Metal Detecting History

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There is an oft-quoted line about Fisher being the first, or the "first modern", and so forth. And even their own ads say something like "oldest" or "first in metal detectors" or something like that. But I believe it's just that he was the first to apply for a PATENT on it. Not that there wasn't necessarily primitive attempts before Fishers foray into it. Even in Fishers own museum of vintage detectors, they have some crude earlier attempts by other makers on display.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember finding my grandfather's ancient metal detector in the closet, thinking how silly it was to hunt around for pocket change. And now here I am, with the claws of this interesting hobby deep within my skin.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN1188.JPG DSCN1189.JPG DSCN1190.JPG

Actually this baby isn't all that heavy, and it is well balanced and it was easier to swing for hours than my Safari. Of course I was a lot younger then (1970) when I first got it. It was one of the best machines available and cost me a week's pay back then just like my Safari cost me a week's pay a couple of years ago. There were two basic choices, BFO or TR, the latter being the forerunner of our modern VLFs. This old Garrett was used when nobody around here knew what a metal detector was, and it was easy to get permission for private properties and very few places were off limits and all sites were virgin. I found more good stuff with it in a few years than I have with all the modern machines I have in a few years.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the contrary, they were pretty simple. I'll take the modern, complicated ones any day! They just work so much better!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
On the contrary, they were pretty simple. I'll take the modern, complicated ones any day! They just work so much better!

You're right: those old machines (despite their many buttons) were a breeze to use ! But alas, no discrimination (except small iron was "tell-tale"), no depth, and no ability in minerals. Still though, that was fun hunting. No one had any advantage over the next guy, it seemed.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
My grandfather had a machine like that back in the early eighties. I was a child and didn't really understand what was going on, nor did I see the appeal of it when I tagged along. But I think back to how he was killing it and I feel a bit of envy. I'd happily hunt in all-metal if it meant finds like his. Every site was virgin and there were no other detectorists around for a while. He eventually became a dealer (I think for White's) and founded the club in that town which still exists today. But even then, I think about how few their numbers were and how many places there were to hunt even on public land, and I realize how uncompetitive it was back then compared with today.

It makes me wonder who had it better - the old-timers with the beep-and-dig machines, or us newcomers with the more polished detectors. I dig far fewer holes than he did, but I also have a far smaller finds pouch. I think that I'd rather have it like he did. I'd happily dig holes all day if I had more to show for it than a few bucks in clad and a couple of bottlecaps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions