Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear you but I LOVE the summer. I don't get poison ivy, mosquitoes don't like me and I'll take sweating over shivering any time. So far, we've had so much rain I haven't run into dry ground yet; but it's coming. That I can do without.

But, to each his own. Just know that when you're lovin' winter I'll be hatin' it. I don't even hunt when it's cold.
Plus the older I get the worse that cold feels.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear you but I LOVE the summer. I don't get poison ivy, mosquitoes don't like me and I'll take sweating over shivering any time. So far, we've had so much rain I haven't run into dry ground yet; but it's coming. That I can do without.

But, to each his own. Just know that when you're lovin' winter I'll be hatin' it. I don't even hunt when it's cold.
Plus the older I get the worse that cold feels.

I forgot about the poison ivy/oak! I have to say, luckily I haven't had much this year, just a few spots on my arms. Oh yea, and the ticks! Hate those #$@# things. But I can understand people up north preferring the Summer as their winter hunting is usually pretty limited. It rarely gets cold enough in NC to keep me from hunting. As long as it's above 25 or 30 degrees I'm fine.

This past winter I did finally get a taste of what you guys up north have to deal with. We had a few days of rain and then a severe cold front came through. The ground was froze solid several inches down. Couldn't dig at all!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with you Bladerunner. When it hits 80, I just burn out so fast now. Years ago, it wasn't the case...could go all day in 90+ temps. I'm allergic to bee/wasp stings so I gotta be careful...but they haven't been bad in Northern IL so far this year. Hardly ever run into nasty vegetation so that's no problem. But the ground...Cripes! We've had so much rain here I'm sure I saw an Ark near Shabbona the other day. Digging is a mess right now. I've always liked and done my best in Spring and Fall, too. 😁

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I forgot about the poison ivy/oak! I have to say, luckily I haven't had much this year, just a few spots on my arms. Oh yea, and the ticks! Hate those #$@# things. But I can understand people up north preferring the Summer as their winter hunting is usually pretty limited. It rarely gets cold enough in NC to keep me from hunting. As long as it's above 25 or 30 degrees I'm fine.

This past winter I did finally get a taste of what you guys up north have to deal with. We had a few days of rain and then a severe cold front came through. The ground was froze solid several inches down. Couldn't dig at all!

You do need to REALLY watch those ticks though.

I got Lyme disease last year for the second time (first in 2007). Really nasty stuff.

If you ever find a tick bite (which you often won't), take no chances and go get the medicine before it gets any traction. It will ruin your entire life until it's knocked out of you. The longer you wait the worse it gets and the more you'll wish you would just die; no exaggeration.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only stand it between about 5:30am - 9am. I work in the heat all week I'm not going to sweat and fight gnats on the weekend. Not to mention rattlesnake and cotton mouths prevalent at one of the ghost towns I hunt in winter.

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don`t like to hunt were poison snakes are not many around here ,but the only thing that stops me is deep snow .
Gary

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with you Bladerunner. When it hits 80, I just burn out so fast now. Years ago, it wasn't the case...could go all day in 90+ temps. I'm allergic to bee/wasp stings so I gotta be careful...but they haven't been bad in Northern IL so far this year. Hardly ever run into nasty vegetation so that's no problem. But the ground...Cripes! We've had so much rain here I'm sure I saw an Ark near Shabbona the other day. Digging is a mess right now. I've always liked and done my best in Spring and Fall, too. ��

Same here.
We got another inch of rain yesterday. The rivers and steams were raging, which I love to watch but it makes digging a real mess.

On the upside, damp ground means higher conductivity and deeper targets. You gotta' take the good with the bad and focus on the upside.

I got up really early today and I'm getting ready to go hunt somewhere. I haven't decided on a spot yet but wherever I go it's definitely gonna' be muddy. I'm hoping that will work to my advantage.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys should count your blessings - Up here in Minnesota between frozen ground and cold, we get only a small window to hunt. I'll be out-a-here some day and never look back!!!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found some of my best finds in weather over the 90's so Summer is golden to me. I will say though that poison ivy always creeps up on me when I'm not lookin.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You do need to REALLY watch those ticks though.

I got Lyme disease last year for the second time (first in 2007). Really nasty stuff.

If you ever find a tick bite (which you often won't), take no chances and go get the medicine before it gets any traction. It will ruin your entire life until it's knocked out of you. The longer you wait the worse it gets and the more you'll wish you would just die; no exaggeration.

I found a tick on me last week after a hunt. I think it was attached but I'm not 100% sure. I have been keeping an eye on the spot for signs of Rocky Mountain Spotted fever. Are you saying I should start treatment for Lyme right away? I wonder if my doctor would prescribe the meds without any symptoms.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a tick on me last week after a hunt. I think it was attached but I'm not 100% sure. I have been keeping an eye on the spot for signs of Rocky Mountain Spotted fever. Are you saying I should start treatment for Lyme right away? I wonder if my doctor would prescribe the meds without any symptoms.

Keep a close eye on it for a few weeks. If you start to feel fatigued, achy, have a low grade fever and get a nasty headache that won't go away, seek help ASAP. If you let it go you can also get Belle's Palsy which is paralysis of one side of the face; which I got. Talk about a freak show. I looked like a stroke victim and my eyes were so misaligned I was seeing double for about a week. I swear it's horrible.

Also, keep a watch for any bulls eye rashes anywhere on the body. It can but doesn't necessarily appear at the bite site. Sometimes it appears and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it can show up months after exposure.

It feels like a mystery illness and is often misdiagnosed. The first time they said I could have MS, Lupus and even Malaria. Many doctors are very unfamiliar with it and cannot easily diagnose it. The blood test has a high incidence of false positives and false negatives which further complicates things.

So overall, keep an eye on it and at the slightest symptom get treatment. You'll save yourself a great deal of agony and suffering. Fortunately it's easy to treat. The go to drug is Doxycycline but Amoxicillin will work too. You just need to take more of it and for longer cycles. The price of the Doxy has increased ten fold (surprise surprise). The Amoxicillin is still dirt cheap (for now).

When on antibiotics, always take a good pro-biotic daily. It drastically lessens the negative side effects of the drug. Antibiotics wipe out the good bacteria as well as the bad and you need the good stuff; especially in the gut. It's very important for the immune system, digestion and other things. Without good bacteria we can't live for more than few days. That's how important it is.

I don't know how prevalent Lyme is in your part of the country but on the East coast it's rampant. I only warn people because I don't wanna' see anyone suffer through what I had to endure.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my local weather report for the last two weeks -- starting at 6 am 75 degrees -- 90 + degrees by 9 am (heat feels like index 100) with massive humidity ... fast developing rain storms every afternoon --from 12 to 5 ...then muggy heat till sundown...rain and lightening storms at night

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010

You'd know if it was attatched. You're OK.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only stand it between about 5:30am - 9am. I work in the heat all week I'm not going to sweat and fight gnats on the weekend. Not to mention rattlesnake and cotton mouths prevalent at one of the ghost towns I hunt in winter.

Heh. I'm just the opposite. I work in a -5 to 0 degree freezer. I can FEEL myself thawing out when I am baking in the sun. It feels great to actually sweat.

ALDEEZ777

Jul 14, 2014
Davenport, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Suffering from fibromyalgia any day you can get up and going is a good to hunt. Just can wait ti get a new detector so I can hunt in the rain. Being medically retired from the military I have a lot of time to be bored. Sun snow rain sleet or wind I'm game. Oh was a mailman in Ohio for 12 years also.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hang in there BR2019! The mosquitos eat me alive, I despise them. Vermin.

Hopefully, we will start to get a little rain, to soften the ground. People that don't have red clay soil, have no idea how hard it gets in the summer. About (10) weeks until the fall season. Keep the faith brother!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on your type of hunting, summer time along the coast is our prime hunting time..👍

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the beach in dead of winter after all the depositors are gone and it's about 50-60 degrees. Very serene when you only see a few snow birds and wildlife all day

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread