Metal detecting in Israel

Digaplug

Sep 29, 2010
TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QDII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever tried to take a MD into Israel through customs?
I have a two week trip coming up, and would like to take mine as I will be close to the beach.
I tried calling and emailing the U.S. Embassy, but as of yet I have not received an answer.
I work with a few people from Israel, and they said it shouldn't be an issue.
Does anyone know anything, or what would you guys do?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hard to understand your question. Are you strictly asking from the perspective "going through customs" ? If so, then I agree with those you talked to so far. Because as an intrinsic piece of electronic equipment, then.... why would it be any different than anything else similar, that people routinely travel with? Eg.: computers, sound equipment, music equipment, fancy photography stuff, testing devices, etc.... Just break it down into the components, and I bet there's nothing inherently wrong with it. I mean, it's not drugs or explosives, and ... that's what they're screening for at airlines, right?

But if you meant "Can I metal detect in Israel?" (as per, laws-of-the-land), that's a different story. I'm sure you will find no shortage of people who answer that by saying "absolutely not". Because, of course "Israel" conjurs up images of utter antiquities, export laws, etc... I mean, go figure, countries like that (around there) have probably dealt for centuries with people pillaging things like pyramaids, etc... and carting away things. So there were antiquities laws developed ages ago (not unlike ARPA, but as you can see, there's no shortage of md'rs here in the USA, despite ARPA). But nonetheless, people in the past few decades have asked, and compiled lists of bureaucrat's answers. I'm sure you can find that list that circulates on the list (and Israel may even be on the list). Some of the European countries (in fact all but Britain it seems) have "dire sounding" things.

But that's a whole other subject! You have to take in to account what those laws apply to. Obviously, if the question was asked way-back-when of some government official, then obviously they will "morph" things to apply (the century + yr. old things that may have been already on the books for decades). Or whatever answer they give, applies to public land (or perhaps only federal land, as the answer of ARPA in the USA would be), and have no bearing on other types of land. For example private land with permission, where you can hunt farmers lands with permission, and that is outside such answers.

There is often no shortage of hobbyists (and dealers, etc...)in some of those countries with "dire sounding rules". And if you were to ask them, it would be as I say: because any such rules you might read about only apply to federal lands, or historic sites, etc... (no different that arpa would be for the usa, for example). Or that they only hunt farmers fields. Or that they only hunt the tourist beaches for modern targets (and no one cares less, as long as you're not a nuisance). Or .... quite frankly .... they're so far out in the forests, there's no one to care.

But as I say, you can bet someone will come along shortly and say "absolutely not".

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure it would be allowed, but if you have lots of time, and like to hang around with the customs and security agents, then take your detector. They have very TIGHT security there and do check everything, so be prepared. Better to check with someone that knows the LAW, not what the U.S. law is. Since you are going to Israel, then check with them, not the U.S. embassy. For two weeks, I would not bother with the trouble you may face.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... Since you are going to Israel, then check with them, not the U.S. embassy.....

And such would be the "logical" answer, right? I mean, who better to ask, than the country themselves..... RIGHT?

Such was the case of Fisher Co, when they did just that for a certain country. When they fielded a question in their monthly periodical, long ago, along those lines: "Is metal detecting allowed in Mexico?" When they got his question in their Q&A column, they did just as you logically suggested ..... : Asked. And who better to ask, than a lawyer. consulate, bureaucrat representing Mexico themselves? And the answer they got back? No. And it went on to site antiquity laws, export laws, etc... You know, like federal raiding mexican pyramaids things, exporting gold bars..... etc... I mean, afterall, you asked.

So Fisher published the answer to the inquirer. But readers in the next issue wrote in and objected. Saying things like "since when?" and "where did you get this info?" and "we go down there all the time with no problems?". Turns out, detectors are a common site on tourist beaches down there. There are dealers in the bigger cities down there (including fisher dealers, doh!). So Fisher, in their defense, explained that when they'd received the earlier inquiry, .... they .... asked! Well I suppose that would be no different than if you were to ask enough USA bureaucrats and archies "can I detect in the USA?", you might also be told "no". Thus was my answer, comparing it to USA's ARPA (in case you were wondering).

Now, don't get "lost in the example" (yes I know that's a different country, etc...). But just saying, when someone gets such an answer (or reads that someone else got it, therefore it must be "gospel truth"), just keep in mind the "because you asked" psychology of answers that can result.

Last edited:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasnt thinking so much about Israel's antiquity laws, but security. I havent been through customs in Israel, but know people that have, and even when you are only carrying the normal stuff, sometimes they are examined very closely, and questioned very thoroughly. I doubt there is any country in the world, that is more concerned about security. So if someone wants to take a chance, go ahead, but then also is the question "what are you going to find?" A lot of work for very small returns.

Some people ask about bringing a detector into Thailand, and my answer is "its not worth it". Yes, detectors are sold here, and yes, they come through customs, but then again, if it isnt your lucky day, you will be stopped and maybe have some problems, such as taxes. I even carry a copy of the receipt for my detector with me, so I will be able to get back into my own country without paying tax on it again.

Now days, with air travel, your really limited on baggage, and a detector takes up a lot of that allowance, so if you might find one dollar worth of coins, its better to leave it at home.

Tom, I was really expecting your reply, and your reply was exactly how I expected. You are right most of the time, but as far as Israel is concerned, I think its a complete different ball game, and just not worth it, even if someone gets through customs without a problem. Maybe Cuba is almost as difficult.

OP
OP
Digaplug

Digaplug

Sep 29, 2010
TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QDII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will be my sixth trip to Israel, but I have never taken a MD before. Even if I get stopped at the airport, there is nothing illegal about it, so it would just be an inconvienience, but getting arrested for digging on the beach is a whole other thing.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id be-careful digging things up over there I am sure people over there may get very upset, but i really don't know! let us know how it turns out.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For me it's an interesting (and mostly hypothetical given my travel history)question which I have been wondering about, mainly wrt the holy land and say, Egypt.
I've heard there's quite a pillaging of antiquities going on wherever they exist.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a friend (in the USA) who detects and has taken his detector to the Caribbean, Ireland, Canada, Mexico, South America, and a few other countries. He doesn't take his Etrac. He bought a cheap/decent Tesoro just in case it gets taken, lost, or broken.

He takes the coil and head unit in his carry on and checks the poles in his luggage. He tried to take thepoles in his carry on but even TSA said 'no. it was a weapon'. He said he never worries about the poles in his chacked luggage because who would care about them, IF they even know what they are for. He said he has been questioned both leaving the country and entering countries, but carries batteries to boot up the head unit if needed. He said he had to boot it up a few times to show them that it was a metal detector and nothing more. Hope this helps.

Winter

Mar 5, 2013
Israel, for now
Detector(s) used
Soon a Bounty Hunter VLF 2.1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever tried to take a MD into Israel through customs?
I have a two week trip coming up, and would like to take mine as I will be close to the beach.
I tried calling and emailing the U.S. Embassy, but as of yet I have not received an answer.
I work with a few people from Israel, and they said it shouldn't be an issue.
Does anyone know anything, or what would you guys do?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

hello there!
I live in Israel, and I hope I could help.
Mainly, MDing here is allowed anywhere, as long as it isn't a historical place. so feel free to walk around the beach with your md!
as for taking your MD here, I don't think it would be any problem, but if you'd like to, I could check around.
feel free to contact me if you need any help with your trip :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
hello there!
I live in Israel, and I hope I could help.
Mainly, MDing here is allowed anywhere, as long as it isn't a historical place. so feel free to walk around the beach with your md!
as for taking your MD here, I don't think it would be any problem, but if you'd like to, I could check around.
feel free to contact me if you need any help with your trip :)

interesting. thanx.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nothing like a response from a local. get TSA taken care of in the USA and you just have to get it past the IDF...LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread