Metal detecting in Australia. What's your biggest challenge?

shiro-san

Greenie
Jan 13, 2017
Quebec
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding open ground you can detect on. Depending on where you go the laws there vary from state to state however all require that you obtain a Miners Right and observe the rules/regulations for the region your prospecting in. If your going to do any coin shooting understand that schools are not public ground as well as some parks, Kings Cross Park in Perth is one example, however you can make a heap of cash just looking for 1 and 2 dollar coins.

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello

I was just wondering what is the number one challenge that comes to your mind when you think of metal detecting in Australia? Apart from the basics such as dealing with mother nature, having water, electricity, radio etc.

I'm wondering what I should be expecting as challenges while metal detecting in Australia.

Thank you

Don't let the wild life kill you? There's an awful lot of critters that can kill you :(

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
GOLDEN CRAB i worry more about the 2 legged critters more then the 4 .... joke ( it must be the mercury in the water ) where i want to go north of there u could end up on the menu

Ballarat Bitter

Greenie
Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say getting lost and dying of hypothermia is your biggest danger-it gets -3 C here overnight.It nearly happened to me last year.
Then the deadly brown snake if you go in summer. Expect to die in 40 minutes. Then the deep mine shafts if you survive the fall no one will find you.

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Number 1 , you need to do your homework , depending whether you are heading to " The Golden Triangle " , The tropical North or the Western Goldfields , need to know all the usual stuff like Accessability , terrain , weather at particular times of the year , permits , road conditions , supply depots and plenty of variables in between , but saying all that a well planned trip can be very rewarding ! .. Cheers Mick .

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i read somewhere people who are not citizens can only take a certain amount home with them, its not much. gov't taxes heavy, or takes it all if large amount? cant remember which. definatley want to read up on the laws for taking it home.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can take upto 2 kilograms of material with you, and no its not taxed as its considered mineral specimens. Anything after that you have to declare. One exception is South Australia~ they have some quirky rules for how much you can detect in a day, have in possesion at home and how to display it and who you can sell it to. But that gold is unique in that it has a high copper content and a red appearance.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions