Metal Detecting gloves

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
There was a thread on here a few months ago regarding gloves, and I cannot find it.

I was going to report back on what gloves worked for me.

I have always used whatever was handy, and I had no strong opinion as to what to wear. Sometimes I do not wear them at all, but usually regret no doing so.

Last month I was getting some gas cylinders filled, and I bought a pair of Ringers gloves. They are Roughneck Tefloc branded, and cost me 25 bucks.

These are great gloves for MDing. I like that they are high visibility, so I can find them easier.

But they are tougher than anything I have seen this side of hockey gloves!

Upvote 0

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the blue and white ones from Lowes. Like 5 pair for 3 bucks. They breathe and the dipped blue coating helps with the moisture without being bulky. They last a long time and usually until the fingertips wear through.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm just a dirty old man, never wear gloves, have never suffered a bad cut in 45 years of digging, and don't at all mind the dirty hands. I've heard folks fretting about a possible hypodermic needle but no gloves will protect you from the point of one of those anyways. I like to feel the sweet silver dime in the hole, couldn't do so with gloves on.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm just a dirty old man, never wear gloves, have never suffered a bad cut in 45 years of digging, and don't at all mind the dirty hands. I've heard folks fretting about a possible hypodermic needle but no gloves will protect you from the point of one of those anyways. I like to feel the sweet silver dime in the hole, couldn't do so with gloves on.
I agree, don't need no stinkin' cumbersome gloves to protect these tough old hands. No biggie if I bleed a little. I keep my shots up to date.
Marvin

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the same as tcornel, this year they have some at Lowes 10 pair for 10 bucks. These should last me 2 seasons. I have bought some at a flea market for $1 a pair in the past.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy "mechanic" style gloves, with a little extra padding on the tips of the fingers as they last longer.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mostly use Ringers R-4cw industrial grade cut level 4 resistance gloves with bright orange rubber coating on fingers & plam area & others I pick up at various hardware stores.

Texas ED

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a pair of easy on/off mechanics gloves from Walmart for $14 that are very comfortable and have held up. I hate wearing gloves most of the time for coinshooting but when doing heavy duty relic hunting and digging deep deep holes it is almost a necessity. The easy off feature is a huge plus when you want to take pics of finds during the hunt. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458871957.815273.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458872015.836757.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
I mostly use Ringers R-4cw industrial grade cut level 4 resistance gloves with bright orange rubber coating on fingers & plam area & others I pick up at various hardware stores.

Texas ED

Ed, I had never seen the ringer gloves before, I just picked them up to try them out.

I do not think I can wear these out!

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use industrial Kevlar gloves, they also have the rubber coating on the palm side...keeps me a little drier and keeps the cut factor down...can get 4 hunts per pair.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the blue and white ones from Lowes. Like 5 pair for 3 bucks. They breathe and the dipped blue coating helps with the moisture without being bulky. They last a long time and usually until the fingertips wear through.

10 for $10 at Lowes recently. I wear them when carrying rocks, sticks of wood, picking up things in the dark basement where there may be something clinging which would not welcome my touch (i.e. SPIDERS!).

I keep thinking I should wear them when digging - and may yet, but I've never injured myself. Then too I don't claw the dirt out, loosen it first.

I remember one hole a big spider jumped out, I rolled over backwards getting outta there!

No, I'm not afraid of spiders. It's best described as terrified.

bryansb

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a pair for $9.99 from Home Depot yesterday. They look and feel just like Mechanix brand but are cheaper. They even have those "SPECIAL" fingertips so you can use you smart phone's touch screen withOUT having to take off your gloves!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember, if you ever hunt an area where they tear down public housing, get kevlar gloves. I don't want to reach into a hole and get stuck by a needle!

OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
enamel, the ringers gloves that are referred to in this thread have a rated level of puncture resistance. This is a list of ratings taken from a site selling the gloves that I purchased:
Ratings:

• CE4343
  • EN388:2003 Level 4343
  • Abrasion Resistance: 4
  • Blade Cut Resistance: 3
  • Tear Resistance: 4
  • Puncture Resistance: 3
  • EN420:2003+A1:2009
  • ANSI/ISEA Cut Level 3

I do not know much about these ratings, but I can tell you that they are really nice gloves for MDing.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hand socks are for sissies:laughing7:

OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Perhaps I should have started this thread differently. I was trying to get feedback and offer opinions to the folks that do wear gloves while detecting.

If you do not wear them, that is fine. But pointing this out does not add to my thread.

It is interesting how rude people are when hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting less than 6 years but for me, it's .99 cent store gloves, rubber front lycra back. They come in red or yellow (usually) & have good enough dexterity to work with pretty small objects. Cheap enough to buy plenty, but still get some decent longevity. I get at least ten 2-3 hour hunts before the fingers wear badly.

Digger Max

Oct 27, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
E-TRAC
ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use Mechanics gloves and have for a long time but have tried many.
Wearing gloves gives a degree of safety while detecting not for just clean hands.
Well worth the expense...tetanus shot I could do without. HH

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps I should have started this thread differently. I was trying to get feedback and offer opinions to the folks that do wear gloves while detecting.

If you do not wear them, that is fine. But pointing this out does not add to my thread.

It is interesting how rude people are when hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

I do NOT see a question in your original post, thus my reply. I don't wear them and according to you, you don't wear them sometimes.
When you make a post like that you are inviting all to comment. I see no disrespect or rudeness here, just a difference of opinion on the need for gloves.
Have a nice day.
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread