METAL DETECTING HOBBISTS DAMAGING THE ENVIRONMENT!!

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
It got me too, for a little while as I read it, and then I realized that the power level of radiation from metal detectors is way too low to break or change molecular structure, so it is nonsense to claim that it effects protein molecules in soil organisms.

kmk

Feb 4, 2016
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and APEX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Delaware State Journal:
Sarah Kuchinisch, Science Reporter

A preliminary report from a 5 year study, funded by the U.S. Dept of Agriculture, indicates there is a strong deleterious effect on earthworms, especially the variety known by the scientific name Genus Aporrectodea turgid, by the use of hobby metal detectors. According to Dr. Pohmben Keemau, a Nobel Prize-winning biologist from the Delaware University Biology Department, the radiation emitted by detectors causes serious reproduction problems in immature worms. "The radiation of frequencies transmitted by metal detectors between 1.5 kilohertz and 100 kilohertz severely damages internal organs of immature worms, specifically the Tumescence Genitale organs," Kemau said. "Because of this the worm becomes sterile when mature. It is similar to the effect of high powered sonars, used by the Navy, on whales". Kemau also said the problem was widespread. "Thousands and thousands of acres searched by metal detectorists are effectively sterilizing untold millions of earthworms. It's a serious issue. It is a fact that earthworms revitalize soil, and soil without the work done by earthworms stresses the growth of flora," he said. Doctor Keemau went on to say the University was expanding the study to determine the effect of hobby metal detectors on our ocean's coast lines. "We suspect that the metal detectors are interfering with sand fleas, Genus Menticirrhus. Menticirrhus is a key link in the shore-line food chain effecting both the fish and shore bird populations which rely on them for food," he said. New Jersey and Delaware are already considering banning most metal detecting in their respective states. Upon completion of the study a report will be sent to Congress for national legislative action if they deem it necessary.
Nuke em, come on pure horse crap. Typical liberal BS

kmk

Feb 4, 2016
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and APEX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too much caffeine.
Most likely, but it gets me pissed off that they would devote 5 years and all the money and time wasted to try kill an industry and a recreational sport of sorts. I live in upstate NY, and the governor we have would most likely outlaw it, if it got her kudos from her party.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Delaware State Journal:
Sarah Kuchinisch, Science Reporter

A preliminary report from a 5 year study, funded by the U.S. Dept of Agriculture, indicates there is a strong deleterious effect on earthworms, especially the variety known by the scientific name Genus Aporrectodea turgid, by the use of hobby metal detectors. According to Dr. Pohmben Keemau, a Nobel Prize-winning biologist from the Delaware University Biology Department, the radiation emitted by detectors causes serious reproduction problems in immature worms. "The radiation of frequencies transmitted by metal detectors between 1.5 kilohertz and 100 kilohertz severely damages internal organs of immature worms, specifically the Tumescence Genitale organs," Kemau said. "Because of this the worm becomes sterile when mature. It is similar to the effect of high powered sonars, used by the Navy, on whales". Kemau also said the problem was widespread. "Thousands and thousands of acres searched by metal detectorists are effectively sterilizing untold millions of earthworms. It's a serious issue. It is a fact that earthworms revitalize soil, and soil without the work done by earthworms stresses the growth of flora," he said. Doctor Keemau went on to say the University was expanding the study to determine the effect of hobby metal detectors on our ocean's coast lines. "We suspect that the metal detectors are interfering with sand fleas, Genus Menticirrhus. Menticirrhus is a key link in the shore-line food chain effecting both the fish and shore bird populations which rely on them for food," he said. New Jersey and Delaware are already considering banning most metal detecting in their respective states. Upon completion of the study a report will be sent to Congress for national legislative action if they deem it necessary.
our tax Dollars at work LOL

I have a theory the earth worms are probably more affected by people digging them up and using them for fishing bait, so there is a shortage of fishing baits now LOL, or worse yet all the Chemicals the governments are spraying in our Air just might be the Culprit that is affecting the Earthworms

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a study for them to do and I would gladly donate to this study

(The Affects of How Brainless, Brain Dead Politicians Are Destroying Our Great Country)

Now that's a study I would be interested in reading about, and as I stated would be happy to donate to the cause

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a study for them to do and I would gladly donate to this study

(The Affects of How Brainless, Brain Dead Politicians Are Destroying Our Great Country)

Now that's a study I would be interested in reading about, and as I stated would be happy to donate to the cause
That study would be a brain drain. 🤣

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The sad part of this post is we are living in crazy-minded times. There are some out there who very well may TRULY believe this sort of garbage. Oh, or better yet they would come up with a "detecting luxury tax" to cover the "restoration of earthworm habitat". Yeah, that is more like how it would go down.
Next thing some one will do is try to make us all pay restitution to the Earthworms LOL

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That study would be a brain drain. 🤣
No more so than a study about how we detectorist are killing the Earthworms LOL

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well enough of this nonsense, Gonna go out and kill some earthworms with my detector LOL
I haven't killed any with my detector.... :metaldetector:
I have cut a whole lot in half with my shovel & trowel, BUT when you cut a worm in half, aren't both halves supposed to regenerate? :icon_scratch:

So we're (detectorists) actually adding to the worm population! 😁

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I haven't killed any with my detector.... :metaldetector:
I have cut a whole lot in half with my shovel & trowel, BUT when you cut a worm in half, aren't both halves supposed to regenerate? :icon_scratch:

So we're (detectorists) actually adding to the worm population! 😁
I just don't know what to say about that worm killing spree you claim to be on.🤣

Screenshot_20240418_153949_Chrome.jpg

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just don't know what to say about that worm killing spree you claim to be on.🤣
Oh, sure... like you've never... 🤨

OK, so statistically, we're probably keeping the status quo. The dead worms (or parts thereof) help fertilize the soil.

I'm sure some folks have dug into a lot worse than earthworms! 🐜🐛🐌🦗🐝🦂🕷

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh, sure... like you've never... 🤨

OK, so statistically, we're probably keeping the status quo. The dead worms (or parts thereof) help fertilize the soil.

I'm sure some folks have dug into a lot worse than earthworms! 🐜🐛🐌🦗🐝🦂🕷
I'd never admit to such an act.🤣
If I dig one it goes back into the hole.
Grubs get tossed away from the hole.
Darn skunks will dig the hole/plug out again.
Watched one digging the plugs up in the front yard of a rental cottage.
It was after the grubs.
So I throw them away from the hole, and it works most of the time.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd never admit to such an act.🤣
If I dig one it goes back into the hole.
Grubs get tossed away from the hole.
Darn skunks will dig the hole/plug out again.
Watched one digging the plugs up in the front yard of a rental cottage.
It was after the grubs.
So I throw them away from the hole, and it works most of the time.
I save the grubs and feed them to my reptiles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread