Metal detecting on Anclote Key

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting on Anclote Key was amazing. Even though I found absolutely nothing!!! Thats right nothing at all, it was still worth it. Just check out the view in the picture! My timing couldn't have been better either. Just the night before there had been pretty severe storms in the area so I felt that the odds were in my favor. I haven't done much beach combing so the fact that I found nothing falls on my inexperience. My lesche is a great tool but it seemed that the further I dug the deeper the object sank. Holes quickly filled with salt water and the shallow trowel blade made scooping difficult. I brought the lesche out this afternoon and man you should see what that salt water did to the blade! Completely covered in surface rust! Nothing a brillo pad wouldn't fix however and it's looking nice and new again. That lesche is hands down the best trowel I have used to date. Any how sitting at Rusty Bellies, sun burnt and sticky, the white sand lingering between my toes I found that I was very grateful for the time I had on the island. No I didn't find that 30 karat diamond ring a gentleman claimed he had lost, but I do have the memories. On the way back everyone wanted to talk about treasure hunting and the local lore. You just can't beat that experience! Save for finding a piece of Gaspars lost treasure.

Attachments

• 1470083374044.jpg
    1470083374044.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 217
Upvote 0

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Troller, great post! Even though you didn't find anything, just getting out is half the fun..it's not the destination, it's the journey..thx for the story...ddf

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice story, and a great picture.

Last time I was out there the Park Ranger advised that there was no detecting in this State Park.

Did they change the policy? Is beach hunting only allowed?

Otherwise, I'd love to poke around the lighthouse a bit.

On an interesting side note: Brad Culpepper (NFL dude) dropped his wife Monica off on the north end of Anclote Key. She practiced building shelter/fire and survival skills prior to appearing on the TV show Survivor.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were in sand, I would think a sand scoop would have worked much better than a digger. Anyway, nice post and glad you enjoyed the outing.

OP
OP
Troller

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story, and a great picture.

Last time I was out there the Park Ranger advised that there was no detecting in this State Park.

Did they change the policy? Is beach hunting only allowed?

Otherwise, I'd love to poke around the lighthouse a bit.

On an interesting side note: Brad Culpepper (NFL dude) dropped his wife Monica off on the north end of Anclote Key. She practiced building shelter/fire and survival skills prior to appearing on the TV show Survivor.

In regards to the legality of metal detecting on the island I called several places to find out if I could detect on the beach. No one really seemed to know the answer. Since we were being taken out there on a charter I asked the captain if he ever saw people on the beach metal detecting and he said I saw it all the time. Probably not the best approach but at that point I had tried every other avenue I could think of.
I like the interesting side note. I didn't realize that. I have to say being out on that island in the relentless sun and heat would be a daunting task! We were only out there for half a day and I was questioning the wisdom in decision to beach comb there.

OP
OP
Troller

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were in sand, I would think a sand scoop would have worked much better than a digger. Anyway, nice post and glad you enjoyed the outing.

Yea I meant to purchase one before we left for FL but time got away from me and I forgot. Still I was only 45 min from Kelly co. You'd think I would have stopped in and grabbed one, but old vacation brain here said, "your trowel will do just fine"
Lesson learned!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions