Metal detecting in Mexico?

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
Hey, I'm headed down to Cabo for the weekend (Thurs. - Mon.) and was thinking of throwing the 250 in my suitcase. Anybody had any problems with MD in Mexico? Of course I'll ask the hotel first if I can do it on their beach (at off peak times 6am-8am, 6pm-8pm). I'm more worried about some corrupt policia trying to take my detector or get some money out of me. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Metal detectors are a common site on the tourist beaches in Mexico. All the manufacturers (Whites, Garrett, Fisher, etc...) have dealers in the major cities, etc... I haven't detected the beaches, but I did land detecting in Mexico. We went through the border at Juarez, with detectors in full-view (they even asked "what are those?") and never had a problem.

Don't know about corruption or muggings or whatever, but just commenting on the laws :)

Back in the early 1980s, Fisher used to have a monthly or quarterly periodical newsletter thingy (maybe they still do?). In this, they used to have a Q&A column. Someone had written in to this Q&A column asking if they could, legally, take their detectors to Mexico on their next vacation. The answer was titled "When travelling to Mexico, leave your detectors at home". The editor went on and on about how detecting in Mexico was dis-allowed, illegal, blah blah. The next issue had a folly of letters to the editor objecting this answer. People were asking things like "since WHEN?" "who told you this info?" and "we go there all the time each year, and never have a problem" blah blah. The editor replied to all these objections by clarifying where he got his answer: HE ASKED! Yup, he just picked up the phone and called some Mexican consolate or lawyer or bureaucrat type person. I guess whomever fields a question like that, might couch it in terms of shipwreck salvor type laws, historical monuments (pyramids, protected fed. sites, etc...) etc... I mean, it might be the same thing if you asked enough American lawmakers "can I metal detect in the United States?" You would find some to tell you "no", because they're thinking in terms of federal land, or Shiloh, or ARPA or whatever. What's wierd too, is that Fisher gave this answer, yet they had, and still have, dealers down there! Doh.

al-nm

May 8, 2008
new mexico
Detector(s) used
6000xlpro
Heard more on detectors being stolen by cargo employees at starting point or landing points then being taken by officials. Be sure you check on insurance for the flights or something if they provide it.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
I have taken mine two years in a row (Isla Mujares) and had no problems either time....gonna go do it again this year!
Good luck and HH
Baggins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread