Metal detecting in Washington becoming extinct?

ozbach

Nov 16, 2009
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac/ xp Deus?/equinox 800
Hey Goldigger, I see you are from Lacey, Bass99 and I have been out a few times here and there, we will have to get together sometime and find some goodies. our last hunt was at stevens field, tons of clad, and 2 wheaties, I have been lucky the last few outings, a 10k white gold ring and a small 14k gold ring, and a smashed silver ring last...oh almost forgot, one 1941 merc dime.

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Went to Lois Lake yesterday and tested my wireless headphones. $20 from Walmart, worked great. I found two pennies (1980 the oldest).

ozbach

Nov 16, 2009
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
I have always wondered about wireless headphones, could you tell me which ones you got? and I will go give wally world a visit, I hate the headphone coil always ripping my head phones off when I forget and standup without picking up the detector. Im suprised you didnt find more at Lois lake, that seems like it should give up a few goodies. Bass99 and I are heading too Mcleary Sunday. and hitting a spot a guy told us about when we were at the park near by. Its a big area so the more detectors covering the ground, the better. He told me to bring a freind, he is, so I know that there will be at least 3 of us. let me kow if you would like to go? or anybody else out there, if this place dont pan ot well there is always the old park real close. I pulled 2 wheaties out of there last visit, and a ton of clad, didnt even make it too the play area.

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Sentry HO900 $20, but you have to buy online and have it sent to the store. Thanks for the invite, but the Army has me on call Sunday with a 20 mile radius from "Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM)". Or as we call it McLewis or JABLAM! Next weekend is the Gold show at the Pullyalup fairgrounds, see me at the Wester Washington GPAA booth on Sat the 20th.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some random thoughts on WA state detecting;

I would hit the shores and parks around lake Washington after Seafair

Bumbershoot, the Seattle Marathon start/finnish, Bit of Seattle would be targets too

There are an @$$ load of parking meters and boxes in the city and not all the change that comes out of a pocket goes into the meter/box

The U district has some grass common areas and you might be able to clean up on Mondays toward the end of the month or semester. I would guess the transition from good food to vending machine variety would happen about then

There are quite few old ghost towns still up in them that hills and even more campgrounds around. I would make a circuit from Sedro Woolley down I-5 to Mossy Rock and back up to Port Townsend to Whidbey Island and across SR-20 and hit every bit of public/pay-as-you-go green this summer

As far as the dry side? There is too many places over there to name - I love WA state, politics aside. I can't wait to move back (or near) there...

ozbach

Nov 16, 2009
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
I have been back to the lacey park a few times now, and it just wont give out any more old coins >:( I even tried out my bran new fisher F70 I know you can never hunt out a park, but MAN I think all my trips there, I have come close! The last 3 times there...no old coins!! Dang!

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I would go out again with a buddy but I just lost interest in going out alone all the time. I need a way to listen to an audiobook and detect at the same time. :D

taiwest

Greenie
Apr 11, 2013
Maple Valley, WA
Detector(s) used
White's V3i,
Tesoro Vaquero,
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New to the website and new to metal detecting. Reviving this old thread as I am in Maple Valley and searching for someone to hunt with in the area.

thedetector

Apr 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whats this parks name?

Now that the ground is thawed out, and if it is not pouring buckets of rain....I am itching to get out there and use my detector....I may be hitting the lacey park, that I was talkng about, in my last post. If any of you are up for it hit me up....!

Hey, I was wondering where that park of yours is? I'm interested in going with my friend and the place sounds good.Please reply!

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been back to the lacey park a few times now, and it just wont give out any more old coins >:( I even tried out my bran new fisher F70 I know you can never hunt out a park, but MAN I think all my trips there, I have come close! The last 3 times there...no old coins!! Dang!

I know this is from three years ago, but I'm positive that the park you mention is the one I hunted today. Got a 44-S wheat,14K gold earring,14K gold ring,a ton of clad, and of course a ton of trash too. You did a good job cleaning out all the old silver:icon_thumright:, I thought for sure I could have gotten a dime atleast. LOL. I will be back there though. Alot of hiding places for those coins there.

Malkiha

Greenie
Mar 8, 2012
Maple Valley
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey, i live in maple valley as well! i havent Md'ed anywhere except my parents property where the old train tracks ran through from hobart to seattle...found a huge railroad spike. id love to go metal detecting with anyone in the area, if you hit this post again, we can get in touch, ive done REALLY well at some of the beachs in seattle, but thats about it! using a Fisher f-4, hit me back

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be more than happyto hunt with ya. I've got a lot of spots in and around renton/maple valley.

jackragusa

Greenie
Nov 13, 2010
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well just a quick remark about treasure hunting in Wash. Look at Lost Treasure's sept. on line addition. Metal detecting dying in this state, I don't think so. Maybe your expectations are a bit high or your not thinking the right way. Always think outside the box so to speak. If your not finding what your expecting you should for your time spent, well try looking in unusual or uniquely different areas you may never of expected. I have found 4 gold rings, 6 sterling rings, several sterling pc.s and a gold hearts charm and over 30 costume rings and various pc.s of jewelry. Besides the several thousand clad coins this summer and the normal junk. As for neat stuff, a jr. Olympics madalion, , several dollars ( new), military badges, etc. Seems like the folks we have been asking permission to hunt their properties are all pretty receptive.
From what I have been told, we have been hunting in areas no one else even thinks of hunting in and doing extremely well. Our secret is really no secret, we just do a little research and "go where people go". People lose things, and we are doing our part in finding the things they lose. So don't be quick to give up or lose faith, just take on a different perspective and get back out there.

bigfokkerdog

Jul 22, 2013
Tumwater, WA
Detector(s) used
Traded up from a Garrett ACE 350 to an ATPro with a Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, I'm back from vacation and am ready to start back into the field next week. Would love to hook up with a hunting buddy. Live in Tumwater and will have thursday thru Saturdays off. Oz, I hit up Wanscher in August and you guys have done a great job there. Got some clad and a silver toe ring for the effort.

Oct 14, 2013
Everett, WA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300
Tesoro Tigershark
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to WA, moved here a month ago from AZ- the big obstacle I have with metal detecting here (Everett) is that you are not allowed to break ground in any public parks, and the rangers diligently enforce these policies. So I am left with metal detecting on beaches. I am not saying that antique coins cannot be found on the beaches, I am saying the the level of difficulty is increased substantially. If anyone has any info that would allow me to metal detect in other locations besides beaches, that information would be much appreciated!

ozbach

Nov 16, 2009
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Hey all, I'm back from vacation and am ready to start back into the field next week. Would love to hook up with a hunting buddy. Live in Tumwater and will have thursday thru Saturdays off. Oz, I hit up Wanscher in August and you guys have done a great job there. Got some clad and a silver toe ring for the effort.
since i have been back....did get a 1916 merc.....wish it would have been a "d" but no.....also got a buff and a "V" nickel,and a few more wheats.....stuff is still there! Using the XP DEUS now....and just picked up another e-trac missed my old one. ;)

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
Digging in parks is prohibited. You don't have to dig. You can pry most coins and rings with a large screwdriver. Tip: Carry a bucket to put the pull tabs, nails, foil, etc, in. Put the finds in your pocket. If someone stops and asks you, you can show them you are cleaning up the area. Don't leave holes anywhere.

School yards, sports fields, grass parking strips at bus stops, picnic areas, are good areas for coins. Best time to detect is just after dawn.

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging in parks is prohibited. You don't have to dig. You can pry most coins and rings with a large screwdriver. Tip: Carry a bucket to put the pull tabs, nails, foil, etc, in. Put the finds in your pocket. If someone stops and asks you, you can show them you are cleaning up the area. Don't leave holes anywhere.

School yards, sports fields, grass parking strips at bus stops, picnic areas, are good areas for coins. Best time to detect is just after dawn.

Never had a problem in King, Pierce, or Snohomish counties. In fact just the other day a king county park official stopped me while detecting and told me what a good job I was doing while filling my holes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread