Metal detecting dog

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
last Saturday myself and two friends hit a few private sites to detect. The last was a farm house built in 1802. We spoke with the owner, started to hunt and the owners chocolate lab Jack a year old pup wouldn't leave me alone. I would find a target start to dig and the dog would jump in and dig like mad, was great to have him do it he actually made it easier on me.
One of the guys with me Craig dug a plug and Jack grabbed it and took off but it had the coin in it, again his antics made us laugh. The story turns a little sour though. Jack is playing tug of war with my pouch towel and takes off running to Craig who I see dropping all his gear, jumping in the air, flailing his arms and swatting with his hat. Craig had stumbled upon a bore bee nest, he is highly allergic to bee stings, carries an epi pen and one large bee won't stop going after craigs head. Just as the bee circles to craigs back for a head shot good little jack runs in jumps in the air,chomps down on that bee, gets stung in the mouth but kills the bee possibly saving my friends life.
I gathered my friends stuff near the nest since im not allergic and we got far away from the spot. Poor little jack took one for the team and was in some pain but he had already made for a good dog digging my finds for me but made a great dog saving a friend. I plan on going back soon and jack will be rewarded plenty, maybe a few McDonald'shamburgers. Jack helped me dig up a Kennedy half dollar and im thinking of attaching it to his collar since it was his first find, make for an interesting conversation piece.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does "wasting him" mean?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not too sure he would be an asset in a park setting when you're trying to cut a nice clean 3 sided plug! :laughing7:

crbub

Jun 23, 2013
Panola County, Texas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In Texas where it's 100 degrees and no rain there are not many pretty plugs. It's like digging concrete. And if you dig a plug the dirt is so dry your plug falls apart.

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone talks about the three sided plug...i cut 4 but I cut deep so I get the roots too. I get the target and replace the plug, you can't tell I've been there and I usually go back days later and nothing is dead, no clue as to me having dug there but yet I see three sided plugs that look like a balding mans come over...you know its there, it looks horrible but someone thinks it looks great. I'll continue with what I call a compass cut, make sure all the edges are cut clean and touch one another in the initial cut(I make my own shovels just so I can make these cuts) was told by lawn care guy as long as you cut deeper than the roots its just like planting sod, cut the roots and its dead.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread