Metal Detecting Montage... Getting a little now and then..

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Long time no see! Howdy to all my seemingly forgotten fellow detectorists and friends here on TreasureNet.com. It seems like ages since the last time I made a post here on TNet. It seems like it, because it HAS BEEN ages since my last post. Boy I've missed detecting on a regular basis this summer. As the man once said.. "Life is what happens when you make other plans.." Well, every time I planned to go detecting, "Life" would change my priorities or opportunities. Weather, Work, Worrying about this that or the other.. having to do something else, anything else, other than getting to go do a little detecting.. as planned. *sigh* I won't bore you with details as we all face these same challenges from time to time.
All my lamenting about not getting to get out and detect when planned doesn't mean that I've not been out detecting at all... <grin> Far from it! Though not so much on a regular basis, and not always WHEN I would have preferred to go detecting.. time wise speaking.. I have gotten out and done a little swinging over the past weeks. If you can call detecting for ten minutes here, fifteen minutes there.. maybe an hour every once in a while. <shrug> But even little hunts can be productive, if only in a smaller scale. And.. even the shortest hunt is better than not hunting at all. CAN I GET AN AHMEN!? <giggle>
As far as "where" I've been detecting over this quiet stretch.. well that's as varied as the When. Mostly at a local park where they host the County Fair every summer (and lots of soccer games and tournaments). Oh there were the occasional tot lots and school playgrounds to keep my craving for woodchips at bay as well, but for the most it was the local park. And as varied as my venues, so too were my finds. Ranging from unidentifiable scrap metal pieces to buttons and snaps to pull tabs to coins. Oh and there was a rifle shell in the mix too.

8-22-09Shell.JPG

This rifle shell, I assume it’s a rifle shell, I suppose it could be a really BIG pistol cartridge but somehow I doubt it. Anyway, this shell was found in an older park downtown here in Lexington (Kentucky) where an annual “Arts Fair” is held. Lots of coin shooting to be done after one of these shindigs but you don’t expect to unearth a rifle shell. I’ve found old cartridges at this park before though so I wasn’t too terribly surprised. As you can see from the picture here the cartridge is a center fire but there are no other markings on the casing, so caliber and maker are anybody’s guess.

8-22-09Stuff.JPG

There was a little bling to be found, aside from the usual schoolyard stuff (buttons and snaps and zipper pulls) I found a couple of rings.. at the park, not the schoolyards.

8-22-09Rings.JPG

Both rings are “junque” of course <laughing> but they were neat to find all the same. I found this little pendant and chain this morning.. someone’s Best “monkey”? <raised eyebrow> down in the grass but above the soil.

8-22-09Monkey.JPG

I’ve found a tiny little lock.. complete with two keys rusted on a ring and one in the lock even. I found a set of dog tags.. canine identification..not military issue. I found several lighters..one being a monogrammed Zippo.

8-22-09Nick.JPG

I don’t know who Rick was/is but I’m sure he was saddened when he realized that he’d lost his lighter.

8-22-09ScrapMetal.JPG

Tent spike, half of a utility knife (box cutter), miscellaneous unidentifiable pieces of metal , possibly even car parts.
Of course there are the inevitable pull tabs to be found everywhere.. but hey.. I found this stubby little screwdriver too.. that can be useful.

8-22-09Tabs and Screwdriver.JPG

One stretched (milled) souvenir penny and one token from Gattitown Pizza parlor.

8-22-09Token.JPG

And of course the clad.

8-22-09Clad2.JPG

Of course you have to bear in mind that this clad is a culmination of all these hunts combined.. perhaps five or six outings all together.. still though, it’s a “pretty penny” for such a “waste of time”. <laughing> Some people just don’t get it.. the thrill and adventure of finding lost or buried treasures and coins. It’s not a waste of time if you are having fun and relaxing with your hobby. And it’s certainly not a waste of time if the hobby is paying you back! Yeah.. this’ll buy a few batteries and or some gas to get to and from ..”wasting time.” <grin>
I hope you all have had a good time or two while I’ve been away, and/or will in the near future. Get out and waste a little time.. and GET SOME! Happy Hunting Everyone!

~Frodov

Upvote 0

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on those hunts. :icon_thumleft: I see you did get a little bit of everything and getting just over $17.00 in clad is good in today's economy.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Frodov,

It is good to see you back in full stride. I always enjoy a good read from an author named Frodov. ;D

Kirk

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
allen said:
looks like you did a lot of digging
to get all of those treasures !

Actually, for a change, I *DID* do a lot of digging.. well.. lots of digging over weeks of hunts that is. I was surprised that I didn't find more surface finds in the fair grounds parking (big grassy field) or at the art fair site in the park downtown. Oh sure, I found some stuff on the surface, but most of it was well under the grass roots and in the dirt meaning it had been there for a year or more at least.
I'm not complaining though, <shrug> I mean "digging" is a very VERY big part of this hobby to begin with.. right? <grin> I "can dig it!" <laughing>
I'm hoping to get out again this weekend, perhaps later this evening (Sunday) afte my wife and I return from the Kentucky State Fair. *sigh* but then, maybe not.. I still have yard work waiting on me too.. bummer! <shrug> I'll get out when I get out I guess. Meanwhiile..

~HAPPY HUNTING EVERYONE~

Frodov

garbageman

Mar 20, 2009
Joliet, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Tesoro Tiger Shark
I've missed your posts while you were away. You did great for having such limited digging time. Welcome back and try not to be gone so long! HH.- Garbageman

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to see you back in the swinging again. Looks like some great finds too. That little short, stubby screwdriver looks old...they don't make em like that anymore.

:wink: RR

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Nice bunch of finds - the shell could be an old shotgun shell - before they went to paper and plastic. Can't be sure if the size is right.

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
H Fro,
Nice hunting finds. Yes I agree, I am always surprised how little I find on the surface at fairgrounds or after a festival. I guess everybody uses credit cards now so no need for change.

Rings are a great find for anyone. Give them to the lady relatives and you will see how they come alive!!

SKD

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
River Rat said:
Great to see you back in the swinging again. Looks like some great finds too. That little short, stubby screwdriver looks old...they don't make em like that anymore.

:wink: RR

Even when I don't find anything at all.. which is rare indeed... even for me.. I have a good time detecting. Finding ANYTHING is a bonus in my opinion. Finding coins (mostly what I look for anyway) certainly makes me happy. Finding a little bling now and then is like icing on the cake! Finding the odd, the unusual or even the occasional useful item like a lost or discarded tool is always a welcomed event as well. That stubby little screw driver may be old, but it's not ancient or even an antique. I found the stubby at that downtown park where the Arts Fair had been held, on the surface no less, so obviosly someone had been using it up until very recently. I'll continue using it myself, from time to time, I'm sure. It's in the side pocket of my passenger side door in my little truck. One can never have too many tools after all. <grin>
I wonder what I might find the next time out detecting.. guess I won't know till I actually find it huh? <grin>

as always...

~Happy Hunting Everyone~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
SoreKneesDayton said:
H Fro,
Nice hunting finds. Yes I agree, I am always surprised how little I find on the surface at fairgrounds or after a festival. I guess everybody uses credit cards now so no need for change.

Rings are a great find for anyone. Give them to the lady relatives and you will see how they come alive!!

SKD

<laughing> I had thought about that before actually, giving whatever rings and things I find to my beloved wife. She actually took the time to look at most of the finds when shown to her, but gracefully declined. Most of the "bling" I find or at least have found to date, isn't very pretty jewlery. Even the real silver and the rare gold finds. <shrug> Oh well, I'll keep detecting and keep adding whatever bling I find to my growing collection of wayward (even if ugly) jewlery.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Evan/tn

Jul 7, 2009
Detector(s) used
spectra V3,MXT
great bunch of digs
glad to hear your getting out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread