Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting, it's a real addiction

...when just about every one of your thoughts is framed around metal detecting. I swear it's a sickness, although a good one. Below are some prime examples of how my brain works since I got into this hobby 15 years ago.

When I meet someone new, I say "hello, nice to meet you" but my brain is quickly working behind the scenes and what I really meant to say is " Hi there, do you live in an old house or own property that I can have full access to?"

When wife asks if I can go to the store for milk, etc, my brain automatically lays out the most roundabout route to the store, and by sheer coincidence these routes have cornfields, cellar holes, foundations and other significant spots along the way.

When I see an excavation site in a historical area of town, everything goes out the window- chores, responsibilities, work, errands, etc, nothing else matters much.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, yet so true.
Myself and a coworker were recently driving to pickup a few materials. Well I look to my left and noticed a sidewalk tear out in a historical area. For a full 30 seconds I "blanked out" thinking of the treasure beneath that concrete. The whole time my friend was talking and I don't remember a word. Upon regaining my composure, I said "yup". He continued on so all was well?
GL with our addiction...
Peace ✌

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texting while driving seems relatively safe compared to scanning each side of the road for foundations in the woods while driving.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All so true my friend!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have lost the ability to engage in mature, philosophical discussions about social events, religion, and politics. Now all I talk about is securing permissions, cutting clean plugs, and preserving relics. I used to surf the web to gain worldly knowledge, I now constantly refresh "Active Topics" in order to be the first to see and compliment the best of what Tnet has to offer.

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have lost the ability to engage in mature, philosophical discussions about social events, religion, and politics. Now all I talk about is securing permissions, cutting clean plugs, and preserving relics. I used to surf the web to gain worldly knowledge, I now constantly refresh "Active Topics" in order to be the first to see and compliment the best of what Tnet has to offer.

lmao! I can relate to that! When we have company over and folks begin talking about ANY other subject other then metal detecting, all I can hear in my head are the sounds of pots and pans banging together.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I've done all that's been written but id like to know if anyone else has done this. Seen someone from a distance using a weed whacker and thought are they detecting and what could be there that's so important? Mu daughter has played the trick on me a few times when roadside workers are trimming and says look dad they're detecting and my head automatically points in that direction. I need therapy.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man this is so me it's not even funny. Almost running off the highway looking for old houses. I'll have to show this one to my wife, she'll get a kick out of this.

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on busy weekend days with a lot going on I find myself calculating events down to the minute. "Let's see, go to dump at 8am, hardware store at 8:30, come home, mow lawn, be at the in-laws house by 11am for little Johnny's b-day party, home by 2pm, weed garden, paint fence, HEY this leaves 30 spare minutes before dark, more than enough to sneak out to the nearest field or patch of woods.

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the in-laws ask what I want for Christmas { nice as they are, I don't expect anything from them } they will say something like " How about a nice gift card for new clothes"? The blank stare on my face must resemble that of when someone passes away, because what I see in my head are gift cards for bbh, kellyco and other metal detecting supply stores.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread