Metal Detecting Etiquette - Trying to Return Items that You Find

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
"Oh man, not another post by that Overkill guy. Why doesn't he just stop asking questions and go ahead and detect!!"

Well, I have my plane ticket, and I'm headed for Indian Rocks Beach in early May for 4 or so days of detecting. The only thing left to do is to buy a detector and metal scoop! :icon_thumleft: By the way, is it OK to ask on this forum for URLs of sites where used detectors are being sold. What I want is a Minelab Excalibur for $15. Just kidding. But seriously, if you can post any URL for used detectors, I'd appreciate it. I also noted that our forum has a classified section that I need to check out.

My main question: What lengths are you ladies and gentlemen going to to attempt to return items to the owner who owned the piece before you found it? I remember reading something about this in a treasure detecting code of conduct or something. After every find, is it reasonable to check a couple of lost and found sites and newspaper ads after you find something of value (say, over a certain dollar amount such as $50) to see if you can return it?

I know if I made a mistake and lost a piece of jewelry in the water, I would sure appreciate someone returning it to me - especially if I put out an ad for it.

Can you all share some of your usual protocol for attempting to locate the previous owner, if you have any 'protocol'?

Upvote 0

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What do you think?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Simone comes up to me and asks me to find a ring or whatever I'll do it. Everything else is fair game IMO.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
I've found more than 10 house and car keys in the past two weeks - and not a single one of them had any identifying marks on them - other than Toyota or Kwikset or GM.

Most of these showed heavy salt and sand corrosion, so they weren't recent drops.

But it were a new drop, and if the item had a way to contact the owner, I would contact them.

When I find recent car key drops, I usually take them to the life guard - or check the parking lot when I leave to see if anyone is stranded.

None of the rings or jewelry I've found had any marks that would provide a way to contact the owner.

I have found a lot of items with US president's images on them - I guess I could turn those into to the government . . .

Regarding used excaliburs - with Minelab not able to fill the demand for new ones, used ones are starting to bring what new ones sell for. Figure paying $900 or more for a used one these days.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year i meet a guy who detected a ring in wet sand 18k and 1 diamond that was valued at 240 GRAND !! the stone was 10ct white pear shaped it was at a private beach in the Hampton s ...now do you think he returned it or even tried to find the owner ?? :laughing7: i saw pictures of it what a rock !! :thumbsup: iam sure if that person who lost it had it insured Dd60

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
I paid $1000 for my Excal II 1000. Didn't buy it so I can spend my time and gas to go hunting and find a ring and then try to find the owner, what's the point? I find it, it's mine unless it is lost while I am there and the person that lost it asks for my help......

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Diamond had laser inscribed number that was visible, would have rep. jeweler check it out, if possible. Otherwise, into melting pot at refiner.
Any Valuable Item WILL be covered (insured) by store until it is paid for or at least until they get their money. Buyer on the other hand, that's a different story, depends on Auto, Personal Item, Household, and/or Travel Insurance Coverage.

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Deepdiger60 said:
Last year i meet a guy who detected a ring in wet sand 18k and 1 diamond that was valued at 240 GRAND !! the stone was 10ct white pear shaped it was at a private beach in the Hampton s ...now do you think he returned it or even tried to find the owner ?? :laughing7: i saw pictures of it what a rock !! :thumbsup: iam sure if that person who lost it had it insured Dd60

Anyone that would wear/own a ring that cost $240,000 deserves to lose it. What kind of arrogant showoff needs something like that on their finger?
Even if I had $500 million dollars I would not be wearing any jewelery that cost a quarter million dollars. Man some people don't deserve to have that kind of money. :cussing:

too bad,so sad.... ;D

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've returned two rings in the last three years. One was a guy's wedding ring he lost the day before. He flagged me down and described the ring perfectly and the fact he was on his honeymoon made it really cool. I asked him if she knew he lost it yet... He kind of frowned and then I said "well todays your lucky day" and I gave it back to him. I hope he got out of the dog house.

The other was a 2010 class ring from Apopka High here in Florida. It had the kids name in it. I called the school and they were of almost no help in getting this kids ring back to him. I finally got a hold of somebody who knew him personaly and they took my number and his mother called me. Aparently the kids lost the ring throwing a cast net two weeks earlier on Easter break. It was a pretty white gold ring and it would of been worth a nice amount but I'm glad I could give it back to him.

But, on the other hand. You won't find me giving Spain back my reales I've found ::)

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
I don't know if most of us realize that we are obligated BY LAW to attempt to return things of value (usually about $100) which we have found. Of course there is also the same obligation to not speed when driving etc etc. So it's a matter of what our conscience will bear.

But a valuable diamond ring which we might try to pawn and it has a micro-etched ID inscribed .. well that could lead to a huge heap of trouble especially if the ring was reported as stolen.

My personal policy is to try to locate (through newspaper ads) items that are inscribed or are easy to identify. So far out of 115 found rings I've tried to locate owners for about 4 rings with zero success. But I will still always try.

HH Joe

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Finders Keepers, Losers .......

excal/pirate

Jan 28, 2009
thers two groups of metal detecting people
the first group are ones who will go out of there way to return an item(most times the reward is worth more than melt price)
the second group are ones that dont care about the law and will do as they please
its up to you what you will do i check the craigslist for that area like i said before the reward is usally worth more than melt price karma it all comes back to you good luck hunting

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Naples, Fl. it cost about $28 for a 3 Day ad,so it's not up to me to put a found ad in the paper, If you want it back you will put an ad in the Paper.I had a man come up to me one Day and said he lost a Gold chain with a medalion on it a few week past.I had found it 10 mins. before he came up, so I gave it back ,the man thanked me and left ,about 30 mins. later he came back and gave me a $100 bill ,that was nice.It was the thing to do. What I do on ring is ask them what it looks like ( little round gold band doesn't get it) Ialso ask what does it say inside the ring ,if they don't know ,they don't get it back . If it's your Ring you should konw all about it.When someone wants me to find a ring for them .I ask what the ring looks like,this way if I find an other ring while looking for there ring it's mine.So if you find it be quit and let the losers come to you, and be careful.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Overkill Overkill said:
"Oh man, not another post by that Overkill guy. Why doesn't he just stop asking questions and go ahead and detect!!"

Well, I have my plane ticket, and I'm headed for Indian Rocks Beach in early May for 4 or so days of detecting. The only thing left to do is to buy a detector and metal scoop! :icon_thumleft: By the way, is it OK to ask on this forum for URLs of sites where used detectors are being sold. What I want is a Minelab Excalibur for $15. Just kidding. But seriously, if you can post any URL for used detectors, I'd appreciate it. I also noted that our forum has a classified section that I need to check out.

My main question: What lengths are you ladies and gentlemen going to to attempt to return items to the owner who owned the piece before you found it? I remember reading something about this in a treasure detecting code of conduct or something. After every find, is it reasonable to check a couple of lost and found sites and newspaper ads after you find something of value (say, over a certain dollar amount such as $50) to see if you can return it?

I know if I made a mistake and lost a piece of jewelry in the water, I would sure appreciate someone returning it to me - especially if I put out an ad for it.

Can you all share some of your usual protocol for attempting to locate the previous owner, if you have any 'protocol'?
I will help anyone who asks me for help.

Recently I was at Desoto beach in St. Pete and a guy in the water asked me to try to find his wedding ring he just lost. He gave me a description plus where he lost it. I found it for him in less than 10 minutes.

If I can positively ID the person who owns the ring, then I say find them and give it back. A recent find by a MDer found the senate ring of Alphonse Dimatto, former senator from NY. His name was on the ring with the stone and in gold. He got his ring back. Try selling that ring to anyone.....good luck.

If the ring has no markings....and it is a big expensive ring......you can bet that the insurance company has paid it off. Keep it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions