), and you know who you are.....if you are not from Wisconsin, please if you ever come back, bring some D-mn respect, and leave your detector at home, nobody wants you vandalizing their property. If you are from Wisconsin, go ahead and hang up your detector, because no amount of "treasure" that you dig up could ever make up for what you have cost all of us. I am honestly hurt that anyone could be this selfish, and that not kicking some sand back in a hole could be that important a statement for someone to make.

So, to those that are responsible, I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks in Ruining, and or seriously damaging what could have been a great 2009 season, you have permanently cast an indellible shadow on our hobby.

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said Goldfish....This type or legislation (for lack of better words) is going to have a negative effect for detectorist's & dealers for a long time .Hopefully it won't go unnoticed by hobbyist' such as you & I it makes my blood boil to hear this & I dont live inWisc. but spend my money & time there.

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
For future reference. If I was in that position I would have told them to leave. If they didn't I would call the police myself. Explaining my position to the police of course. Or just call the police and do not tell them. People with that attirude put a real hurt on this hobby.

Many years ago I spotted someone hunting at a school. On approaching him I could see his digging was less then admirable. As evidenced by the damaged spots I could easily see all over theplace. The short story..He told me that he wasn't from around here so he didn't care. I informed that I was from around here and if he didn't leave I would call the police. He said go ahead he would be gone before the police got there. I pointed to a guy by the school building and told him I knew the guy was the head groundskeeper and would he like me to go speak with him. Have no idea who the guy by the school was but it worked. He left.

Moral of the story. I should not have done that. I should have just left without telling him I would call the police and then called them. This idiot probably just went to the next school or park and trashed it, and the next and the next. I will always talk to them as they may be new or uninformed and will take your advice and help. For those who do not I have no sympathy for. They can pay the price for their arrogance and for screwing up my hobby.

Mark S.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up there a bunch of days, and didn't see anyone doing this.

However, it only takes one............

Not only that, unless you have a proper attitude (keeping in mind that these people just lost their lake, their property values, in many cases their livings), detectorists must have seemed like ghouls, finding things on other's misfortunes. For myself, I gathered all the garbage I could find and took it out to a main place for disposal. Much better than a pocket full of clads.

I did see gawkers trespassing and littering, but no detectorists doing that.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good post,now how about those pics?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread