Metal Detecting In Ghost Towns

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A word of advice: Avoid those "ghost towns" that are no secret to the history books. You know, the types that are easy to find in the coffee table "Sunset Home & Garden Ghost Towns of the SW". Or tourist trap stuff in RV guide books, etc... Even if they contain mouth-watering pictures of ruins, walls, etc..., yet trust me: They've been worked to a frazzle. And avoid the obvious historic sensitive monument type ones too, lest someone "get their panties in a wad".

Instead, the best ones to find and hunt are the types are only found in obscure references. Ones that aren't easily readily seen in easy-to-find books. Short-lived little stage stops that went belly-up when RR's came through and took a different route. Or when the age of autos came and the little country cross-roads stops dried up. etc....

Maybe 30+ years ago you could walk right up to the easy-to-find ghost towns and find coins. But now, 30+ yrs. later, the obvious easy to find/access spots, have gotten hammered.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would add: If it's on private property, get permission, or maybe get shot! don't do anything to the structure or you might get arrested for vandalism or theft. Snakes would probably not be an issue this time of year but in the spring they could be.

OP
OP
U

usa2stay

Aug 10, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Xterra 305
Xterra 705
Quite sound advice from both of you. I am going to ghost towns that are indeed obscure. And thanks for the tip on the rattlers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread