Metal detecting during the night

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Night hunting the beach is great! No sun and no pesky kids swarming over your targets.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Parks and beaches close at 9pm where I'm at. Probably wouldn't want to be there alone after that.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Permissions; Farm Fields; Woods; Sports Fields.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy doing some night detecting, because it just seems more peaceful. Night is a good time to detect those public places that you may not want to go to during the day because of people around. Could be anywhere really, like schools, parks, curbstrips, beach, construction sites. I've also hit up the courthouse and city country club at night.
During the summer the bugs do come out hardcore at night though, so always carry bugspray!

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So have I on occasion. Sure is a lot cooler than in the direct sun.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beaches are great at night. Sport parks that are remote away from neighborhoods are good night spots as well. (I find that my detector and pinpointer make noises that drives dogs crazy, so hate being out at night and causing dogs to bark like crazy.) I'll also hit areas near cellar holes remote in the deep woods if I have been there many times before and know the lay of the land. Sometimes night detecting gives you a different perspective or you just naturally slow down. (I have same issues with nights being my only available time some weeks.) Be safe, don't break the law, not worth it, and exercise common sense.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Beaches, Resorts, Amusement Parks that I had permission to work where always night time only. Some only gave permission to clean up twice a year four evenings each time. Beach Resorts where nice, if I would find personal items of value I would turn them into to the resort, in turn they would do me favours. They never asked for anything in letting me hunt other than do it late at night, and check in with security. Returning items was just a plus for both of us.

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
Be sure to check local regs, for instance, some beaches ban artificial light during turtle nest season. Probably frown on digging at night too...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread