Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I'm headed to England this Saturday for a two-week vacation/visit with the in-laws and (of course) I'm taking my metal detector. I've read the Treasure Act & I want to make sure that I fully understand what I am/am not required to turn over to the Coroner's Office.

Based on what I read, the only metal detected relics that I must take to the Coroner's Office are:
1) two or more coins that are 300 years old or older and which contain at least 10 percent silver or gold AND which were found together;
2) ten or more coins greater than 300 years old that were found together, regardless of metal content; and
3) any (non-coin) relic that is 10 percent or more silver or gold and is 300 years old or older.

Is this correct? If so, then I can keep any relics less than 300 years old, up to nine coins found at the same spot that are greater than 300 years old but contain no silver or gold, and one 300+ year old coin with 10 percent or more silver or gold.

Is this right? Are there any other requirements I need to know about?

Thanks in advance!

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forget about the coroner. Every county has a Finds Liaison Officer (FLO) who acts as a conduit between you and the coroner. Their names, counties covered and other details can be found here: https://finds.org.uk/contacts

It isn't just familiarity with the Treasure Act.
YOU NEED PERMISSION FROM THE LANDOWNER WHEREVER YOU GO ... plus some kind of arrangement if you find something significant, usually a 50/50 split. One would usually work out the finer details when seeking permission.

INSURANCE IS ALSO RECOMMENDED: Index

Last edited:
OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem my inlaws are British and they know pretty much everybody in the village and my father in law just retired as vicar of the local Anglican Church there.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was I right about what I have to report?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DownNDirty,

I believe also you need an itemized list of all finds to leave the country and return to the US with them....as John mentioned above the FLO officer should be able to fill you in on the details of the required paperwork to make sure it's all legit.

Regards + HH

Bill

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was I right about what I have to report?
Basically, yes.
This is why there is a FLO who can advise you on items found and for which you don't know age or significance.
Seek advice from the FLO. That's why they are there!

I emphasise the fact that you cannot just go and dig anywhere. Many landowners will insist on insurance.

just seen Bill's reply. Good!

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem my inlaws are British and they know pretty much everybody in the village and my father in law just retired as vicar of the local Anglican Church there.
There is a potential problem. I'm English, have taught in the local school for over 40 years and know a lot of people. Alas, permission to dig is not always easy. Please don't assume that you can come over here, start digging anywhere and circumventing the system. With respect, you asked for advice and I gave it. I don't wish to piss on your parade ... but have you really thought this through?

If you get permission to dig, fine. If you find anything then contact the local FLO from the list I supplied. I wish you luck!

Last edited:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DnD I hope you have a bountiful trip. I will keep an eye out on your creek. Good Luck

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And don't tell the vicar you are swinging. It doesn't mean the same in Britain!

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John and Bill-Thanks for the advice.
John - Don't worry. I never detect here ib America without permission I have no plans to change that in England. The reason I am asking is so that I can follow all the rules. I'm sure my inlaws will come through for me.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tylerb-I know it'll be in good hands. Save me a couple

Begather

Jun 4, 2015
United States
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which metal detector you own dear? I want to buy one for my house but i am little bit confused here.

Last edited:

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish you a safe journey DownNDirty.
Take care and have a great holiday.
Yesterday in the UK was the hottest day since record began ... 36.5 degrees Celsius, 97.7 Fahrenheit.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like South Carolina! lol. Thankks for the well wishes

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which metal detector you own dear? I want to buy one for my house but i am little bit confused here.
Welcome to Tnet. You'd probably get more responses if you start your own thread asking for detector purchase advice. If all you're going to use it for is around your house, you should just rent or borrow one. It's not going to take long to cover your average house site. Be prepared to supply info such as location, type of target you plan on looking for, waterproof or not, and your price range.

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the situation with detecting beaches and shorelines in the United Kingdom? I take it the water will be a little bit colder than here in Central Florida.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What's the situation with detecting beaches and shorelines in the United Kingdom? I take it the water will be a little bit colder than here in Central Florida.

I've read posts of guys from the UK, posting their finds from the beaches. And I assume they were doing so legally.

Or perhaps it's one of those situations where ..... if you asked long enough and hard enough of enough bored purist British archies, that you might find a few to say "no". But perhaps those silly questions haven't occurred enough yet. Because it appears they are hunting beaches there so far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread