Metal Detecting in Colorado

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Here's a link to the USFS, and as you'll see, there is no cause for concern there:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/a...kisatchie-national-forest-image-743400855.png

As for BLM, I've heard that that's ok too, at least as it concerns prospecting. But not sure about coins, as perhaps someone could gripe you found a coin over 50 yrs. old? (But sheesk, is anyone really standing over you with a calculator? ) I've hunted BLM before, and not had a problem. But like any public land (even the most innocous sandbox you could ever imagine), I bet that if you asked enough questions, of enough deskbound bureaucrats, far enough up the chain of command, with the right combination of buzzwords (eg.: "treasure" and "dig" and "archaeology", and "liability") that you can always find yourself a "no", if you try hard enough. But the reality is, if you simply went and detected that same sandbox, no one really would have cared or noticed.

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I am looking into purchasing a metal detector, but I am hesitant from some of the reading within the USFS and BLM websites. So where can use a metal detector? I was thinking of using it to help with prospecting in and around streams. Does anyone have any advice specific for Colorado? :BangHead:
Thanks,

Hey Warchief,

I just won a Whites 4900 on ebay and am waiting for it to arrive. I am looking for someone to go Treasure hunting with. What part of Colorado you in? Im out in Littleton. If your local around Denver area. We should get together and look at doing some hunting.

As far as your topic. As long as its not private property and there are no signs that say you cant do it, I believe its fair game to Detect. I plan to hit many areas.

James

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
The 4900 will be limited for prospecting since it really is not a good gold detector. You can use it to find concentrated black sands (which might point you towards gold). It will also react to some silver ore that you might run across in the mountains.

I strongly suggest that you look for a Metal Detecting club in your area and learn from other people. Hunting for gold and sliver is one of the hardest types of metal detecting. Coin hunting is a good place to start learning your machines capabilties.

I have a Whites 5900 SL, it's an exceptional relic hunting machine, but I use a Whites GMT and Goldmaster Vsat for hunting for gold in Colorado.

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips. I will definetly be working on a group to learn all I can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread